“A great place to stay!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Mela

Ranked #244 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Bradford, Pennsylvania
“A great place to stay!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

I have stayed at the Hotel Mela for the past 6-7 years. It is definitely my hotel of choice. The location is great, rooms are beautifully appointed, and the service is the best. As far as I am concerned it is the only place to stay

James Guelfi

1 Thank James G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (615)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

The journey to New York wasn't an easy one, we arrived at the Hotel Mela tired, achey and ready for our bed. When we checked in we were upgraded to a king room and I have to say it was one of THE most comfortable hotels I've ever stayed in.

We didn't have view (unless you count the building next door a view) but it didn't really matter as we spent most of the time our and about anyway. But the room was a lovely size, just enough for two. The bed was extremely comfortable and the toiletries left in the bathroom were divine.

Our room was very close to the lift so we thought we'd hear the noise of the lift all night but not once did we hear any noise from outside the room.

The staff were lovely, at check in and check out. Check out was particularly helpful and gave us perfect directions to the airport via the train.

The location was also top notch, steps away from times square but just far enough back that you could catch your breath and escape the noise. Plenty of bars and restaurants on the doorstep.

The hotel was beautiful, well maintained and very modern. We will definitely return!

3 Thank rachp11
Riverisde
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

Overall check-in, room, and location was great! Checkout went fast and we used there car service to the airport. 45 minutes after I checked out I received a notice from my bank about a large charge. The hotel charged my card $1600 when I checked out. I called right away and was told they do not know why and I had no additional charges. I was informed they would refund the money right away. Well three days later and I still do not have my money back. $1600 is a lot of money to be waiting on. This is poor customer service and not the way to run a business.

• Stayed May 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank JJones2416
HotelManagerMela, General Manager at Hotel Mela, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Hello Ms. Jones,

First thank you for writing a review on your recent trip to the Mela.

Also I want to personally apologize about the mishaps upon checkout; please know your credit card was authorized the amount of your stay and has hence been released given your reservation was indeed prepaid. We do apologize for this and we take guest service very very seriously.

Please contact me directly if I could be of any assistance to you.

Warm Regards,

Nick Ivezaj
Direct: 212-710-7008
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

When we arrived our reservation had a mix-up. The hotel manager exceeded our expectations in making this dilemma have a great ending. Our room was upgraded to a suite and while the suite was being prepared, the manager hosted us to wine and cheese in the bistro. Never has a manager gone so out of his way to make a bad situation perfect. The location is great. There is a diner down the street called The Red Flame (next to the Algonquin) that is great for breakfast or lunch. If your trip is to enjoy theaters, Times Square, and have excellent service, The Hotel Mela isyour best choice.

3 Thank HarrietteTaylor
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

Hotel Mela is a good option if you are looking for a property near Times square. Our room was small (hey, it’s NY) but clean and the common areas were very nice. It is walking distance from Times Square and the theater district. Included with our stay was breakfast at a restaurant (Saju Bistro) next door to the hotel, making our stay an even better value. The only drawback to be cognizant of if you stay here is the mini bar. Be warned. It has sensors to tell them if you had any cocktails, water, or snacks. Well, when we checked out we had $40 of mini bar charges on our bill and never even opened the bar. It appears the problem was not just with us as we met 2 other couples when checking out that had the same issue. And management did remove the charges. Not a deal breaker but something to be aware of.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris E
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

Absolutely great value considering the location. Our room was clean but small, which did not worry us as we were only in the room to sleep. Also, who cares when you are located 100yards from Times Square! We will definitely be back to this hotel on our next visit to Manhattan. Thanks.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cheryl D
norwich
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

The hotel itself is fairly pleasant. It is well decorated and a quiet hotel offering 24/7 security/assistance in a perfect location in New York for a very good value price point (I paid £70 per night). However the rooms are small, now I have been to NY many times and I mean these are really small (you could only get out of bed on one side because the other was against the wall) but fine for the solo traveller I was. The view was a bit dark facing the back of the street, and meant the room felt quite dark - pretty lucky as there was no curtains (however I have experienced this elsewhere in New York) and the room was very quiet.

The next things to mention as others is that the wifi reception is too weak in the rooms or work effectively, so consider this a wifi in the lobby only facility. The water pressure is very strong, now I'm not sure if it's just me, and I've never had this problem before but I spent the whole time in this hotel being electric shocked, I had to touch everything with a piece of card (light switches, tv lift everything!) and I didn't have any problem once I left the building, so not sure what that is about.

The thing that really made my trip a disappointment was the checking out process. On checking in they take a $50, I think per night? Deposit. Effectively $100 was authorised on my card. Three weeks later, this money is still authorised on my card! So I tweet them, for which they were very quickly to reply and I send the derails via direct mail. I was told somebody would be in touch shortly but they were not. I retweeted and somebody then email me and said it was actually the bank that I needed to contact as they had lifted the authorisation. I was busy at the time and went to contact the bank a couple of days later to see the money had been returned, something suggests they had just forgot about it?! They also said next time they can take the despot by cash - unfortunately I don't think there will be a next time now, especially as my bank still charged me the currency fee so I was effectively out of pocket for them holding the deposit.

Previous experience aside, the following makes me believe the hotel are trying to rip off customers. On checking out the bill is put under your door and there is an 'automatic minibar' in the room, where if something is taken out then you are charged for it. On my bill were 3 items-and I hadn't even opened the door! As soon as I mentioned this they instantly removed them - they did not even check if the items were there, makes me think they are trying to sneak a few extra $ from you if you get a good deal on the room rate, so watch out!!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!