“Bed bug warning”
Review of The Grant Hotel

The Grant Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
The Grant Hotel
Ranked #421 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 26 November 2006

This hotel certainly offers value for money, and is in a good location only 1.5 blocks from the subway. There are also some nice restaurants a short walk up broadway (especially recommended is Regional, just a short walk up broadway for a lovely Italian)

The bathrooms were also cleaned regularly and rarely had to wait at all.

Unfourtunately this was all let down by the bed bugs. Having read through the reviews on this site it seems several people have experienced this as well and quite a few havent so seems to me this is not a hotel wide issue. We were in room 319 initially and when I complained to the reception they were more than happy to move us and didn't seem phased at all, so it seemed to me something they were rather used to. We were moved to room 510, and I think the bugs were in there too as i ended up with an arm and upper body covered in bites which become quite inflamed and required me to visit a doctor after leaving New York for treatment.

My advice overall would be to avoid this hotel just incase, and if you are offered room 319 or 510 make sure you change straight away - the staff didn't seem like they were going to do anything about getting rid of them in our first room!

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
5  Thank MattFromLondon32131

Reviewed 22 November 2006

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night and it was great. I booked it through expedia so it was a lot cheaper than calling the hotel directly or using hotels.com. ($50 cheaper!). The only downfall is the shared bathrooms. I never had to wait and they were fairly clean, but I would have preferred my own bathroom if I could've afforded it. It was really close to the subway, restaurants, and riverside park. It was also very quiet! You would never think you were in NYC once you actually got inside the hotel. It's perfect if you're busy all day in the city and just want a quiet, warm place to sleep at night. They also had a tv with cable, but we only used it to check the weather.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JennyJen2009
Reviewed 14 November 2006

We went to NYC for the weekend to see the Dane Cook show. I went with my two friends and my boyfriend. We got two double beds in one room for $148/night. I tried to lower their expectations, I had read mixed reviews on this website. I told them we would have to share a bathroom in the hallway and they all thought we were staying in a hostel. Anyway, we arrived...the front lobby kind of smells "old" but not gross or anything, just old. It was an old building and reminded me of my grandma's apartment in Chicago. The elevator is pretty small but really, that is one of the only complaints I have! The room was clean, the AC worked great, the tv had a bunch of channels but really, we only wanted a place to sleep, we spent most of our time out shopping or on the town. We brought extra sheets, but I didn't use mine. I did bring a towel though, make sure you do that, the towels they provide are very small. Overall, everyone praised my decision, said I did such a good job finding a cheap hotel that was clean, and comfortable. I would absolutely stay there again. And no, I don't work for the hotel (my friends all said the good reviews on this website probably came from the people that work there) but I disagree since the staff doesn't really speak English that well. If you want an affordable place to stay choose here. It's about a 10 minute cab ride from Times Square or about 15 min on the subway, which is right up the street. Definitely reccommend it!!!

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with friends
3  Thank mskelly83
Reviewed 12 November 2006

I always wanted to visit New York so in April of this year I decided to go with my mum. Having booked everything through Expedia and looked at the Hotel pictures and reviews it seemed ideal. When we arrived we were welcomed by the friendly staff, who took a short time just to take details and we were given our key.

There was ample space in the room, massive cupboard and more importantly it was very clean. The rooms were cleaned daily. We were on a floor with I think 6 other rooms and granted you could hear everyone opening and shutting doors but the noise was kept to a minimum.

Shared bathroom was immaculate but we had to get up before 6 am to get a shower otherwise it was after 10 before we got in.

In all I had no problems with my stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2006
2  Thank oOo_Dee_oOo
Reviewed 5 November 2006

Stayed one nite--woke up to bug bites--not the worse i've experienced, but still not good. otherwise, place was pretty nice. Can't go back b/c bedbugs will bite!

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dave999909084
Reviewed 1 November 2006

We have just returned from 5 nights stay at the Grant Hotel New York..

The rooms were a good size ( 2 double beds), lots of tv stations (we even got to watch lost series 3!) and a big cupboard to put all our cases and shopping in!! Compared to other places we have stayed in New York it was brill (West side Inn aka crappy side Inn)

When we arrived we found the bathrooms to be very clean and water always hot. the only times the bath rooms were left in a mess was when the other people left it without cleaning up after themselves usually at peak times morning and night (ignore previous bad reviews stating cockroaches etc as we found it to be absolutely fine

Not far from the station at all 2 blocks (2 mins), and the dinner on broadway near the hotel is fab for breakfasts.

would recommend getting a metro rail card to get round the city and $21 7 day unlimited its a bargin

we took the advice of others and took a cheap pillow each from the pound shop and they came in very handy, hotel supplies towels but we took cheap ones and left them there too.

looks like the hotel has been recently renovated looking at the top floor which is being done at the moment.

be prepared for a bit of a wait for the bathrooms in the morning but thats to be expected (there are 3 on each floor)

all in all a good hotel and we would definately return in the future

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with friends
3  Thank gymqueen52
Reviewed 28 October 2006

This hotel is not exactly a hotel - it's more of a b&b without the breakfast or a campground without the tents or a hostel without sufficient facilities. There isn't so much as a lobby, just a counter in the hallway. There are only two one-person-bathrooms per floor which means you might not have the opportunity to use a bathroom for a long time, and when you got the opportunity make sure you bring your own toilet paper and your flip flops as the floor might be flooded.

At night it can't be calm as the a/c was fitted in the window in an improvised way. No view, a lot of noises.

All in all too much too bear to pay $160 per night (October 23, 2006).

One-star-rating for not meeting roaches or bedbugs! (Half-star-rating wasn't possible)

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with family