“Boutique hotel”

Ranked #35 of 468 Hotels in New York City
DC
“Boutique hotel”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel recently on business travel. The one thing that was consistent is that the guests are HAPPY staying at this hotel. It really made me wish I was traveling for pleasure but what can you do!
The staff to each guest was so accommodating and I just wanted to take a moment to note my experience. Nick made my stay. Omar made my colleague's stay and I am so thankful. My colleague and I were preparing for a stressful meeting and I arrived much earlier than the team, Nick made sure that I had a place to work and connect online. Our presentations were delivered to the wrong hotel, Omar went to that hotel and picked up our presentations so that we didn't have to worry.
The hotel sits off the beaten path but still is 1 block from Park Avenue so, if you want the feel of a downtown hotel and still want to be near the park, shops and restaurants, this is a great choice.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Matt S, General Manager at The Lex NYC, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Greetings from The Lex NYC,

I wanted to personally thank you for your stellar review on our hotel. It is comments such as yours that motivates the team at the hotel to achieve excellence. We all have pride and passion when it comes to servicing our guests and it is great to see that this proved true during your visit. It is great that you got to be on the receiving end of both Nick and Omar's fantastic service skills. They indeed are the face of the hotel and are a true asset to the property. I will be sure to share your comments with them and it only motivates them to push even harder. We would love to have you back as our valued guest shortly and we wish you well until that time comes.

Matt Slippoy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014

My dad booked this hotel for our five day trip in NYC.
The rooms are basic but perfect for the fact we only spent time in them to sleep, they are modern, clean and comfortable. exactly what you need after a long day of sight seeing in NYC.
My dad had a very small room compared to mine with no bath (just shower) and no wardrobe; also he could hear through to the other rooms. My room on the other hand was great spacious and I heard no noise at all from other rooms.
Breakfast is a pick up and go type of option but it suits the sight seeing type, the staff are extremely accommodating and know the area like the back of their hands, so can help with local attractions.
I would stay at the Lex hotel again and I would recommend to anyone looking for a comfortable, modern and clean place to stay in central Manhattan.

Room Tip: Room at the end of the floors are quieter and bigger. Also rooms at the front of the building have...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 May 2014

First of all, the front desk staff was very friendly and attentive. Our room was huge with high ceilings and plenty of space for 4 people. The beds were comfortable, bathroom was sparkling clean. We had no issue with noise. They served a light continental breakfast in lobby for a "grab and go". We will definitely stay again next time we are in the city as is suited all of our needs.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Hello From Your Friends At Lex NYC,

I wanted to personally thank you for your fantastic review on our hotel. Nothing is more important to us than receiving feedback from our valued guests. It is comments such as yours that allows me the opportunity to take a deep look at our current product and service in order to exceed my goal of constant improvements. I was very happy to see that we were able to provide you with a perfect stay. We pride ourselves at ensuring that each guest leaves our property with a fond memory and your 5 star review shows that we hit that goal. Please contract us directly next time you are in NYC and we will make sure that you have another perfect stay.
Matt slippoy
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Stayed at this hotel very recently. The room was adequate but had no drawers for clothes, had paper thin walls and no double glazing, hence very noisy. Bathroom was adequate. Breakfast consisted of croissant and muffins plus coffee or tea, served in paper cups, paper plates and plastic utensils. All this is located in Hotel lobby, seating is on high chairs, some of which are real health risk.
The staff are marvellous, very helpful and friendly.
The location is good but not great.
Trip Advisor has this Hotel vastly overated.

3 Thank photographie1659
Greeting from the Lex NYC,

I wanted to personally reach out and thank you for sharing your comments on your recent visit with us. We take guest feedback very seriously and I was saddened to see that we did not exceed your expectations of what you have come to expect when staying at a hotel. We always strive for a perfect 5 from all of our guests and I wanted to apologize for us not hitting that goal with your stay. Our team works very hard at ensuring that all of our guests leave happy and they are not satisfied until this takes place. Please feel free to contact me personally should you wish to discuss your concerns further. I would like to get some specifics on where we fell short so that I can put changes into place to hit our goal of constant improvements. Being a new hotel, we value all feedback both positive and negative so that we can continue to make memories for our guests. I hope this stay has not tarnished your thoughts or feeling on our company and hope for the opportunity to serve you again shortly.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Quiet, good size room (for NYC!). Comfortable bed and excellent bathroom (with bathtub). Staff were very friendly and helpful. Good mid-town location, walking distance to both lower villages and times square. For the low-end price, this hotel is outstanding value and would recommend highly to anyone. We were lucky to stay on the top floor room 705 which has a small balcony and great city views.

