“This hotel peaked a few years ago”
Review of The London NYC

The London NYC
Ranked #191 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 30 July 2009

I really like this hotel's location, the large reasonably priced suites and for the most part the staff are excellent, but the rooms in this hotel are starting to get worn. Mine was downright dirty, with several unclean surfaces (e.g. finger prints). The carpets were a bit frayed and the hardwood floors were scratched and scuffed. I wanted to work on my computer but found the tiny desk and chair with no back rather difficult for this purpose. The bar and restaurant are excellent but when it comes to room service, the portions can be small for the price charged. I used to recommend this hotel enthusiastically, but feel much more ambivalent now.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank Homat

Reviewed 30 July 2009

This was my first visit to the London NYC after friends recommended we try it and we could not have been more impressed! From the moment we arrived, the courteous staff made us feel right at home. The rooms are beautiful, large and luxurious and not what we are used to when we stay in NYC. Let me make this clear this is a luxurious hotel with all suites and the staff could not be any friendlier and makes you feel like nothing is ever a bother. Had room service which was pricey but great food. The gym is one of the best hotel gyms with all the latest equipment and was never busy and very clean. We will be back.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank floridasun84
Reviewed 27 July 2009

In many ways this is a great hotel.

BUT - I stayed here 3 or 4 times before I realised, its no coincidence that there is always an extra item slipped onto your bill, or an unexpected $170 taken from your credit card by the concierge after you've checked out.

I'm happy to pay a transparent charge, and I realise that times are tough in the hotel industry, but I won't tolerate this kind of petty thieving.

• Stayed: July 2009
9  Thank ohplan3
Reviewed 27 July 2009

Absolutely beautiful Hotel! Ordered Breakfast in the room and it was wonderful! Breakfast cost $120, but hey, that's the way it is in a top notch hotel in NYC, right. So then we come back to the suite after shopping and the room is cleaned very nicely, except, our breakfast dishes, coffe cups, etc. are still right there on the table where we left them. I called the front desk and they suggested i put all the dishes, etc. in the hallway. i said Ok at first and then called back and asked if maybe they could send someone to get them. She thought that was a good idea and did just that.
That evening the concierge suggested a restaurant on a barge in the East River. I called a car service that a friend had recommended to take us to dinner. The car service said that they had a contract with the hotel so i must go through the hotel. So i did. It cost $108 for the 15 minute ride to the Restaurant. That's fine, except when we got to this restaurant, there was literally trash blowing against the front door and the place was deserted. I called our car back 5 minutes after he left us and was told by the driver that i would have to call the hotel and pay them again if i wanted him to come get us and take us somewhere else. I got a cab instead who took us to a great place in Little Italy.
I related these problems to the Concierge on duty when we returned. He said that he "was sorry we had a bad experience" and that he would "take care of it". When checking out the young lady asked how was our stay and i said not too good. I then explained it to her and she said that she "was sorry that i had a bad experience".

If we had paid $99 a night, it wouldn't be a big deal, but at their prices they should do a better job of the small things. They certainly should have some procedures in place for a guest that is less than happy.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TrickisDad
Reviewed 27 July 2009

The rooms are very nice - and particularly spacious for a nyc hotel. Beyond the rooms, the hotel doesn't have a great deal going for it.

Some of the staff are pleasant, as other reviewers have mentioned, some of them are rather self-important - for example I was told by Vittorio the front-desk manager that we couldn't move a chair from a colleague's room to my room to hold a meeting because it would make it look untidy.

Of course, New York is expensive, but there's a difference between transparent costs and bill-fiddling. Check your bills very carefully - wherever possible someone will have added an additional, spurious charge - whether bogus items on a dry-cleaning bill or an extra $170 on an un-itemised limo hire.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank rssa
Reviewed 25 July 2009

The London offered a lot for what we paid. We stayed for 4 nights in a Vista Suite with partial views of Central Park and the NY skyline. The room was a true suite with a living room, bedroom, and large bathroom with shower and separate tub. Very clean, contemporary, and inviting spaces. We were on the 47th floor and never had to wait for the elevators. Free internet connection, continental breakfast, local phone service, and late check out(4 PM) were included in our stay. The ample breakfast consisted of many types of breads, cheeses, fruit, cereal, juice, coffee etc and saved us some money every morning.
The location was perfect for us---just blocks away from Central Park, Times Square, Theatres, Shopping, Columbus Circle, et al. Again, this saved us money for cab fare.
A special thank you to Mannie(Concierge) who provided us with information and tidbits every morning with a smile and a very friendly demeanor.
The London is not a 5 star Hotel, do not expect this and you will be very happy with your stay. I would label it a nice 4 star Hotel. The reasons are small and trivial but to some people they might matter: No offer to assist with luggage to the room upon arrival, waitress at breakfast constantly chewing gum while serving coffee, no one in the Hotel would remember your name or reason for stay, etc. These points do not matter to me, but I simply want to allow the reader to know the what to expect in case they were thinking 5 star service.
Very happy with my stay!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank L B
Reviewed 24 July 2009

We would defifntely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting new york! The rooms were quiet, and clean. The staff went above and beyond to acommidate our needs. Jacob at the front desk was AMAZING! Way better than anything on times square

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family