A blend of cleanliness and neglect, friendly staff and toxic food, fresh new furniture and appalling engineering flaws. I gave it 3 stars mostly for the impressive cleanliness of the room (carpet excepted). Other than he usual ground in dirt and stains in the carpet, the room, bed, and fixtures were immaculate. Bathroom clean and no mold, no peeling paint nor wallpaper, heat and AC worked well.
We booked a nonsmoking room, but the minute we walked in the bathroom was full of fresh cigarette smoke as if someone just had one in there. Running the fan dissipated it. Then after a day out, we returned to find the room cleaned and the AC turned on at 60 degrees! It was November at the time, and the room was an icebox. Also, for some bizarre reason, the housekeeper took our hotel provided shampoo away. We had conditioner, soap, lotion, no shampoo, even the tube we had already opened was gone. Weird. Front desk cheerfully gave us more.
The odd parts: the curtains don't close. Really. There are very thin see thru sheers, but the heavy curtains are attached to a rod the is fixed in place in the casement. The hooks go in little holes in a plastic strip which is screwed into place on either side of the window, there's not even a short rod to slide them on. They are there to look pretty while the streetlights stream into your window and the people across the street peep at you! We used some binder clips to hold them sort of closed every night.
The noise in the hall every night was unbelievable. The door was loosely fit in its frame and both light & noise came thru like the door was paper. The guests had a habit of having private conversations all night in the hallway, and houskeeping felt the need to collect trash bags from a closet every night between midnight & 1am.
There's a free hot breakfast in the morning: biscuits, cereal, eggs, sausage, coffee, etc. However a couple hours later both my husband and I had severe indigestion. We've travelled the world and eaten some really strange things (see our Japan reviews), but this "normal" food did us in! You get what you pay for. This is NY, go anywhere else for breakfast!
All this together made it completely unenjoyable, even though we barely spent any time in the room. Again, 3 stars, but I would NOT recommend it!
As of our stay they had no bedbugs.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Thank you for choosing the newly renovated Holiday Inn Express New York City - Chelsea hotel located right in the heart of Chelsea and Madison Square Garden area. We include a complimentary hot and cold Express Start Breakfast for all guests of the hotel. Our recently refreshed 15-story high-rise hotel with amenities include free high speed wired and wireless Internet access, free local calls, fitness center, rear garden terrace and a full business center. We are just ten short blocks from Times Square. Also within walking distance is Penn Station, the Empire State Building, Jacob Javits Convention Center, Fashion Institute of Technology, Theatre District, Macy's, mid-town and 5th Avenue shopping. Rockefeller Center is just one mile away! We are also centrally located to many fine restaurants, entertainment venues and some of the finest shopping the city has to offer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, IHG, Agoda, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Holiday Inn Express New York City - Chelsea reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Nyc - Madison Square Garden Hotel New York City
- Holiday Inn New York City
- New York City Holiday Inn