“A fun experience”

Trapeze School New York
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Trapeze School New York (TSNY) is dedicated to making flying trapeze available to anyone who seeks inspiration, challenge, fitness or just a couple hours of unique fun! Our mission every day is to create a safe, fun, challenging environment where our students strive to surpass limitations and feel the freedom of flight. All experience levels welcome, come see what you can do!! Forget Fear. Worry about the addiction! (R)
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Stairs / lift
Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A fun experience”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

My wife and I tried Trapeze School New York a couple of years ago, and can't wait to give it another go. Be warned, if you're afraid of heights (like I am) it may be difficult for you, and you'll be more successful if you have well-developed abs, but the instructors make it fun for even beginners such as ourselves. If you can manage a "catch" on your first lesson, you'll be hooked. We were.

Visited March 2013

New York City, New York
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“A trapeze virgin's first time”
Reviewed 1 February 2014

My birthday is today. A few weeks ago, a close friend asked me what I wanted to do, I said half-heartedly... an adventure would be nice. I really didn't think she could follow through. I mean... what kind of adventure can you line up for a 61-year-old. Shopping for rocking chairs? Going to nursing home open houses? She got in touch with my grown children and threw out an idea. They went for it. I wasn't told what it was. A new thing for me. No one has ever managed to surprise me in my life. Well, this morning I was surprised to say the least. When we pulled up to the Circus Warehouse, my first thought was... they're taking me to clown school. I was cool with that. I have a good sense of humor. And figured I could work the red nose. But a giggling bachelorette party ahead of us gave it away. I was going to trapeze school. I went into shock. But hid my reaction as best I could. My friend, my kids were so excited for me. I didn't want them to know I was TERRIFIED. And they had no idea that as I'd gotten older, I had been developing this fear of heights. Not only that, my guy-friend had taken me out to celebrate the night before... We'd both eaten too much and had had way too much to drink. So I was a tad hungover. I didn't know how I was going to follow through...without passing out or vomiting or both. But I had to follow through. So I kept a smile plastered on my face as I changed into the gym clothes (which my daughter had stolen from my room)...as the trapeze guy strapped me into a tight safety belt...as I watched the bachelorettes with their young, agile bodies jump up and down in anticipation. Out of the corner of my eye, I watched the class before us wrap up. They were flying from one trapeze bar into the waiting hands of a pro hanging from another bar. I assured myself that was an advanced class...possibly in training for Barnum. I soon found out they weren't pros...and that we would be expected to perform the same before our two hour session was up. I didn't know how I was going to climb the slim metal ladder up to the starting platform, let alone actually swing, turn upside down, grab the pro and literally fly through the air.
To make a long, adrenaline-pumping story short... I did it all. The only reason I did it was the trapeze crew were AMAZING. Talented, patient, encouraging. They stroke you as they push you. My first time up, I screwed up. Couldn't bring myself to turn upside down, hook my knees and let go of my hands. But the second time, the trapeze team pushed me until I did it... And I did it again and again. And I did it all. Ending it with a final, triumphant swing from one trapeze bar into the waiting hands of the pro on the other bar. I also did a somersault from the bar into the net. The terror stayed with me the entire time. But it was a good terror. A charge. A life lift...just when I needed it most. I recommend this for everyone...all ages. When I thought about other times in my life when I was this revved, charged, revitalized... the only thing that was comparable was giving birth... But this time, I didn't need to have an epidural. $90 is NOTHING for this experience. Do it. You won't regret it.

Visited February 2014
4 Thank Addie W
New York City, New York
74 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“A must-try experience”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I wanted to do something unique for my birthday and after seeing it from the Westside Highway all of the time, decided to try a Trapeze Class. It was a little expensive ($90... it does get cheaper if you go again and again) but you get to soar in the air for 2 hours. They go through a quick tutorial on the ground, and then you're up in the air doing tricks and learning the ropes. Not everyone could do most of the stunts, but I sure did! It gets a little nerve-wracking up there but it's easy enough. Once you start, it's hard to stop... I wanted to do flips and turns and cool moves. The final trick we did was the infamous catch. They had a photographer taking pics of us and we ended up buying the entire package. Also, we were allowed cell phones on the floor (and it was a gorgeous day) and my sister and cousin were able to get videos of me... which I still watch all the time.

Visited September 2013
Hellerup, Copenhagen, Denmark
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Poor supervision and pushy instructors with no sense of proper teaching skills”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I see that a lot of people have rated this experience as a 4 or 5 and I am happy that they had an amazing experience. My husband and I expected to have a similar experience, but it did not go that way at all.

It started off with an instructor that was to show us how to do the first stunt. In this first stunt we were told that we would swing, pull our knees over the bar and release our hands. Is this an appropriate first stunt activity for an "all levels" class? Surely it would have made sense to have people overcome the first boundary of just stepping off the ledge and swing back and forth a few times.

When I cautiously asked the instructor if it was "okay" to just swing in the first stunt his reply was "You can do what you want, but this is Trapeze School....".Not very motivating nor empowering considering one is about to step off a ledge with a stranger holding you back.

Well for me and for one other participant, we very anxious. I eventually went up the ladder and stepped off the ledge and decided to not do the "proper" first stunt but just swing back and forth. When I was then told to let go off the bar, the timing was so off that I landed on my legs, was swung backwards in a somersault where I landed badly on my neck. My upper back/neck was so sore after that jump that I told the instructors that I would not go back up for the next stunt.

The other participant who was as stunned about the level of ambition of the instructors, went back up for a second stunt (this, by the way, was meant to be done as the first stunt + a triple backflip...(!) ). On the ledge, she became so nervous and was only worsened by the instructor who did nothing else but freak her out even more (he thought he was "coaching") to the point where another instructor was about to go up the ladder to calm down the situation. What eventually happened was that the participant jumped off the ledge after all, but only swinged back and forth and was clearly upset by the whole situation (she cried and did not want to address the instructor on the ground).

This situation was my dealbreaker, and we decided to tell the instructors that we did not have confidence in their abilities, and we would therefore leave now. The reply was "well, you have paid, right? So you're free to go". Instead he could have asked why we felt we had to leave/how they could improve etc.

This just confirmed to me that these people should not be instructing people on an "all-levels" class with such level of ambition. This was supposed to be a fun event where we could build up our self-esteem by doing something as simple as jumping off a 5 metre high ledge and just swing or do whatever we felt like. But instead you felt like a failure for not doing triple backflips/hanging stunts etc.

They could have improved this experience so much more by doing simple things:
1. Asking the participants what their expectations of today's class was/ambitions for today
2. Adjust the communication to the participants according to their ambitions (if you want to swing, you're a star! If you want to do triple flips, you're a star!)
3. Re-think their staff
4. DO WARMUPS! Because we did not do a warm-up, I strained a muscle in my upper back and my husband tore a ligament in his stomach that required 2 weeks of recovery because of no warm-up.

The audience for this class should be prepared to do actual stunts and not just simple exercises, and be warned that this exercise can strain your body if you're not a natural gymnast.

Visited October 2013
9 Thank Viyan L
zurich
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Super fun!”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We did this on a Saturday morning. The staff are very friendly yet professional. They make the moves seem easy and take a lot of care in looking after people. My only wish would be that the class size is smaller so that each person can get more time on the trapeze (we got 3 turns each in a group of 12).

Visited September 2013