“Best Trip Ever!!”

Ranked #265 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Montreal
“Best Trip Ever!!”
Reviewed 24 February 2009

My sister and I stayed at the Mela Hotel for 5 days and we truly had an amazing time! If you're ever thinking of going to New York for a few days, Mela Hotel is the place to stay. Not only was the room clean, but we were right next to Time Square and pretty much everything else! Hardly had to cab it anywhere, since we were from a walking distance to most places. The Service at Mela was excellent! Everyone was welcoming and truly helpful. Excellent beds and pillows! Really comfortable. All in all, we both had a wonderful time and would stay at the Mela Hotel again, without a doubt!

Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank HanMontreal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (639)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
San Diego
Reviewed 22 February 2009

I'm going to give you a brief yet descriptive description of my trip. I arrived at the hotel at 5am with my significant other, exhausted we were hoping a room would be available even though check-in wasn't until 3pm. At first the front deskman was a bit rude but he warmed up to us (I guess he isn't a morning person) and managed to find us a smaller room than the one we booked and we were happy to take it and rest after our travels. Never in my life have I had a front desk person CALL the room 5 minutes after we walked in to make sure it was suitable. (And I've stayed in many nice hotels). Simple but showed their customer service was already going to be outstanding.

Around noon another call to our room was placed saying the room we booked won't be available for the night and we would have to stay in my opinion what was an EXTREMELY small room, almost dorm like. Clean yes but too small for my taste in what I figured was to be a nice hotel. I was fairly annoyed seeing how it was Valentine's Day but they quickly remedied the situation with a free breakfast AND upgraded 2 room sizes the following night since we were staying for 4 nights total.

Our next room was much bigger and nice minus the "modern" shower that really wasn't so great as water kind of splashed all over. Not a big deal, but letting you know and the bathrooms have very little room to put your toiletries on the counter or lack there of. I was woken up to construction at 8am (5am California time). To say the least I was pissed. The manager was extremely apologetic, offered to move us immediately, and we were to have dinner on them at the restaurant next door. I believe Kevin and Nick were the 2 managers I spoke with, they also gave us a bottle of wine, bottled water, and juice for the inconvenience. We also got a choice of 3 different rooms, 2 different layouts.

Overall, the customer service is outstanding. Never have I had better service and almost everyone was nice and accommodating. Some 5 star hotels I've stayed at don't give a crap about you as you're a number and if you would like something extra, good luck unless you want to pay a lot. If you're looking for a huge lobby when you walk in and for there to be 10 people at the front desk to greet you and an option of restaurants and bars in the hotel, this isn't the place for you. To give you an idea the elevator can't hold more than 4 people. If you're looking for a hotel with an amazing location, clean, great service, nice people, and decent rooms than this is the place for you. You can walk anywhere and there are restaurants and bars all over the place within 5 minutes walking.

2 Thank bgreen519
Illinois
Reviewed 19 February 2009

I recently stayed at Hotel Mela in New York: a wonderful boutique hotel in the heart of Times Square. The hotel was pleasant enough but what really sold me was the wonderful bell attendant, Josh!!! OMG, he rules!!! That guy was wonderful; he helped carry up ALL of our luggage and then - as if that wasn't enough - charmed our brains out with his witty puns! My daughter and wife could not take their eyes off him he was so damn handsome! with his broad shoulders and rippling arms, he moved as gracefully as a jungle cat. He is so professional and knowledgeable, it's incredible he isn't a front desk manager or GM!!! Needless to say, I told him how great he was and gave him a huge high five! Awesome job Josh, i love you!!!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
Nottinghamshire
Reviewed 18 February 2009

Just got back from a 4 night stay at the Hotel Mela.
We were there for my wife's birthday and valentines day. The location is great as it's just steps from Times Square which has everything you'll need.
Also really handy for getting around all the major tourist sites. We did everything by foot, apart from the financial district which was a bit further out.
The room we had was really nice and a lot bigger than i thought it would be. Lots of space and a lovely comfy bed too.
The staff are really friendly and always happy to help out. John Paul helped us book theatre tickets and a river boat cruise.
If you get chance, go and see Chicago.. brilliant.
Would definately book to stay here again.

1 Thank markrodgers1980
Boston
Reviewed 17 February 2009

We loved this hotel. The pros of this hotel far outweigh the cons. You need remember that staying in NYC is unlike staying in any other place, so you need to consider size, location, service, noise and other factors. If you want a very clean, well-appointed, European style hotel in a central location with a friendly staff, don't overlook this great, small hotel:

Pros:
-Hotelmela.com is a great web site that explains all hotel amenities accurately
-When reserving by phone, they honored lowest rate found on the web (hotels.com)
-Clean, recently renovated, well appointed rooms and bathroom
-Free wireless internet
-Friendly and helpful staff which attended to our needs quickly (unlike at big hotels)
-Great, centralized location right off Times Square
-We got a free upgrade to an Executive Jr. Suite for joining their free Desires program and paid only $188/nite plus tax!
-Excellent room for short business trip or couples getaway
-We arrived early and they held our bags until we checked in
-We got late checkout until 1pm and they held our bags all day
-We requested a quiet non-smoking room, high floor, away from elevators or outside traffic and they gave us exactly what we wanted (as expected and desired, the room had no view - buidings only, not the street - which is exactly what you need in Times Square in order to get some sleep)
-Good food/bars nearby; subway nearby; cabs on street whenever needed; near parking
-Turndown service with Dove chocolate (not sure if this was because Valentines day was the previous day)
-Overall great value for the price and amenities

Cons:
-Small lobby (BUT exactly as expected based on other boutique hotels); waiting room around the corner near the elevators; crowded at check in time
-Small rooms (BUT no different from any other boutique hotel - get the square footage and compare to other hotels in the area); wouldn't be good for a week's stay (but great for 1-3 nites).
-Small elevators (4 people max).

My goal was to find a nice hotel in Times Square for one night and this hotel was perfect!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AJacksonBoston
New Zeland
Reviewed 16 February 2009

No, no - second time. The view is wonderfull - WALL

Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Rhode Island
Reviewed 15 February 2009

Great location! Great staff! Comfy room, not large but enough space and very nice. Near everything and if you get a room high up and in the back it's very quiet--except for the pigeons! :) Loved it, will stay again for sure!