“Excellent service”

GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“Excellent service”
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Everything was fantastic, checked in and out super easy. i will easily recommend this to a friend or family member.
and all thanks goes to the front desk receptionist Sheila.
jan 28th-29th 2014.
will return

Room Tip: ever room is a good one
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Shalini S, Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City - Chelsea, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear MohmaD A,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and giving us a High Five! I am so happy that Sheila delivery wonderful service, I will certainly pass this along to her.

Looking forward to hosting you on your return trip.

Shelly S.
Holiday Inn Express - MSG

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I was on a short business trip and was really pleasantly surprised. This hotel was a great value for the money.

Pros: Generally nice and clean and well lit. Comfy rooms and beds, everything pretty nice and new, good TV to watch, nice desk and workspace, fast & reliable Wifi, friendly staff, nice bathrooms, good hot water and pressure. Good room temperature. Not too loud. Within walking distance of Penn Station, 5th ave, etc.

Cons: (Almost none) the rooms are on the small side- but it's New York.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Shalini S, Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City - Chelsea, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Dear Globetrottinbabe,

Thank you for your review and your High Five! Very happy that you find our hotel and staff friendly. We very much appreciate your comments on the services we provide. Our staff members work extremely hard on a daily base to keep our hotel in good working condition.

Hope to see you on your next visit to NYC.

Shelly S
Holiday Inn Express -MSG
New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 January 2014

My company booked a block of rooms for a corporate training. Every person commented on how wonderfully they slept, how clean the rooms were and how nice everyone was at the hotel. Indira, the front desk manager, assisted me with all aspects of the reservations and was extremely helpful! She went above and beyond to help and I appreciate all that everyone did to help make their stay comfortable.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Shalini S, Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City - Chelsea, responded to this review, 1 February 2014
Dear Michele G,

Thank you so much for your review and for giving us a High Five! I am very happy to hear that Indira went above and beyond, I will certainly pass this alone to her as well to the entire team.

Thank you for choosing our hotel. Looking forward to the next visit.

Shelly S.
Holiday Inn Express - MSG
Singapore
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I arrived at the hotel after a 23.5 hrs flight. I was greeted with a big surprise that there is no reservation( or cancelled) even though i have the printed paper on hand. The reason given was that since it is advance payment booking and they are unable to clear my credit card ( i don't know why), they cancelled my reservation. The same credit card was used for my other hotel bookings for m trip in USA and without any issue. Anyway to cut the long ordeal story short, the reception lady - Sheila is one of the best employee you would want in your team. She is very helpful and through her assistance, we managed to check in the hotel. Thanks Sheila.

I agrees with most of the comment on this hotel. The breakfast spread is simple and ok and appreciated but the space is rather small. The heater is really noisy and despite tried various setting, it cut on/off throughout the night. Hope that the hotel can look into it.

Location is good and walking distance to many eateries and attractions.

I also read some latest reviews that for IHG member, they had a welcome snack and bottled water. Maybe they are Platinum or Gold members, i am a IHG member but did not have any throughout my whole stay.

Again, thanks to Sheila for making my stay within expectations,

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Maggie H, Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City - Chelsea, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Dear Ben N,

Thank you for sharing your experience. While I am sorry to learn of your cancelled booking, I am happy to hear that Sheila was able to quickly turn the situation around. Although I can't research your reservation without a bit more information, I assume that you reserved a reservation which required advanced, non-refundable payment. Unfortunately, if we are unable to acquire the advanced payment at the time of booking and no valid contact information is on-file for the reservation, these reservations are termed not-guaranteed and cancelled. If you would be so kind, please contact me directly (maggie.houston@hhmlp.com) so that I may research this cancellation further. While we must follow the policies established by the Intercontinental Hotels Group, we certainly never wish to cause our guests any frustration (especially after a long flight).
I am also pleased to report that IHG has just streamlined its rewards welcome amenity program across all branded hotels. At this time, only IHG Gold Elite and IHG Platinum Elite members are greeted with the choice of water/trail mix or IHG Rewards Points (300/Gold, 500/Platinum) upon arrival.

