“Flying Visit”

Ranked #158 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Flying Visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

My usual one night stay in a truly lovely Hotel - a great shame, but I was on Business. What little interaction I did have with the staff was absolutely up to the highest standard that you would hope for. I was even alowed to carry my own bag to my room. Up on the 42nd floor I had a corner suite with fabulous views and all the comfort that I could wish for. As other visitors have stated, the shower was great, the bed super comfortable - with a good rest for an early exit from the Hotel and NYC. Internet connectivity was easy - important to me - and my only minor qualification was the lighting over my case was a little dim for packing!! And that sums it up - you will struggle to criticize this superb hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (800)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Palm Harbor, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

My first time in NYC in a very long time, The London staff was quick to get me into my room and the room was clean and nicely appointed. I needed assistance from the concierge and that went very well, efficient and considerate. When visiting the Business Office I was please with the quality of the equipment. When I checked out of the hotel, I needed a taxi, but was kindly offered a London car that was very clean, smelled great and had a fabulous driver (I wish I could remember his name!) who was knowledgeable and every so helpful. But the very best thing was the hamburger I got from room service! WOW! I would return if just for the burger!

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

We like the large 'London Vista" Rooms which are available on the upper floors of this hotel which has a swank, hip, if slightly dated vibe - think Austin Powers 4+stars. The bed and linens were excellent. The 2 person dual head shower (no tub) with traditional and rain shower-heads were a treat, and the toiletries top notch. We had a king-size bed and a separate seating area with couch, desk, chair and TV which was nice was we were able to have some friends in for a pre-show drink. Very conveniently located next to MOMA, and within easy walking distance of Lincoln Centre if that's where you're headed. Professional, courteous and attentive staff were pleasant and helpful. We did not eat at the hotel on this visit, having made reservations for most dinners elsewhere, including Boulud Sud. Not sure why, but there was no kettle, or coffee maker in the room which is a pet peeve of mine. I like a cup of joe first thing in the morning, and didn't appreciate having to schlep over to Starbucks to get it!

Room Tip: Wasn't able to check out the spa. Higher floors have better views, including partial views of...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dereham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

Had a room on 48th floor so was quiet only a few blocks from Central Park and a few more to Times Square. Room large for New York. Housekeeping good and room was in good decoration. Not a lot of drawer space if staying for a long period staff helpful.

Room Tip: Choose a room high up
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

This was our first stay here through Amex Platinum Concierge. Great location, beautiful suite on 51st floor with some view of Central Park and Columbus Circle. Maze convenient with nice breakfast. Good place for a drink with delicious appetizer. Carlos, our waiter was helpful and friendly. Will definitely go back.

• Stayed March 2014
Glendale, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

This is my third time staying at the London Hotel, and not so sure that I will go back. It is this kind of service that gives NYC a bad name. Upon arrival, the bell man took our bags from the car to the front desk (20 feet distance), with about a dozen people checking in, the Bell Man at the top of his voice announced "It is a pleasure to serve you, sir", he repeated this same line three times, obviously encouraging me to give him a tip for his services. I get it!!!! But I did not have change in my pocket and was waiting to break a $100 bill so I could "take care of him for his service". Then another bell boy takes your bags to your room, and you have to tip him as well. I am certainly not cheap and when you are paying over $1,000 a night for a hotel suite, you do not need some shmuck to belittle you in front of other guests. Show some class London Hotel, this is not my first Rodeo and I certainly know how to "TAKE CARE" of the staff for services rendered. Throughout the remainder of our stay we witnessed the same bell staff treating Uber, Taxis and other drivers coming up to the Hotel with the same arrogance and disrespect shown to me.

5 Thank Mario F
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

Have stayed (and reviewed) this hotel many times in the past and every time have given it nothing but rave reviews, but I have to say, this time it fell down a bit. The desk staff seemed underprepared and not as polished. Part of the program I am in offers an upgrade for the room. The room we were "upgraded" to, wasn't. The room was incredibly warm. When I called down the first time to ask why the air conditioning wasn't working, the front desk staff said "we don't have A/C, this is winter! If you are warm, open the window". Ouch. Had to complain to the manager to get the A/C going. Physical plant needs updating. This building at one point was apartments, hence the large rooms. Maybe its time to convert it back to a apartment building.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family