“Gorgeous Views”
Review of Hotel Hugo

Ranked #227 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“Gorgeous Views”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Hotel Hugo was a beautiful gem in downtown Manhattan. I chose it for its location, but would go back for property. The rooms were spacious and comfortable (compared to other NYC properties), and the rooftop bar offered stunning views of the Manhattan skyline and the Hudson River.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

HotelHugoManagement, Manager at Hotel Hugo, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear Stuart,

I'm so pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. Your kind words are warmly received. From everyone here at Hotel Hugo, we hope to see you again very soon.

David McManus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
New york
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Best hotel on NYC .... This from a person who has spent then 100 nights a year staying various hotels in NYC .David McManus the hotels GM has created a unique atmosphere that reminds me of the Morgan hotel when it first opened

• Stayed August 2014
HotelHugoManagement, General Manager at Hotel Hugo, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the entire staff, your flattering comments are warmly received. We hope to see you again very soon.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 4 August 2014

The hotel is a true gem. I stayed 10 days and it was a bit bumpy the first 2 nights but after that
it went from good to awesome.
The rooms do lack closet space and there is more desk furniture than needed. I would have designed the room with less desk and added a small place for drawers.The restaurant could use
a bit more variety in the menu.
Despite the "growing pains" the new hotel is going thru..the staff is great!!! Melissa at the front desk made all the difference in me staying or leaving. After I spoke to her about some issues she turned
my stay into: GREAT ! She went beyond her duties to accommodate me into a much nicer room,gave me VIP treatment with a big smile. Melissa even went as far as making my hair appointment . This young lady made the difference. The entire staff is new but are eager to help
and they enjoy what they do. They made all the difference by always being helpful in their own way. Matt,Xander,Travis,and Jose congrats!
One thing...the menu in the room is different than in the restaurant ,this needs to be corrected. Overall I would return and tell my friends about it. Enjoy the new rooftop bar WOW !!! The view, the ambiance !!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard are dark,if possible ask for a view of the Hudson River.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Beba5353
HotelHugoManagement, Director of Sales at Hotel Hugo, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very kindly for the thoughtful review. I'm so pleased to hear that our staff was so warm and accommodating. I could not ask for a better compliment and I thank you on their behalf. You are absolutely correct, we are a brand new hotel and are still working through some of the kinks, so your patience and understanding is greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to share such kind words about your stay. On behalf of all of us at Hotel Hugo, we hope to see you again very soon.

Nagoya, Japan
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I should make a disclaimer that I haven't yet stayed at this hotel, but the service (or non-service) I've received so far actually prompted me to go out of my way to give it this rating. I would have probably just let it go and chalked it up to experience if not for their direct marketing email this week.

I emailed 4-5 times in the month leading up to our stay, coming up this month.
Explaining that 1) It's our honeymoon and 2) I'm posting a sim card to the hotel for pick up on arrival of our check in. Could they please confirm this would be ok?
3) We are checking in again later for a 2nd stay.

I emailed both the reservations and sales email addresses, as well as going through the contact form on the website AND Facebooking their profile.
Have so far had no response whatsoever.
The last straw was when they sent me some ridiculous automated email saying they're waiting for my arrival and will do anything to help, just drop them an email! Even though it's automated, you can see that their service is just for show.

If we weren't going to be left with no accommodation at all in NY so close to arrival I think I would cancel this hotel, it's left a bad impression and I'm apprehensive of staying at a hotel that could potentially ruin our honeymoon.
I'm not asking for a handwritten letter with frangrant flower petals all over it, really a quick line saying thanks, we'll look into it would have more than sufficed for me.
Basic Service 101 I would have said. Like everyone on tripadvisor, we all travel, but this is by far the worst pre-arrival service I've had.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I just wanted to take a moment to apologize once again that your emails were not received. I know that our staff has been in communication with you and I was under the impression that your concerns had been addressed and that the situation had been resolved. If that is not the case, please feel free to email me directly. I can say with much certainty that this was, in fact, a rare instance. We are certainly not in the habit of ignoring guest inquiries. So, please accept my sincere apologies. A quick glance at many of the reviews should indicate that guest experience is our number one priority. Though I can understand and apologize for your initial frustration, we are looking forward to the opportunity to change your opinion during your upcoming stay. From the beauty of the hotel to the hard working staff to the mesmerizing views from our rooftop bar, I trust you will be delighted at every turn and I am convinced that you will write a wholly different review at the end of your stay.

Once again, if there is anything I can do for you, please do not hesitate to ask.

dmcmanus@hotelhugony.com
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 August 2014

If you need to do business while in New York, skip this hotel. The business center is a joke. If you rely on concierge services for information and assistance, once again, skip this hotel. Also, their room service menu is not up-to-date, so how do you order room service without going downstairs to the restaurant to look at the actual menu? The service at Hotel Hugo needs an upgrade. Finally, it is across the street from the UPS delivery center - so loud and ugly! I go to New York a lot, and I will never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 1 August 2014

My friend and I stayed here for 5 nights. Beautiful hotel, very unique. Great restaurant and bar. The rooftop bar was amazing! I don't get why people are complaining about the elevator, it was fine. And every room in the hotel looks exactly like the pictures.
The staff was very helpful, nothing to complain about. We recommend this hotel! Very fancy, luxurious. Just my taste :)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Challe89
Dear Guest,

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for sharing some thoughts about your most recent stay. We very much appreciate the wonderful feedback, as well as the recommendation. Your kind words are warmly received. We hope to see you again very soon.

NYC
Reviewed 31 July 2014

This is a beautiful hotel! We had no problems with noise - and faced Greenwich Street (9th floor). Beautiful room and great amenities - plenty of towels, shampoos, etc. But even better than the room and the newly opened roof is the staff. I've never experienced such a lovely, helpful, attentive staff in any hotel. From the doormen, to housekeeping, and especially to the front desk staff- specifically Matt and Xander. Just mind boggling fabulous! A really great find!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Sara K
Dear Guest,

I can't tell you how much it pleases me that the stand out feature of Hotel Hugo was our staff. Your kind words of praise are warmly received. We couldn't ask for a better recommendation. If there is anything we can do for you on future visits, please do not hesitate to ask.

Enjoy the day,