“Good for quick trip” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #219 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Houston, Texas
“Good for quick trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

I stayed here for business, thought the price was comparable to other NYC hotels. Room is small as to be expected but well appointed. Nice to have in-room coffee and tea. Good style, clean, comfortable. Gym was very small but never shared it with anyone so it worked fine. Already have booked this hotel for my next trip this month.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Tamra W
George K, Director of Sales at Hotel Hugo, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Tamra,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback on our hotel - I am glad that you had a pleasant stay, and was delighted to see that you already made plans to return. If you can email me at gkurth@hotelhugony.com with your stay details, I'd be happy to block out a great room for your stay, and make sure that you have extra coffee and tea waiting for you.

Enjoy the weekend,
George

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Bronx, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

I decided to bring my mom into the city for Mother's Day weekend, the hotel staff was very helpful and friendly. I called the hotel to let them know about the special weekend we had planned and upon our arrival they had an amenity waiting for us, my mom was lost for words on how well the staff treated us and paid attention to detail, we had a beautiful room with an amazing view of the river and a very nice restaurant, the location was amazing we were able to walk around to Greenwich village, soho and little Italy and the weather was just perfect for this. I have to say this is one of very few hotels that actually looks like the pictures on its website. I strongly recommend anyone to stay here.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
HotelHugoManagement, Director of Sales at Hotel Hugo, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Hello MannyNYC,

We're very honored that you and your mother chose to spend Mother's Day with us. I'm so very pleased to hear that our staff was able to make that time memorable and special, and that you both enjoyed the location. We hope you will come visit us again very soon.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

OK I promise this is the truth, I never have seen so many people so emotional about a hotel in my life. I was a flight attendant for AA for 10 years and travel extensively and I promise this is not the horrible hotel some people suggest. Two of the reviewers with the horrible reviews are actually girls I went there with, and somehow we really did have 2 different experiences. I was happily greeted when I arrived, I was asked if I needed help with my luggage. The front desk lady was very nice. The hotel was clean and brand new, cool design and felt safe. I asked my housekeeper for extra shampoo and she left a bunch, fancy brand :), I had to work on the temperature gage but it did work after I figured it out. They had a cool safety lock on the door. The beds are so comfortable with soft fluffy white comforters. There are a few delicious restaurants right around there. I think the price was a little high for opening month and that might have made people more annoyed. I have stayed at Trump Soho, 60 Thompson, The Mercer, Soho Grand (in its day) , The Gansevoort (in its day) this place is on par with these hotels. I ordered room service, it came quickly and was delicious. I didn't wait a long time for the elevators. Yes there were some cool looking trendy attractive people at the restaurant and if the hotel hired them, then good for them it might the place look enticing. I kind of think any place that brings up these kinds of emotions most have something to it! The best part was the manager personally called me and offered me either a complimentary night in the past or in the future and took the future. I am happy to go back! I will give some negatives, fire alarm ok I am sure they can fix, location, is maybe 2 blocks out of where I would exactly want to be but heck I can walk 2 blocks :) Hotel Hugo is a good choice for a downtown area hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank crazzi1234
Hello crazzi1234,

Thanks for taking the time to share some thoughts about your recent stay. We sincerely appreciate the passionate defense and all of the kind words. It's very exciting to hear that the property, staff and management were able to make such a wonderful impression on you and we look forward to seeing more and more reviews like yours. Please come back and see us again.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night in April.
Found the room to be clean. AC worked well. Still smelled like varnish- just recently opened.

Location is decent. Close to Holland Tunnel and Soho/Tribeca.

Valet was a little slow. Room wasnt ready. Pretty pricey for a smallish room. Never received a call from front desk when my room was ready.

I feel like a lot of these new hotels are very similar. Small room, "artsy" photo or montage on the wall, etc. Not very original. Just ok.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Glider,

Thank you very much for your feedback on our hotel. You had some nice things to say, which we appreciate, and also pointed out some opportunities for improvement, which we also appreciate. On that note, we are working to improve our process for turning rooms over to get them ready for guests after a previous guest's departure, and also on communicating better with guests on their rooms status.

While I certainly respect your perception of our rooms, I did want to point out a few unique features about them that you might not have been aware of - there are aspects of them that are not really typical at all. The decorative wooden paneling and furniture in each room is a high gloss Italian maple that a team of 27craftsmen flew over from Italy to install. The artwork is actually photographs taken by New York based photographers of New York subjects, several of which are right here in lower Manhattan.

