“Highly recommend”

Trapeze School New York
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Trapeze School New York (TSNY) is dedicated to making flying trapeze available to anyone who seeks inspiration, challenge, fitness or just a couple hours of unique fun! Our mission every day is to create a safe, fun, challenging environment where our students strive to surpass limitations and feel the freedom of flight. All experience levels welcome, come see what you can do!! Forget Fear. Worry about the addiction! (R)
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Stairs / lift
Millburn, New Jersey
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Highly recommend”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I am afraid of heights. The professionals at this school provided superior instruction and kept me distracted through the scary parts. I won't stand close to a window when I'm more than four flights up in a building but I have gone to three trapeze classes here and I'm looking forward to my next class. I can't recommend this school highly enough!

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Anna H

Milwaukee, Wisconsn
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“A fun memory and unique experience”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Went on a girls trip to NYC and wanted to do something a little different so we signed up for the trapeze school. First let me say that the location off the Hudson River is amazing! It was a gorgeous day and it was so fun just being up there and see all the buildings - it was great. Now if you are planning on doing this class and plan ahead of time I would strongly suggest doing pull ups a few weeks before attending. You really need the upper body strength to pull yourself up on the bar. The instructors are great - super fun personalities - and make it a really fun experience. They do take pictures of you but honestly using our cell phones we captured fine photos as well. It is a great story to tell and I would gladly do it again.

Visited May 2014
Brussels, Belgium
61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Highlight of my trip”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

The New York Trapeze School staff is so friendly. I didn't understand always the instructions because english is not my mother language, but they were very helpfull, so don't be scared, just do it! The outdoor season at Pier 40 is now open, it was a little bit windy when i was there, so pick a good day or wrap up with warm clothes. I did the catch and learned other tricks too. That is impressive for a first time. I will come back on my next trip for sure.

Visited April 2014
Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A fun experience”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

My wife and I tried Trapeze School New York a couple of years ago, and can't wait to give it another go. Be warned, if you're afraid of heights (like I am) it may be difficult for you, and you'll be more successful if you have well-developed abs, but the instructors make it fun for even beginners such as ourselves. If you can manage a "catch" on your first lesson, you'll be hooked. We were.

Visited March 2013
New York City, New York
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“A trapeze virgin's first time”
Reviewed 1 February 2014

My birthday is today. A few weeks ago, a close friend asked me what I wanted to do, I said half-heartedly... an adventure would be nice. I really didn't think she could follow through. I mean... what kind of adventure can you line up for a 61-year-old. Shopping for rocking chairs? Going to nursing home open houses? She got in touch with my grown children and threw out an idea. They went for it. I wasn't told what it was. A new thing for me. No one has ever managed to surprise me in my life. Well, this morning I was surprised to say the least. When we pulled up to the Circus Warehouse, my first thought was... they're taking me to clown school. I was cool with that. I have a good sense of humor. And figured I could work the red nose. But a giggling bachelorette party ahead of us gave it away. I was going to trapeze school. I went into shock. But hid my reaction as best I could. My friend, my kids were so excited for me. I didn't want them to know I was TERRIFIED. And they had no idea that as I'd gotten older, I had been developing this fear of heights. Not only that, my guy-friend had taken me out to celebrate the night before... We'd both eaten too much and had had way too much to drink. So I was a tad hungover. I didn't know how I was going to follow through...without passing out or vomiting or both. But I had to follow through. So I kept a smile plastered on my face as I changed into the gym clothes (which my daughter had stolen from my room)...as the trapeze guy strapped me into a tight safety belt...as I watched the bachelorettes with their young, agile bodies jump up and down in anticipation. Out of the corner of my eye, I watched the class before us wrap up. They were flying from one trapeze bar into the waiting hands of a pro hanging from another bar. I assured myself that was an advanced class...possibly in training for Barnum. I soon found out they weren't pros...and that we would be expected to perform the same before our two hour session was up. I didn't know how I was going to climb the slim metal ladder up to the starting platform, let alone actually swing, turn upside down, grab the pro and literally fly through the air.
To make a long, adrenaline-pumping story short... I did it all. The only reason I did it was the trapeze crew were AMAZING. Talented, patient, encouraging. They stroke you as they push you. My first time up, I screwed up. Couldn't bring myself to turn upside down, hook my knees and let go of my hands. But the second time, the trapeze team pushed me until I did it... And I did it again and again. And I did it all. Ending it with a final, triumphant swing from one trapeze bar into the waiting hands of the pro on the other bar. I also did a somersault from the bar into the net. The terror stayed with me the entire time. But it was a good terror. A charge. A life lift...just when I needed it most. I recommend this for everyone...all ages. When I thought about other times in my life when I was this revved, charged, revitalized... the only thing that was comparable was giving birth... But this time, I didn't need to have an epidural. $90 is NOTHING for this experience. Do it. You won't regret it.

Visited February 2014