Best Regards,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 27 January 2014

If you need a decent affordable place (by NY standards), with no frills attached, this hotel is fine. The location is perfect - a 7 min easy walk from Penn Station. The front desk reception/check-in was pleasant and quick. As an IHG Rewards Member, I received a snack of my choice and a bottle of water. The room was functional and appeared clean. And you can't go wrong with the complimentary Holiday Inn breakfast (just go early before the crowds gather).

Three things kept me from rating this hotel as "very good": 1) my room had a slight damp/musty smell. If there wasn't 6 inches of snow falling I would have walked down the street to get some air freshener. 2) Trying to control the room temp was a nightmare. There was no in-between; it was either really hot or too cool. I opted for really hot and just slept on top of the sheets. 3) There is no restaurant or bar on-site. Other than that, no problems.

Dear ksweet93,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience with future potential guests. While I am very happy to hear the our location was ideal and our staff were very efficient, I do thank you for making me aware of the slight musty odor in your room and the difficulty that you encountered in using the HVAC. Please be assured that I have already discussed these issues with my Director of Housekeeping and Director of Engineering to ensure that your former room is immediately scheduled for inspection by both managers. We appreciate being given the opportunity to correct any of our downfalls as quickly as possible to ensure all guests are delivered with a flawless product.

Best,

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Just minutes away from Penn station/Madison square garden made it the perfect location for our weekend getaway. Easy walk to Empire State bldg and quick subway ride to Rockefeller center,times square and Broadway.Because I am IHG member at checkin,I was welcomed with a snack,bottled water and had an automatic late checkout. Staff was really attentive...hair dryer didn't work and after a call to reception,they were replacing it within 5 minutes. Room was small but bathroom was spacious. Perfect for the two of us. Will definitely be returning to enjoy NYC in the spring!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MKW76
Dear MKW76,

Thank you for taking the time to review your weekend getaway with our hotel. I am pleased to hear that you found our location ideal and our staff friendly and accommodating.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the spring!

All the Best,

Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2014

This was our first time to NYC, and did not no what to expect. Firstly, we travelled in mid December and was freezing cold and stayed for 3 nights.

The hotel itself was very easy to get too, having taken the subway into Penn Station 34th Street and walked the rest, which is about 5 minutes.

Check in was very quick and hotel staff were fantastic the whole stay, very professional and friendly. We were on the 7th floor and our entire stay was peaceful and did not hear a thing, even with a room next to the lifts. The room was lovely inside with a huge bed and TV and plenty of space to store clothing and luggage, with nice clean décor. Free safety deposit box was perfect and simple to use to keep passports, money and documents safe. Bathroom was good enough. We walked absolutely everywhere whilst in New York so by then end of the day all we wanted was a shower and a good nights sleep and that is exactly what happened. I am one who hates any noise when trying to sleep, and I did not honestly hear a thing the entire stay.

The breakfast, I have to agree with earlier reviews, was just what you needed to start the day. BUT, seating area is on the small size and due to its location (next to the automatic opening doors in the reception), you get a cold draft if your sit near the doors. A few more tables for 2 people would have been perfect.

A computer room was ideal and free of charge to use to print boarding passes for return journey to UK. On check out, we left our baggage with the reception staff who gave us tickets to keep hold to collect our luggage later. This was a great service as the last thing you want is to walk New York City with luggage cases all day!

My only minor issues are the breakfast situation, mentioned above, which is hardly anything to cry about. Secondly, the air conditioning/heating in the room is a bit on the loud side and can take a while to heat the room up, but did the job for us, but it could do with some kind upgrade. That said, they are my only minor issues, which I why I still give it 5 stars.

Overall, I am definitely a person to read previous reviews when travelling to a hotel so I thought I would write my first one those like me. If you are after a place to sleep in a prime midtown location then definitely do not hesitate to stay here. We enjoyed it that much that I will recommend to anyone and WILL be staying here again.

Room Tip: Request a higher room before travel.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tom S
Dear Tom S,

Thank you for submitting such a wonderful, informative review. I am happy to hear that you found your stay worthy of 5 stars and will consider both recommending our hotel to others and visiting us again in the future.
Thank you for your minor critiques concerning the HVAC system as well as the lobby space. I will certainly share your feedback with our management team to see what improvements we can make to further enhance the experience that we deliver to our guests.