“Outstanding Performance, Bring Plenty of Tissues”
Review of Mothers and Sons on Broadway - CLOSED

Mothers and Sons on Broadway
More attraction details
Owner description: MOTHERS AND SONS is a timely and provocative new play that explores our evolving understanding of family in today’s world.Written by Terrence McNally, MOTHERS AND SONS stars Tony and Emmy winner Tyne Daly (Gypsy, Master Class, “Cagney & Lacey”) alongside co-stars Frederick Weller (“In Plain Sight,” Glengarry Glen Ross) & Bobby Steggert (Big Fish, Ragtime). Tony nominee Sheryl Kaller directs.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Outstanding Performance, Bring Plenty of Tissues”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Tyne Daly's performance is absolutely brilliant. You could feel the repressed, pent up anger that her character has from every seat in the audience. Although people dying from AIDS is a rather unpopular and anachronistic topic these days, Terrence McNally brought it to current times. As a person who lost many friends during the eighties it was a profound reminder that we should never forget and the impact of the losses will be felt for centuries. I sobbed profusely, as did most of my neighboring theatre fans. I don't think there was a dry eye in the house. Go see it. Feel it. Love it. One great piece of drama.

Fairborn, Ohio
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“An Absolute Must”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

This production is a must see for those who enjoy dramatic plays. The story of a mother who, twenty years earlier, lost her only child to AIDS. Tyne Daly is the mother whose bitterness and anger has consumed her life, seemingly due to the death of her son but ultimately other elements come into play. A history lesson for those who did not experience the early years of the HIV/AIDS epidemic and a memory play for those who did. A true examination of love and family values. Although a drama there is much humor throughout and much to think about.

California
108 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“Very Good.”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Starring Tyne Daly this is an engaging play in our view marred by the fact that we had a hard time understanding the younger of the two male characters and the little boy. Would recommend requesting wireless hearing devices.

Visited May 2014
Wolcott, Connecticut
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“Excellent Show”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Tyne Daly was flawless. Not a move or a gesture or a word that wasn't absolutely part of her character. The rest of the cast was wonderful as well. Painful subject but just when you thought you would break because it was hard they injected humor. It was a perfect balance. the topic is tough but important an the message was very powerful. Would see again.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank mrsomes
Norwalk, Connecticut, United States
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 98 helpful votes
“Not quite my cup of tea....”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I knew the storyline before going, so wasn't exactly expecting this to be Disney on Ice, but it was really very heavy and depressing. I mainly went because Tyne Daly is in it and I wanted to take advantage of the chance to see her. I am a teacher, so I was able to get a very inexpensive ticket through my TDF membership - otherwise I probably wouldn't have seen it. I don't think it's playing for much longer - not sure if it's a limited engagement to begin with or if it's just not doing well (there were lots of empty seats on the orchestra level - couldn't see the mezzanine). I'm always up for taking in a new show - especially when I'm not paying much for the ticket - so nothing lost/nothing gained.