“Good location, clean, affordable.”

Holiday Inn Express New York City - Chelsea
Ranked #260 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Overall this is a clean and safe place to stay in a good location for an affordable price.

The Pros:

My initial experience was great as the front desk staff was very pleasant upon check in, which is always important to me.

The rooms are small but this is NYC and space is a premium everywhere so it's not super suprising. The room was clean and affordable. The location was good - fairly easy to get to anywhere I needed to go and less than a $10 cab ride to Times Square.

The Cons:

The beds weren't very comfortable and my sleep was below average - even for a hotel.

The breakfast buffet wasn't anything special. I ate a banana one day - that was it. The coffee bar was sub-par (see below).

Attention coffee lovers: The coffee pot in my room was NOT clean, it was rather disgusting. I like to have a cup of coffee before bed and most importantly while I'm trying to get ready in the morning. First morning I suffered without coffee until I got to the office. The second morning I ventured down to the lobby in my pj's and grabbed coffee. Note: this might have been one of the WORST coffee bars at a hotel that I've ever experienced. The creamer selction was milk or half and half (none of the little flavored cups) and the sugar selection consisted of standard table sugar and Splenda (no pink or blue or sugar in the raw). If coffee isn't important to you then this part won't matter - but to me - It's a BIG deal.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 1116 and didn't have a view - but I wasn't in the room long enough to care.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City - Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2013

Dear Kristin K,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the beds and coffee service prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We were truly pleased to see your positive comments for our staff as well as high scores for Rooms, Service, and Value. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D

Reviewed 9 December 2013

I just spent 3 nights at the Holiday Inn with my 2 nieces. While the room was clean and comfortable, and the breakfast buffet good, our room was located in the basement (!!) right in front of the vending machines, the business center and the gym. Every time people spoke outside the room, they might as well have been in with us. We could hear every single coin entered in the vending machines, and cans or bottles dropped, and this way past midnight. It was extremely difficult to fall asleep at a reasonable hour, even though we were tired from our long days of walking around. The noise would wake us up every time. For an average of $400/night, that was really not what I had hoped for. I am sure that the rooms are fine in the upper floors, but avoid the basement!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Stayed here just the other week while in New York. First, the staff wasn't on their 'A' game. They weren't rude or inconsiderate, they just weren't nice. As a rewards platinum, you expect people to be on their 'A' game. Lastly, like most places in New York, everything is so small. Even the lobby is cramped. Normally I'll grab some breakfast on my way out the door, but this place was small and full of people. Panera bread is right around the corner.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City - Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Dear altrego,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property and being a Platinum Member of our IHG Rewards Club program. It is disappointing that the service received on this occasion did not suit your standards. Your comments will be discussed accordingly with our team to consider for improvements needed.

We hope that you give us a chance to change your perception of our hotel.

Pam G

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Holiday inn Express, is conveniently situated on 29 just off 5th Avenue. You can walk almost everywhere in New York from there, the underground is also close by.
The accommodation is average and the rooms are very small but clean. Breakfast is supplied on the ground floor and is sufficient but also average.
Overall a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Book before you head off and ask for a room facing the street.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Maggie H, Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City - Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear Trevor333340,

Thank you for taking a moment to review your stay. I am pleased to hear that your visit was pleasant and that you found our hotel conveniently located. We hope to welcome you back on a future trip to the "Big Apple".

Warmest Regards,

Maggie Houston
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed 4 December 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for our long weekend trip to NYC. It was a great location, clean and the staff was helpful. We will definitely consider for another stay. Cons: the beds are hard and uncomfortable in comparison to other HI Express hotels.

• Stayed: October 2013

Dear bsktmiss,

Thank you for taking a moment to review your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Madison Square Garden. While I am pleased to hear that you and your daughter found the hotel well-located and clean, I am sorry to hear that you found our mattresses a bit too hard. Thank you for your constructive criticism. Your feedback assists us improve the experience that we deliver our patrons!

