“Shame about the staff !!”
Review of The London NYC

The London NYC
Ranked #173 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Kildare , Ireland
“Shame about the staff !!”
Reviewed 18 July 2009

I stayed here two weeks before Christmas while on a shopping trip to New York with a friend. We decided we were going to stay somewhere special and did a lot of research and picked The London. The hotel itself is lovely . Very elegant . The room is very spacious and has a seperate living area which is very handy to sort through your shopping . I can not complain about the actual hotel but its the staff that leave a bad taste. I have stayed in a few five star hotels over the years but these people give themselves airs and graces that they truly do not deserve. The concierge department is horrendous to say the least. We asked for two things and on both occassions we were disgusted by their service. The first thng was tickets to the broadway show Jersey Boys we had looked it up on the interent and had seen that there were tickets available prices ranging from $100 to $300. The concierge came back to us saying he could get tickets but he they would be $450 each . I understand they have to make money on the back of providing this service but honestly this was well out of order. The second thing was we asked for a town car to Jersey Gardens we had previously priced this at $100 each way they came backl looking for $300 each way.

We were never made to feel welcome at this hotel. Obviously they were used to dealing with people where money is not an issue but having been to New York on many occassions previously we were not going to be taken for fools. Personally I found the hotel pretentious and without substance. I have booked a 4 night trip to New York shortly and I have decided to try The Palace Hotel so I will update when I get back !!!!

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
3 Thank Tarveltoad

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (819)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
KK
Reviewed 13 July 2009

Stayed here for 6 days in April for our honeymoon. Had booked this on the internet and the website's photos are as the rooms are. Great location as first time in NYC so would recommend this hotel for first-timers.

Rooms were big and comfortable , as all rooms were 'suites', bedroom separated from the living room by double doors. Furniture is slightly worn, ie stains in carpet/sofa, but generally clean overall. Huge bath-tub and shower was refreshing.

Food was amazing, buffet breakfast had incredible choice. Afternoon tea also served here and definitely worth a try, though doubt there'll be much room for an evening meal after it. Both in-hotel restaurants under Gordon Ramsay. Would thoroughly recommend Maze for dinner, tasty food for a tasty price, only wished we had enough time to return to sample the other items on the menu. Gordon Ramsay Restaurant for fine dining was just behind the double doors, tried the tasting menu, food was clean and delicious and service much more formal, compared to the jovial crowd outside. Still would have preferred a second night at Maze.

Hotel staff were very pleasant and helpful and the only annoying incident would be the house-keeping service on our second day there, which was Easter Sunday. There was a new Archbishop in town but does that mean that the house-keeping was on holidays as well? We had come back from shopping in the afternoon and the room was still unmade. We contacted housekeeping and were informed that there would be someone on the way so we decided to head to the bar for a few drinks. Upon our return, still no sign of housekeeping and another call was made with the same reply. Still no sign by the time that we headed out to dinner and we mentioned this to the front desk staff on our way to dinner, who stated that they would pass the message on, but unfortunately not the case when we returned at 9.30pm. Finally, after another irate call to housekeeping, this proved successful. Check-out staff were kind enough to deduct the mini-bar charges for this inconvenience.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JayKay81
Minneapolis
Reviewed 11 July 2009

I was quickly checked in when I arrived at the London - 3 minutes tops! My room was on the 28th Floor and as soon as I walked in - it was perfect! A BIG room - two rooms in fact, walk-in closet area and large bathroom with two showers.

I also love that the internet is free (wireless too) and that there is a fabulous work out area. Plus, there is free bottles of water in the work out room.

I also liked that no matter where or what I was doing - the hotel ALWAYS seemed centrally located - close to all of the subway stops.

If I had to find a negative - which would be a struggle - it would be the restaurant - I only had drinks there and they were of course, overpriced. Plus, Chef Ramsey is rarely in the kitchen - what's the point?

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gopherdeb
OH
Reviewed 6 July 2009

We stayed at the London NYC for 3 nights over the Fourth of July weekend. It was our first stay and the hotel. I found the LNYC online, and booked it because we needed a 2-br suite and they are hard to find. The price of the suites were reasonable compared to getting 2 rooms elsewhere. I haven't been to NY in 15 years so my memories were pretty vague. My expectations weren't high, actually, they were pretty low...however, I was WOWED by the hotel. Everything was perfect...it was immaculate, the suite was much more spacious than I imagined, every detail had been well thought out, the master bath was gorgeous, the decor was MUCH nicer than it appears on the web site. (I thought it looked a little seedy on the web site.) It was sooooooo quiet in the rooms. I loved never laying eyes on a cleaning cart in the hallways, or being disturbed in any way by the staff. The suite is laid out so that there is complete privacy in each room. The amenities were ample. And the location! So close to Central Park, Fifth Avenue shopping and the Broadway theaters. The crowds were enormous when we got out of the Broadway show, it was nice not having to hail a cab (we walked, and even in my HIGH HIGH heel shoes it was fine). We had a fabulous weekend - our 11 y/o and 14 y/o nieces were thrilled too! Oh, one thing - the concierge was snobby.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank OhJanice
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 2 July 2009

Now that we have finally stayed at the London NYC (after changing our plans on two previous occasions), we can say we’re glad we stayed there.

The London NYC is a pleasant find in midtown Manhattan. We found a great rate on the hotel’s Web site which likely added to our positive feelings about our stay.

Every room in the hotel is a suite with the distinctions being in number of bedrooms (one or two) and placement in the hotel and view from the windows. We had a regular one-bedroom suite and were impressed by the size of the room - it had a good amount of space, particularly for a New York hotel.

The rooms are showing their age a bit with nicks and cuts and stains here and there, but they are still very nice. The room design verges toward trendy, so some room furniture is not as comfortable as it is stylish. That said, we loved the ability to close the doors to the bedroom at night - it made the room very quiet and peaceful, a good thing in New York City.

The Waterworks-designed bathrooms make good use of a small space and the white tile adds a bright, clean touch. We wished there had been hooks for towels within reach of the shower, and we found the sliding bathroom door a bit problematic at times, but those were relatively minor quibbles.

The beds are comfortable enough, and we enjoyed watching the wall-mounted flat screen TV. The iHome docking station for an iPod was also a nice touch.

Service throughout the hotel was good, with the real standouts being the front desk and the bartenders (the former was very friendly and the latter made a great Mojito). We ate lunch in Maze, Gordon Ramsay’s cafe (Gordon Ramsay at the London is only open for dinner) and found the food tasty, but a little fussy.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay at the London. It was not outstanding, but it was very good and we’ll likely stay there again on our next trip to New York.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 1 July 2009

I arrived in New York off a flight from London. So, the London NYC seemed a perfect choice . . . and it was. Bell service was fast and friendly. The front desk quickly changed my Pounds to Dollars, with a smile (and not a terrible exchange rate).
The rooms are large by world standards and enormous by New York standards.
And, to my great surprise and delight, fast wireless internet is provided without an extra charge. How bloody civilised!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
Kuwait
Reviewed 1 July 2009

I stayed at a London Suite:

Highlights:
-All the rooms in the hotel are suites, so they are incredibly spacious: the bed room, the living room, and a petite changing area
-Automated curtains… awesome
-Consistently clean
-Pleasant staff (even though I had limited interaction with them)
-Rihanna, Will I am, and some famous Brazilian soccer player were there as well (a bunch of paparazzi were always at the entrance)

Cons:
-Internet did not work (I didn't ask for assistance)
-The use of the business center is not free
-No complementary water

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo