“Good and Just Shy of Great”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Exhale Spa - Central Park South
New York City, New York
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Good and Just Shy of Great”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I came to Exhale with a friend for a little spa day. We each had a 60 minute massage and a 60 minute facial. I was greeted by a really lovely man at reception and taken back to the changing room. The changing room is comfortable and well-appointed. You are among the people who are changing before or after their yoga, pilates, or core fusion classes, however, which kind of makes you feel like a slug if you're only there to be pampered, but I suppose you could take a class and then hit the spa and feel good all around!

After changing into a nice robe (kind of uncomfortbale hard plastic slippers, though), I went to the spa lounge with my friend to wait for our services. The lounge area is soothing and dark--there is water, tea, and heated neck pillows.

I had my massage first and the the massage therapist was very, very good. She paid attention to the areas I asked her to focus on and was very competent. The massage beds are amazing--heated and so comfortable. The only downside to the massage was the massage therapist was a talker. I may have encouraged this by answering her questions, but what choice do you have when someone is asking you questions? I'm sure some people like to chat it up during their massages, but I'm not one of them and I think massage therapists should let the clients take the lead with respect to conversation. But all in all, it was a really good massage.

Next I had a 60 minute facial. The facial was top-notch; the woman did an excellent job with extractions and my skin looked fantastic afterwards. There was a bit of upselling and trying to get me to buy products, but I think that's pretty typical for a facial and she wasn't pushy (and I didn't buy the products).

So, I'm feeling pretty great about this place. Sure, the slippers hurt my feet and I didn't really want to talk during my massage, but the services themselves were very good and I liked the atmosphere. I'm leaving thinking I will definitely come back and then...checkout. I don't know what I did to make the receptionist (a woman in glasses, not the friendly man who greeted me on my way in) so hostile, but she was unnecessarily rude. She told me I owed more than I did (after she added in the gratuity I asked her to add) and when I asked her to break it down, she was huffy and gave me serious attitude. Turns out she simply said the wrong amount (transposing two numbers), but when I said, "oh okay, I heard you say X," she snapped back, "no I didn't!" It was just weirdly aggressive. Sad that this was the note I ended on because I liked the place otherwise. I may still go back--just to a different location!

Visited March 2012
2 Thank travelmoog

New York City, New York
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Overrated”
Reviewed 3 January 2012

I was given a revise and rejuvenation package as a gift. It started with the fusion massage which was average. Then I had the fusion facial which was the best part of my experience. Then I had a manicure and pedicure....The area was not clean where the manicure and pedicure was given and it began chipping the next day. I have been to other spas around Manhattan which have been wonderful.. I was looking forward to a wonderful experience considering where in the city the spa is located but walked away disappointed. Not worth it.

Visited December 2011
Concord, Massachusetts
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Aaaah, relaxation!”
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I've been to Exhale Spa when visiting NYC several times, & love it every time. The staff are professional, the facilities have everything you need, & it's incredibly clean & kept that way. The masseuses are second to none! I've had massages with Serena & Barbara & highly recommend both. They just know what they are doing, & when you're done, if you aren't almost jelly, there's really something wrong. The classes are good too - took a yoga class. I'm a total beginner & been other places where they say beginners are welcome, but it's really not the case. At the Central Park South Exhale, they really mean it, and are very helpful. I'm going back next time I'm in NYC!

Visited August 2011
1 Thank WallabyGal
Midwest
“AHHhhhhhhhhhhh”
Reviewed 15 October 2009

Delightful. I would highly reccomend yu treat yourself to a facial, then relaxing massage. They are so customer friendly and thier boutique is adorable!

LA & NY
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Exhale Spa - HIGHLY OVERRATED”
Reviewed 22 February 2009

highly HYPED & OVERRATED - their "core fusion" is just another variation of core yoga work - you can get equal or better classes at gyms around town MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE.

1 Thank JoshChris