“Great value horel”

Holiday Inn Express New York City - Chelsea
Ranked #260 of 471 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 5 August 2014

First of all the location is amazing as you are right near MSG, Penn Station, Times Square is a 20 minute walk away.

For my purposes being a road way from the Renzo Gracie School and about 3 from Marcello Garcia's was incredible.

The staff are incredibly helpful and friendly, One in particular was like great Ula (?) I think her name was who did the morning/breakfast shift. If I needed something like a hoover to suck out the air of my travel bags she just got on with it and did so with a sincere smile. They were so kind that they let me keep my luggage there for 3 hours while I had to some bits in the city,

Breakfast was good, nothing mindblowing. The room was not the biggest but perfect for what I needed. One thing though they had an odd stool like piece of furniture which was served no purpose and I could have put my suitcase there instead.

Though the room was said to accomdate two, it would have been difficult to fitting in one medium sized suitcase let alone two. I had to use towel as bathmats, which is no biggy but still if it keeps downs costs and thus price I can live with it.

Very clean, the room, the loo, the dining area etc.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
gdesoiza, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City - Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Thank you Shuban!
We're really pleased that you enjoyed our location and that our staff (esp. Ula) was so responsive to your needs. The "odd piece of furniture) is actually our designers version of a luggage rack. So you were on the right track thinking that it was the perfect place for your luggage. I apologize that you did not get a proper bathmat. That must have been overlooked. Our towel selection is a brand standard and we don't skimp on those.
I hope that we can accomodate you again in the future
gary.desoiza@hhmlp.com

Write a ReviewReviews (2,093)

Reviewed 30 July 2014

For various (misinformed) reasons, I had avoided this hotel in my many stays in NYC. No longer. I had no options and reluctantly booked only to be surprised by a clean, friendly and comfortable experience. Everything was new and high quality. Much better than many of the similar competitive hotel brands in the same neighborhood. My room was a shoebox but that is to be expected in NYC. They made the best of the space and I have zero complaints. I will be staying again in the near future. This stay not only changed my opinion of the property but of the brand as well. I will be trying other HI Express hotels in the future.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank src13PHL
gdesoiza, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City - Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We're really pleased to hear that you'll return and stay with us again. I'm not sure how many times the Phillies play in NYC, but I hope hat you will contact me whenever you choose to retun.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Stayed here in October 2013 with my sisters. Room was clean but a bit cramped for 3 people with big bags (we came from a two-week trip from Paris). Bathroom was spotless. Breakfast buffet was more than enough to start the day. Though the dining area was a bit small we didn't have any problems finding a table since we had our breakfast before 8AM. We also appreciated their 24 hour coffee/tea facility at their dining area.
Check-in and check-out was seamless. Lots of restaurants and shops just around the corner. We availed of their airport transfer service (from an accredited company) rather than taking our chances in getting a cab down the street.

Room Tip: If you have big bags and traveling with 3+ persons be sure to ask for a bigger room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Thank you MamaSqueak!
We're really happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Typical New York City guest rooms can be challenging in size to many. It's a good thing there's so much to do in NYC. Our guests are usually exhausted, sleep well and spend very little time. We do our best to give you an immaculate environment and feed you well.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

A great place to stay in NYC! A little expensive but hey this is New York! Close to everything worth seeing in Manhattan especially if traveling by train as we did going to Boston. Your about three blocks from Penn Station and Madison Square Garden and about six blocks from Times Square. The rooms are a little small but we only used the room at night. You need to be early for breakfast as it turns into a feeding frenzy late in the morning. Leave our car somewhere outside NYC as parking in Manhattan is an expensive disaster.The trains and subway will get you to most destinations in NYC a lot faster than driving anyway. The staff was great and the room was clean and never did we worry about our personal safety at the hotel or on the street during all hours of the day...

Room Tip: Be early for breakfast!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
gdesoiza, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City - