“A wonderful tribute!” 5 of 5 bubbles

28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“A wonderful tribute!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

We ended a Slavery and Underground Railroad Tour by Inside Out Tours here. It is a beautiful museum and very moving. It brings history to life. I think this is a must for anyone who wants to learn more about American history and the people of America.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank Jodie P

Missouri
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Very good museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

To be honest, we visited African Burial Ground National Monument simply because I never miss an opportunity to visit a national park site while I am traveling. I can't say that I had any particular interest in visiting this national monument. But we found it to be very moving and interesting. The monument, one of the smallest sites in the National Park system, is a little hard to find if you are not familiar with the area. We visited the burial ground first, before finding the visitor center, and we found it to be a stark, moving experience. The visitor center/museum presents the history of slavery in New York City, and it does an excellent job of relating the recorded experiences of slaves and free blacks in the city. Because the visitor center is on the first floor of a federal office building the visitor must pass through a thorough, airport-like security screening before entering. This diminished the experience a bit, but it should not deter prospective visitors.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank parksenthusiast
New York City, New York
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Very moving tribute!!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

I have to say the African Burial Ground N.M. is a moving site. I have been visiting the NPS sites in NYC and was moved by the memorial. Here is my short break down regarding my experience at the African Burial Ground.

1. Airport style security is a bummer but the site is located in a Federal Building so I understand.
2. There were no Public tours of the site, there was a knowledgeable ranger speaking with a group but I no guided tours for the general public. We visit NPS to get the ranger tour and this was a little let down. A ranger was nice enough to answer some questions for me when I stopped one passing through.
3. The Memorial was closed. I was disappointed because it looks lovely.
4. The exhibits were well done.

I enjoyed visiting the African Burial Ground, I will say that offers a different view on slavery which is made clear was not just in the South.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Frank160
Hebron, lsrael
166 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 263 helpful votes
“Slavery Wasn't Just in Dixie!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

The African Burial Ground National Monument is the gravesite of hundreds of black Americans, both slaves & free black people, who could not be buried in Trinity Church's cemetery. It was discovered in 1991, when construction began for the Federal building here. There is a memorial outside, which can be seen quite well from the street, but there isn't really all that much to see. Inside is a small museum, free of charge - a rarity in this expensive city - which is long on the general history of slavery, but pitifully short on information about the actual human remains found HERE. A better place to learn about slavery is the Underground Railroad Museum in Cincinnati, Ohio.
More evocative is what ISN'T said: that slavery was not just in the South. Every one of the 13 colonies had slavery; the slaves were usually brought in by Northern opportunists; they generally arrived at Northern ports; & the most brutal slave-owners were Northerners - as portrayed even in Harriet Beecher Stowe's UNCLE TOM'S CABIN. Absentee Northern slave-owners were much more likely to be cruel to their slaves because they weren't around full-time to face their victims; the 5% of Southerners who owned slaves, overwhelmingly treated them well, & gave them good conditions, for the simple reason that they were valuable commodities, & very expensive!

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Dave S
Raleigh, North Carolina
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Moving. A real tribute to those that broke their backs for us.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013 via mobile

We visited early one Tuesday morning to find the movie system on the fritz. Without dropping a beat Ranger Doug took over our visit and provided a personal guided tour of the facility. It did not take long for the passion to shine through. The facility is the most interactive one I have been in recently. You can touch the exhibits, hear the sounds and almost feel the pain of the individuals and the loved ones left behind. We had not known what to expect from a National Monument in a Federal building but were really surprised at the quality and depth of the materials.