“Poor supervision and pushy instructors with no sense of proper teaching skills” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Trapeze School New York

Trapeze School New York
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Trapeze School New York (TSNY) is dedicated to making flying trapeze available to anyone who seeks inspiration, challenge, fitness or just a couple hours of unique fun! Our mission every day is to create a safe, fun, challenging environment where our students strive to surpass limitations and feel the freedom of flight. All experience levels welcome, come see what you can do!! Forget Fear. Worry about the addiction! (R)
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Stairs / lift, Activities for older children
Hellerup, Copenhagen, Denmark
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

I see that a lot of people have rated this experience as a 4 or 5 and I am happy that they had an amazing experience. My husband and I expected to have a similar experience, but it did not go that way at all.

It started off with an instructor that was to show us how to do the first stunt. In this first stunt we were told that we would swing, pull our knees over the bar and release our hands. Is this an appropriate first stunt activity for an "all levels" class? Surely it would have made sense to have people overcome the first boundary of just stepping off the ledge and swing back and forth a few times.

When I cautiously asked the instructor if it was "okay" to just swing in the first stunt his reply was "You can do what you want, but this is Trapeze School....".Not very motivating nor empowering considering one is about to step off a ledge with a stranger holding you back.

Well for me and for one other participant, we very anxious. I eventually went up the ladder and stepped off the ledge and decided to not do the "proper" first stunt but just swing back and forth. When I was then told to let go off the bar, the timing was so off that I landed on my legs, was swung backwards in a somersault where I landed badly on my neck. My upper back/neck was so sore after that jump that I told the instructors that I would not go back up for the next stunt.

The other participant who was as stunned about the level of ambition of the instructors, went back up for a second stunt (this, by the way, was meant to be done as the first stunt + a triple backflip...(!) ). On the ledge, she became so nervous and was only worsened by the instructor who did nothing else but freak her out even more (he thought he was "coaching") to the point where another instructor was about to go up the ladder to calm down the situation. What eventually happened was that the participant jumped off the ledge after all, but only swinged back and forth and was clearly upset by the whole situation (she cried and did not want to address the instructor on the ground).

This situation was my dealbreaker, and we decided to tell the instructors that we did not have confidence in their abilities, and we would therefore leave now. The reply was "well, you have paid, right? So you're free to go". Instead he could have asked why we felt we had to leave/how they could improve etc.

This just confirmed to me that these people should not be instructing people on an "all-levels" class with such level of ambition. This was supposed to be a fun event where we could build up our self-esteem by doing something as simple as jumping off a 5 metre high ledge and just swing or do whatever we felt like. But instead you felt like a failure for not doing triple backflips/hanging stunts etc.

They could have improved this experience so much more by doing simple things:
1. Asking the participants what their expectations of today's class was/ambitions for today
2. Adjust the communication to the participants according to their ambitions (if you want to swing, you're a star! If you want to do triple flips, you're a star!)
3. Re-think their staff
4. DO WARMUPS! Because we did not do a warm-up, I strained a muscle in my upper back and my husband tore a ligament in his stomach that required 2 weeks of recovery because of no warm-up.

The audience for this class should be prepared to do actual stunts and not just simple exercises, and be warned that this exercise can strain your body if you're not a natural gymnast.

Visited October 2013
9 Thank Viyan L

zurich
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Super fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

We did this on a Saturday morning. The staff are very friendly yet professional. They make the moves seem easy and take a lot of care in looking after people. My only wish would be that the class size is smaller so that each person can get more time on the trapeze (we got 3 turns each in a group of 12).

Visited September 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Wonderful experience and great staff!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

I recently participated in my first Trapeze course this past weekend. I had no idea I would be able to do this at 49, but it was a blast. This was one of the most amazing challenges of my life.

The team was wonderful and encouraging. Overall a fun, well run and addictive experience.

A big shout out to the team that works there - from the trainers to the office and photographer.

I highly recommend!

Visited September 2013
Brisbane, Australia
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Extremely Fun and Addictive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013

I am new to trapeze so I booked myself in for two 2-hour flying trapeze lessons in one day. I had so much fun that I actually went back the next day for a silks class which I also loved. The instructors are very friendly, happy and full of life. They give you great personal feedback throughout the lesson and are certain to give you a boost of encouragement if needed. I would love to relive this experience again and wish I could also have tried the trampoline and static trapeze as they also looked fun. The high-up outdoor location also means that you get great views of the surrounding New York area. Be sure to bring sunscreen if needed.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank kateemily96
Colorado Springs, Colorado
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Bucket List”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2013

This should be on the top of your bucket list. It is one of the most amazing experiences of my life. Although it is a bit anxiety-provoking and may make you suddenly have trust issues when the person holding onto you tells you to lean out past a tall ledge, you should work past it in order to have one of the most memorable moments in your life. I had so much fun that I went back a second time in the same week. I recommend getting the DVD with the pictures.

Visited May 2012