“Did not meet expectations”
Review of Hotel Hugo

Hotel Hugo
Ranked #210 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Pros:
-friendly staff
Cons:
-thermostat was broken and stayed at 78 degrees on an 88 degree day
- valet parking price was more than quoted on site and the in/out policy was not explained during purchase
-shower design causes bathroom floor to flood

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ali K
George K, Director of Sales at Hotel Hugo, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

I am so sorry that you were disappointed in your stay with us. As a brand new hotel, we did find ourselves experiencing several bumps in the road upon opening, and I wanted to let you know that several issues you mentioned have been addressed. After hearing several guests point out the air conditioning issues, our cooling system has been entirely reprogrammed, and the issue has disappeared. Also, we scripted more detailed information about valet parking for our guests, and trained the front desk and bellman on delivering that information. I share this because I did want you to know that your feedback was heard and listened to.

If you would consider giving us another shot, I would be delighted to handle your reservations personally to ensure that have an enjoyable experience. Or, if you would like to discuss your past experience further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Best regards,
George Kurth

Reviewed 28 May 2014

My wife and I had an excellent experience at this hotel! It is ideally located next to all that soho and tribeca has to offer. You can even take a run along the river. Cant wait for the rooftop bar to open it is going to be a great feature and hangout. The restaurant downstairs, Principe, has amazing food and so is the room service. Every room has pillows that are embroidered with "HH" which also gives the hotel a nice tough to go along with the new finishes. Highly recommend to other guests!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
HotelHugoManagement, Director of Sales at Hotel Hugo, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Hello Alex,

Thanks for the kind words. It's very nice to know that you and your wife enjoyed the location so much, as well as the restaurant. And thanks for noticing all of the details. I'm sorry the roof top bar was not open at the time of your visit. But it's the perfect reason to come back and visit us. :-) We hope to see you again soon. Thanks for taking the time to rate us on tripadvisor.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

My husband and I stayed there for 2 nights (5/25-26) and our room exceeded all expectations. It was most comfortable, very quiet (despite several reviewers claims to the contrary), and very nicely furnished. The elevators were fast and large (again, contradicting some reviewers complains). The staff was very charming and helpful. Reading OOBonomist review, I am sorry we missed the breakfast, especially since there were very few breakfast places in the walking distance (less than a mile). Hope to stay there again on the next visit to NYC. Ruth N

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rut20

Hello Ruth,

Thanks for taking the time to rate us on tripadvisor. We sincerely appreciate the feedback. It's always nice to hear that we were able exceed expectations. Thanks for the many kind words. We hope to see you again on your next visit to NYC as well.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed 5 days . Beds were very comfortable but rooms lower than 10th floor facing Hudson River were noisy because of UPS godown operations in the wee morning. The hotel is very new and location was a bit far from from the shopping fare but if you wanted a less hectic experience, this is a good base to check out NYC. Its a 10min walk to Greenwich Village and Spring street boasts of the best eateries. The Hotel is also within walking distance (25mins) via Hudson River to High Line and Chelsea markets.
The service was notable especially the front office staff who helped us with a lot of bookings and arrangements. Special thanks to Travis we managed to get our flights and other hotels arranged.
The hotel has its limitations in terms of amenities and provisions for kids and elderly and we had an overall good stay thanks to the staff.

Room Tip: Choose rooms above 10th floor for a view
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
HotelHugoManagement, Director of Sales at Hotel Hugo, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Hi Gillian,

I just wanted to thank you for choosing Hotel Hugo and for taking the time to rate us on tripadvisor. I am especially pleased to hear that the service was the stand out feature of your stay. And I will certainly give Travis your thanks for assisting with your travels plans. WE hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights for a work trip. It's a boutique hotel in Soho, a few blocks from all the hustle and bustle but walking distance to everything. The room was very clean, modern, and they had the softest bath towels I've ever had in a hotel. Overall, I loved the hotel - plus, value was very good. Paid $360, which I'm sure will go up once the get a good base of customers.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank heathweb78

Hello heathweb78,

Thanks for taking the time to share some thoughts about your recent stay at Hugo. I'm very pleased to hear how much you enjoyed the location. It's such a unique area and was always our first choice. Also, thanks for the compliments regarding the bath towels. I'm so pleased that they made such an impression. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I traveled here on business and stayed for 7 nights. I found the hotel to be instantly charming and welcoming. The staff, especially Travis, were so helpful and tentative. There was a leak in my room the first night, and when I mentioned it the next morning it was fixed by the time I was back from the office. It is a new hotel, but they seem to be getting the hang of it. Although the rooms were small, they were clean with comfortable beds and stunning features. The hotel was conveniently located near SoHo and the West Village so it was easy to find different options for food and activities.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Hi Jayne S,

First of all, I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to rate us on trip advisor and for sharing some thoughts about your recent stay. We sincerely appreciate the feedback. I'm so pleased to hear that your initial impression of the property was charming and welcoming. We couldn't ask for a better compliment than that. I also wanted to apologize for the leak, but I am so pleased to hear that our staff responded promptly and corrected the issue. Your patience and understanding in this matter is greatly appreciated. We hope to see you again on your next visit to the area.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

This hotel, on what could charitably be called the edge of TriBeCa, is betting on the renaissance of a section of the Lower West Side that seems to have escaped the gentrification sweeping over the rest of lower Manhattan. It quixotically rises, beautifully designed with street seating, right across the street from a UPS depot that is ugly even by the standards of UPS depots. (If you get tired looking out at that, you can always look at the Fedex depot up the street.)

Judging from the other reviews, they still have some kinks to work out in the accommodations (I wouldn't know -- I didn't stay here), but I'm here to tell ya that the breakfast -- the ricotta pancakes in particular -- are world-class, gravity-defyingly light and accompanied by an exquisite fruit-and-pecan compote. The restaurant service is also excellent. (It isn't exactly cheap but if you want cheap, walk over to Hudson Street.)

Room Tip: I didn't stay there but just looking at it, I can tell you do NOT want to face Greenwich Street...
Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Hello OOBonomist,

I'm not sure we could ask for a more wonderful or more eloquent review of the ricotta pancakes at Il Principe. We thank you kindly. We look forward to hearing from you again in the future.