Room Tip: Rooms 705 and 707 have great city-skyline views.
3 Thank LaurenC8080
Matt S, General Manager at The Lex NYC, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Wow!!! what a great review. I am delighted to see that you found a suitable home away from home while in NYC. Our team is dedicated to providing perfect stays for all of our guests and it looks like we accomplished this goal with your stay. Please contact me directly next time you are in NYC and I will personally set you up for another perfect stay.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Trip advisor always served us well in the past. But I am very disappointed this time.
The biggest problem is the noise.
The wall is paper thin, but it is bearable as the other guests will not be chatting all the time.
The TRAFFIC NOISE outside however is horrendous, non-stop.
Room is TINY. Okay for single occupancy. For couples like us, we could not unpack properly as the the storage is limited - wardrobe is small, the hanging rail is shorter than the depth of the wardrobe (not deep by any means), there were no drawers for underwear ....
There is no kettle, no microwave, not even a drinking glass in the room. If you want a hot drink, you have to to go out.
Location is not that great, being on the 24th east street.
The positives: The staff are polite, the room is clean.
Ps, I did ask for a quiet room, but it was not available unless I was prepared to sleep underground. I was given a room close to the elevator.
Overall the hotel fell short on sleep quality, in-room facility by a long chalk, especially with a price tag of over $350 a night.

10 Thank Nianyuling
Matt S, General Manager at The Lex NYC, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Greetings from The Lex NYC,

I wanted to personally reach out and thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent visit with us. After reading your comments, I was alarmed to hear that your stay fell below your expectations. As you can see from other reviews we strive hard at ensuring that each of our guests stays is a perfect 10 and as the other reviews show, we had hit that goal with almost every guest that has stayed in the hotel. I understand that we will not be the hotel for everyone as each guest is an individual who has their own expectations of what they want to get out of their hotel stay. I understand that for your needs in NYC that we were not the hotel for you and that honestly saddens me. I did want to comment on a few of your notes, First, our room size is actually on the large side for NYC. Land comes at a premium in NYC and therefore room size is smaller than other areas of the world but as far as NYC goes we are some of the lager rooms in the city. You also stated that there were no drinking glasses in the room which is not the case. Each of our rooms is equipped with 2 drinking glasses in the bathroom for guest use and we would have been more than happy to send up extra glasses to your room if needed. Also, most hotel rooms in NYC do not come standard with Kettles or Microwaves. I wish we would have known that you had wanted these items as we would have been more than happy to go out and get them for you at no cost. Either way, we want all guests to be happy and while we have been very successful at hitting this goal, I understand that with your stay we failed at meeting your expectations. For this, I sincerely apologize. If you should wish to discuss these concerns further, please feel free to contact me directly at gm@lexhotelnyc.com. We wish you well in your future travels and hope that this stay has not tarnished your thoughts or feelings on our company.

Matt L. Slippoy
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed over Easter weekend and really enjoyed our time here.
We got in early and check in was a breeze.
The hotel staff are so nice and helpful, it really makes all the difference in the level of service! They really went out of their way to ensure that we enjoyed our time there.
We stayed in a Queen room with a comfortable bed, decent sized room with a large bathroom (bonus hair dryer!), and good sized closet.
They also offer a complimentary continental breakfast with fresh pastries + coffee which was lovely!
Great location, near Madison Square park (Shakeshack!) and Eataly and Flatiron are a few blocks away!
Convenient location and close to the subway. Honestly, I would stay here again, it was quiet at night and that's important in a city that never sleeps! We walked to 34th and beyond *shopaholics* and found it really reasonable to walk/cab it to and from the hotel, quite convenient!
Close to Park Ave and some great coffee spots (Fika) etc.

Can't go wrong with this hotel, I'd highly recommend it! :)

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Hautesucre15
Matt S, General Manager at The Lex NYC, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Hello and thank you for your stellar review on your recent visit with us. We love making guests happy and I am delighted to see that our property, staff and location worked well for your visit to NYC. Please feel free to contact me personally next time you are in the city and I will set you up for another perfect stay. Until then, don't be a stranger and keep in touch.