Best Regards,

Maggie Houston
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed 4 December 2013

My husband and I have been staying here for 9 nights on a mix of business and pleasure. I would like this hotel if it weren't for one glaring flaw in their service..

It's LOUD here.

like, CONSTRUCTION WORK at 9:45 AM.

Yes, two dudes in the room nearby and the elevator shaft (which is unfortunately right near our room) DRILLING and HAMMERING. I thought this was a huge no brainer but... this is a hotel!! Some people are on vacation, and since we are in a city that never sleeps, those people might be staying up late and sleeping in. Or, they might be lazily drinking a cup of coffee in bed at 9:45 am savoring the fact that they are on vacation. I'm not sure why I even need to point this out, but construction work shouldn't be going on that early. Also, if the hotel knows this work is going on, perhaps they should not book the rooms on that floor for the night before the construction work.

When I called down to the front desk about this noise, I had to do so three times. The first people "weren't aware" any construction was even planned and were a little icey about the whole thing, as if they didn't believe me. When the noise didn't stop, I had to get out of bed, put pants on, and walk to find the construction work. Sure enough, I found two holiday inn workers in blue shirts with a giant cart of tools working away. I asked them why they were working at 10 am and they annoyingly replied, "we start work at 9am."

Three calls and one walk later, I'm wide awake. I still hear various noise from all the cleaning ladies (possibly the construction workers too, I'm not even sure anyone had them stop). I have been able to sleep through the cleaning ladies and elevator noise decently well on other nights, but when you add construction to the mix, that's pretty much a recipe for lack of sleep.

I found the service here just OK. There are so many guests who stay here, I have yet to get any customized service even though I have now given this hotel in the thousands of dollars. The times I have talked to them about a shuttle or something, they haven't been warm. The way the front desk handled the construction was lacking as well. They should know about construction in their own hotel!

All in all, I probably would not try this hotel again. The rooms are nice but very small, which isn't a huge surprise as this is NYC. But one thing I hate is when a hotel assumes everyone gets up at 8am. If you are a late sleeper, you might want to choose a different hotel. One that caters to people on vacation. One that doesn't choose FOR you when you need to get up on your own darn vacation.

Room Tip: don't choose the one next to the elevator.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City - Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Dear Alissa S,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Our efforts are always to ensure our guests are satisfied and our hotel is maintained to be comfortable while you are with us. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had with the noise and the service you received. Please remain assured that we have recorded your comments and will forward it to the appropriate departments for future considerations. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Thank you again for your feedback and have a wonderful day!

Karen C

Reviewed 2 December 2013

I choose this Holiday Inn because of its great location, reasonable price, and free hot breakfast. It did not disappoint. It is a good value for NYC which is an uber-expensive city. But the biggest surprise was the incredibly well-trained and super friendly staff at the front desk who went out of their way to help. I was alone and very directionally challenged, and asked daily which way to where….and they always had time, patience and smiles for me. I asked for recommendations on eateries and got detailed reviews of their personal favorites, not just a list of what was on the video screen next to the front desk. This staff was so so personable that it made my stay very enjoyable!! The only reason I did not give a 5 star is that in NYC you pay 5 star rates but get small properties….real estate is exorbitant. But I would definitely give 5 stars to the staff and the breakfast which was awesome, and the wait staff is super friendly too!! High Fives to Indira and Anais who were a big help my last day getting me a very good rate on an airport shuttle, and to all the young men at the desk who helped me earlier, and Tenille whom I met first who is just fantastic!

Room Tip: NYC is noisy at night. Period. But this hotel is on one of the smaller quieter streets.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Kay S
Shalini S, Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City - Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Dear Kay S,
Thank you for your stay and giving our staff a High Five! I am truly pleased to hear that we make your stay enjoyable. I will certainly share this with the rest of the team. I believe our staff are very commitment to making our guest feel welcome. We look forward to you staying with us the next time you are in town.

Seasons Greetings!