“Nice, clean and comfortable” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wingate by Wyndham Manhattan Midtown

Wingate by Wyndham Manhattan Midtown
Ranked #328 of 467 Hotels in New York City
London, UK
“Nice, clean and comfortable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2008

Stayed here in mid Sept, we had a standard 2 bed room, which was shared by 3 people. The room was quite small especially when we were all there at the same time, but was perfectly fine in every other respect. It was clean with very comfortable beds, the bathroom was small but adequate (also very clean), and our room was right at the back so no street noise at night at all, apart from when they had a live singer in the bar downstairs one evening. Helpful front desk staff, breakfast wasn't great but not bad considering it's complimentary. We usually had breakfast down at Andrews? Coffee House just one block away from the hotel. Would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone on a mid range budget.

• Liked — Midtown location and very comfortable rooms
  • Disliked — Free breakfast
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2008

Nice hotel and friendly staff but a few problems. The noise in this place is terrible at least in the front rooms as garbage trucks seem to go all night. They have a white noise generator in the room but it still doesn't drown out the noise.
I stayed 5 days and never got clean towels.

• Liked — clean
  • Disliked — noise
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
santiago
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2008

Nice room and amenities. Very warm staff. The noise was awful all day , but unbeareable at night with the garbage trucks working all night in front of the rooms located at the front.

never return to this place.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
nashville TN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2008

my stay at this hotel was one of the best parts of my trip to NYC. The people that work there seemed to be the only friendly service personel we met. We were on the back side of the hotel and did not hear any noise from dump trucks, and my phone(at&t) picked up fine. You can walk to almost everything, but I don't suggest it. you will end up walking or standing in line the whole trip. we took a bus tour and got some great pictures. there was plenty of space to hold our clothes and the beds were fantastic. it was a nice haven to go back to after an exhausting day of sightseeing.

• Liked — staff, location
  • Disliked — no views
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2008

Having read many good reviews we booked to stay at Wingate for 2 nights and I've got to say I will stay here again. Reception were very helpful. Rooms were clean, decor was good. Rooms were not cramped. Free breakfast was a bonus but we were up early everyday so did not have problem of breakfast running out. Free internet access / computor was also so useful. It's right next to Macy's - which is so convenient. I would highly recommend this place. Next time I go to NYC I will be staying here again

• Liked — convenience, clean
  • Disliked — no pool
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
philadelphia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2008

We stayed at the Wingate last weekend for the U.S. Open, and the convenience to Penn Station and the LIRR was unbeatable. The front desk was helpful and friendly, the rooms were bigger than many in NY, and the free breakfast was, well, free.
There were, however, some problems. I realize that $250/night is fairly cheap for midtown NY standards, and I am all for ecologically friendly hotels, but . . . . we were given two used soaps in a new soap box. The other issues were that the shower curtain had lots of mildew on it, the bathroom was generally not clean, the air conditioner was extremely loud, and the walls were paper-thin. Moreover, as everyone else has noted, they often run out of breakfast food.
Overall, a decent experience -- but the hotel could use some improvements.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
cowboynyc, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Manhattan Midtown, responded to this review, 10 September 2008
We strive to provide the best possible customer experiences for each and every one of our guests. We are always disappointed when one of our guests expresses unhappiness with their stay at our property, but we take their comments and use them to assist in training for the future. Our housekeeping department is trained to place new soap boxes into the bathroom, we do not open the boxes and inspect them for defects due to sanitary reasons. It is unfortunately the guest believes the soap they received was used soap and if that is indeed the case, it had to happen during the manufacturing of the soap. We have contacting the soap manufacturer to determine if they have changed how they process and deliver soap to us. The hotel has also conducted a thorough inspection of all guest rooms to ensure that there is no mildew growth and that all rooms are cleaned to the highest possible standards.
Buffalo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2008

I am sitting in my room this very minute writing my review because I am so pleased with our experience here that I could not wait until I got home. I just came upstairs from eating my fantastic FREE continental breakfast. Eggs, sausage (bacon yesterday) bagels, toast, cereal, muffins, belgian waffles, fresh fruit, 4 kinds of juices, coffee and specialty teas. I am not even sure if I got everything. The room is exceptionally clean, and very roomy by NYC hotel standards. The front desk people have been more than kind and friendly. I personally booked this room based on these reviews only, so that is why I am writing mine so quickly. Everything is within walking distance and for the price I don't think there is a better deal out there. My husband and our 2 young daughters were here for a yankee game and the american girl doll store. It has just been a wonderful experience and I am so sad to leave tomorrow. I would highly recommend this hotel and for sure would stay here again. Oh and the fridge is great for leftovers with the microwave on top to reheat them. Free wireless internet also worked perfectly. If I could give this hotel 10 stars I would. Not one single complaint about anything. This is the best hotel in midtown and a great value for the money.

• Liked — free breakfast
  • Disliked — liked everything
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family