“Nice business hotel!”

Ranked #173 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Köln
“Nice business hotel!”
Reviewed 20 May 2012

I spent one night at the London and I really liked it. The room was very spacy and comfortable. If you like large showers, you will love the London. I did not have breakfast there because the prices at the Gordon Ramsay place are just outrageous. The one negative item would be that it was a little noisy in my room and folks in the opposite office building can basically watch you if you don't close the curtains.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (819)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto
Reviewed 19 May 2012 via mobile

My experience at this hotel was absolutely great. I checked-in at 9am and they were able to accommodate me right away. Tstar tire staff were very friendly and courteous. The room is spacious with a separate living area, walk in closet/change area and fairly big bathroom. The fitness centre is fairly big and well equipped. I didn't have a chance to Gordon Ramsays restaurant at hotel but they were busy. The location is great and the subway is a block away. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
UK
Reviewed 18 May 2012

Stayed here because it was booked by my firm. My first time in it and whilst I would stay there again it wouldn't be my first preference by some way. Total waste of space in my room; vastly over priced for what it is; entering the front door through hoardes of celebrity seeking people isn't pleasant and the staff look as if they are doing you as vfavour serving you. That said, the rooms are comfortable and it is close to ther business district.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank cc1Uk
Gardena, California
Reviewed 17 May 2012

This was my first trip to New York and I chose The London NYC because one of the attorneys I work with loved it. I have always heard about the closet-sized rooms in New York so when I saw that the least expensive suite was 500 square feet I thought that was great - and the price I got was very good I thought for New York as well. We flew from L.A. on a redeye so got to New York around 10:30 a.m. and we were allowed to check in early which was great! The room was absolutely beautiful! Very roomy - beautifully decorated with modern furniture. The bed was divine! We chose to stay on a higher floor because we didn't want to be bothered with noise. The hotel staff at check-in were great, the bellmen were great - as soon as we walked outside, they flagged a taxi for us. We needed our luggage held on our last day so we could go shopping before our flight - done. Anything we asked for - change for the bellman - done. Staying in this hotel just made the trip that much better. We only stayed for a weekend, but I am planning on coming back and this is the only hotel I will stay in.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a higher level so that you don't get the noise from outside.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SharonB612
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 17 May 2012

We arrived and were checked in literally in the blink of an eye. No introduction to the hotel, services or offer of assistance. That’s fine because we are able travellers. The room was interesting, not the standard square box, good size, separate lounge and tastefully decorated. The bathroom with a great double shower. We liked the room. We didn’t like the lower level and would suggest that the premium for a high level is worth paying; the lack of tea or coffee making facilities, and the fact that my shoes came back with excess shoe polish on them marking my trousers marred the experience somewhat but we would stay here again.

The hotel is in a great location for theatre and shopping as well as MOMA.

The big disappointment was the restaurant – we ate in Maze by Gordon Ramsey. The service was disorganised. Having waited 10 minutes for the menu the risotto was on the table in less than 6 minutes from point of order. Rice pudding would have been a better description. Expensive and poor value.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the higher levels
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank KiwiScotOz
Chicago
Reviewed 14 May 2012

I've loved this hotel for years, staying there many times in it's previous incarnation as the Rihga Royal. The all-suite layout boasts a promiscuous use of space by NYC hotel standards. The recent renovations provided the polish and sophistication befitting a top notch luxury hotel. Combine that with world class dining, perfect location and efficient courteous service and you have one of the best choices in the highly competitive NYC luxury hotel market.

Only one issue marred my otherwise flawless stay. When I arrived, I was taking my rollerbag out of the taxi. The doorman attempted to take it from me. I said, "No worries - I've got it." He insisted, wrestling the bag out of my hands and then rolling the 30 pound bag to the check in desk less than 20 feet away. While the agent at the desk was welcoming me and asking for my credit card and ID, he stood there staring at me. Eventually, I realized that he had no intention of leaving without a tip. Nor did he intend to help me with the baggage to the room. 20 feet of unwanted assistance, and then he demands a tip?! While tipping has historically been customary with NYC bellman, it is a rarity elsewhere on the planet. But even if you allow that tips are traditional, this sort of aggressive behavior verges on a scam and is unworthy of an otherwise lovely hotel.

Room Tip: Pay up for a high floor suite. In addition to the view, you get the most precious luxury in NYC: QU...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank LuxeLuthor
St. Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 13 May 2012

The only reason I am not giving a higher rating to this hotel is because my child's favorite toy mysteriously disappeared from our room on our last day. Not a small toy. Not something that has happened in 15 years of traveling with kids.

That said: great and very comfortable room (and we had the most basic), good staff overall, great gym, ok breakfast and good tea. A very good rate/room size for NYC.

Stayed May 2012, travelled on business