I do hope that you'd consider coming back and staying with us again. If so, please contact me directly at gkurth@hotelhugony.com - I'd love to make sure that you are well taken care of.

Enjoy your weekend,
Largo, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Stayed at this brand new hotel in a great location. Staff was friendly. Rooms are well appointed. Great gym and meeting room. The lobby was most impressive with the live green wall. Would definitely stay again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Hello Mary,

Thanks for all the wonderful comments. The green wall is quickly becoming a guest favorite. I'm so glad you enjoyed. We hope to see you again soon.

George Kurth
Macedon, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I found Hotel Hugo two weeks before we had to come to New York for the 5 Boro Bike Tour. The previous hotel reservation I had wouldn't take our bicycles. The staff at Hotel Hugo were very helpful with our luggage and bikes. They still have a few kinks to iron out, but seeing as they had just opened I would hope that it will only improve. I will recommend to others.

• Stayed May 2014
Hello Valerie,

Thanks for taking the time to share some thoughts on your recent stay. I'm pleased to know that our staff was helpful and accommodating with your bikes. And I just wanted to thank you for your patience as we continue to work out the kinks that inevitably go along with a grand opening. I'm very pleased to know that our guest services out-shined any kinks. Once again, thank you for taking the time to rate us on tripadvisor.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I travel a lot and have stayed at many hotels but hotel Hugo (aka Hugely Horrible ) was by far the most unorganized, poorly planned and staffed place I've ever stayed. It's not worthy of a single star.
No one greeted us or took our luggage when we arrived. The front desk clerk didn't have our reservation correctly. She knew little about the hotel or the neighborhood. Like every staff member I met she said they'd just opened and were working out the kinks. In the elevator we met the first of many guests who were unhappy with the hotel and warned us of long waits for the elevators (they put in 2 instead of the 4 they needed). Our room was boiling hot when we got there and after waiting forever for someone to fix the temperature we came back after dinner to a 59 degree freeze. The clocks were set wrong, there was no toilet paper or cups in the bathrooms and some of the electrical outlets were installed wrong so they didn't work. Additionally, the walls are paper thin so we heard conversations not only in the hall but in the next room.
At 4:15 am last Saturday night the fire alarm went off and the entire hotel had to walk down the stairs (we were on 10) in pajamas or robes, barefooted and dazed onto Greenwhich street. The staff said not one word. They offered zero explanation. Since we saw no fire we figured it was an accident. Guests who'd been alert enough to remember their keys walked up the stairs to their rooms. The NYC fire department came leaving no one at the desk to make duplicate keys so the other angry, half naked guests waited 45 minutes to go back up, it went off every 30 minutes after that. No one slept.
The next day everyone complained but the staff was not only rude but expected us to be happy their alarm "worked."
When a couple asked to leave their nightmare stay early the hotel locked them out of their room by changing the key so they couldn't get their stuff unless they paid in full. I'm pretty sure that's illegal. The guests called the cops.
The hotel offered no compensation other than a free night on our next trip. You couldn't pay me to stay there again.
Last , there is only one bathroom on the entire first floor of hotel Hugely Horrible and it's in the restaurant . I overheard many complaints about that mistake.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Julie N
George K, Director of Sales at Hotel Hugo, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Julie,
I am very sorry that your stay with us was such a negative experience for you. We had a number of major issues this past weekend, and in some cases they even compounded each other. That's not an excuse, though - we could have, and should have, done better in managing those issues as they arose. Most notably, the fire alarm going off in the middle of the night could only be disruptive to a good night's sleep, and resultant issues (some with equipment, some with training) made it worse. Please accept my apology on behalf of the hotel.

I would love the opportunity to discuss your stay with you, and explore any possible way for us to make amends for your negative experience. I also wanted to privately explain a bit more regarding the other guests you observed in the lobby. They were not locked out of their room for trying to shorten their stay. The issue was quite different there, and while I cannot share that issue in a public forum like this for their protection, I would like to explain it privately to you.

If you'd consider giving me a few minutes of your time, please email me at gkurth@hotelhugony.com with a phone number I can reach you at - I'd be happy to call you at our expense.

Again, I am sorry for your trouble.