“great location - insanely loud!!”
Review of Duane Street Hotel

Duane Street Hotel
Ranked #191 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 5 October 2008

Great location to so many things, subway is very close and you can walk to Chinatown, little Italy, and the financial district. The staff was very friendly. All good, except when it came to sleeping. We were on the third floor, and I have never stayed in a louder room in my life. It faces Church st and the windows have zero sound proofing. I could hear people talking on the street! It got so bad that I had to buy ear plugs and eye covers which makes for an absolutely terrible sleep. We got the room for $300 a night, some people paid $500 as I heard another guy complaining at the front desk about the price and the noise. I ended up getting sick because of sleeping only 5 hrs in 3 days and getting run down. Nice hotel, just don't expect to sleep a wink!

Stayed: September 2008
1  Thank Furleybird

Reviewed 17 September 2008

Boutique hotels usually have a charm to them, so I avoid big hotel chains when I travel. I stayed for 2 nights and found it not so restful. First, the customer service were mildly friendly, but not that attentive once I was checked in. The room I had was very, very small and filled with cheap furniture. It was noisy, I had to wear earplugs to sleep well at night. The food was ok, but boring, not anything reflecting the price. If you're in nyc, might as well go elsewhere. Not what I usually expect from a boutique hotel.

• Stayed: July 2008
2  Thank H0spitality
Reviewed 22 August 2008

Recently stayed at the Duane Street hotel while traveling for business. It was perfectly adequate for a one-night stay where I was really only in the room to sleep. Room was clean but tiny, but it's Manhattan so that's to be expected. Decor is stylish and modern. Convenient location. One of my traveling companions was upgraded to a Deluxe room and she said it was spacious and great. I'd stay again depending on the price--recently looked to book another trip and it was $100 more than last time, so I booked elsewhere. Though a nice boutique hotel, not worth a premium price.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 August 2008

Just returned from this great little hotel in the tribeca (Triangle below canal) neighborhood of new york city. My fiancee and I stayed for four nights and fell in love with the Duane Street Hotel.

Staff was great (especially the door men), concierge was well informed and efficient (Maggie was the best). Rooms were small-ish, but reasonable by new york standards. Loved the hardwood floors and beautiful bedding. Made the room feel extraordinarily clean. The small sweet treat that was left for us each night was also delicious!

We had breakfast each morning in the restaurant because our rate included breakfast. Service was great, and the food was awesome!

We noticed, as others have, some noise from the street and the construction that was taking place outside, but it wasn't enough to keep us up at night. Once we laid down in the insanely comfortable beds, we were out like light!

We will definitely be back to the Duane Street Hotel! We had a great time, and we can't recommend it enough!

Cheers!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 16 August 2008

Stayed for 5 nights end of June/beginning of July. Room was small as expected with tiny closet and nowhere for luggage but as this was the start of a longer trip we did have 16 days worth of luggage.

Fresh and bright decorated room but as noted already, design of bed, whilst having a comfortable mattress has a wooden base that it is easy to walk into and get bruised from. No fridge. Also safe in closet slightly too big for closet so closet door wouldn't shut properly. Not a problem, just poor design. Another design fault (due to size of room no doubt) only one bedside light. Flat screen TV.

Small bathroom, but no smaller than most hotels (could do with a hook for the bathrobe, actually could do with a second bathrobe - why not have enough for the number of guests in a room? Our Boston hotel did the same - is this a new trend?) Shower was a rain shower so not very powerful. Nice toiletries in bathroom and decent hairdryer.

Very noisy outside of hotel as some sort of roadwork going on - not sure what it was but a sort of giant orange and white cone covering a hole in the ground that was always noisy. Not the hotel's fault and I always bring earplugs anyway.

Location was good, very close to subway so easy to get anywhere and away from the midtown madness, so much more peaceful away from the crowds. Really liked staying downtown.

Found all the staff to be very pleasant and helpful. They accepted a package for us before we arrived (Yankees tickets from Stubhub) and brought this to us as soon as we arrived.

So a few negatives about the design (from somebody who prefers practical to pretty) but yes I would return if the price stays reasonable (well NYC reasonable) due to the location and the staff.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
GM_Duane_Street, General Manager at Duane Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2008

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences at the Duane Street Hotel! You kind comments about our team of hotel professionals has been shared with everyone!

We continue to hammer away at the small design inconveniences and value the feedback!

In the spirit of hospitality,

Andrew Dorough

Reviewed 1 August 2008

I've stayed in NY many times before and each time i do try somewhere new. this time i chose Duane St because i enjoy the feeling of Tribeca with its easy walking access to soho and the village. and because the hotel was very new. Im glad i did as it was probably the best stay so far. I couldnt really fault the hotel at all.

stopping here was extremely comfortable and i would say the friendly staff really made everyone feel very welcome. (i noticed there seemed to be British people at the time?!). they went out of their way to accommodate everything we asked for...even special requests that they couldnt do at the front desk and the manager went out of his way to make sure it was all ok.
The bed, like someone said before, was so comfortable i didnt want to leave, amazing chocolates on the pillow in the evening, great bathroom with a reasonable size bedroom and because it has so few rooms it felt alot more relaxed and personable than any of the other larger ones.
the whole time i never heard any noise from the other guests or from inside the hotel. but i could understand how the street noise from Church that all the rooms look out onto, may cause some people discomfort. at the time they were doing roadworks from 8pm till the morning but it still didnt disturb me. i would recommend asking for the top floor like we did.

overall no problems stopping here at all, especially if youre looking for quiet friendly and extremely clean! (free internet access and ac in the rooms).
the guy at reception, i think called Sebastian also needs a mention as he was always there making an effort.
and u can always and i mean always get a taxi straight away from outside on church st. subway station is very close too.

minor things some guests might want to know.
-the hotel has no ice machines, but everyday house keeping would fill the ice bucket for us just incase.
-the corners of the bed were so sharp as it has a shelved lip, that i came back with alot of bruises due to not much room to manouver round the sides of the queen bed.
-the lift is very slow, but it only has 6 floors so who cares.
-i didnt see anyone use the bar or small restaurant, but its New York you dont really need to.
and why do you only get one robe these days?!

all the rooms seemed to be pretty much the same, so no budget option but no penthouse style suites either, just functional rooms. and has everything really you need.
i will keep going back here as i left feeling a sense of trust. excellent for a 3star hotel in NY. and away from the usual tourists.
there probably was some teething problems still and i did hear some other people vocalizing issues. but we had absolutely none. came back feeling really positive about our stay.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 31 July 2008

Went to the Duane because it was the only room available below $400 the night I was in NYC for business.

The room was totally clean and decorated in a new, modern style. The staff was friendly and helpful. The location is near many good casual restaurants. I enjoyed staying there.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business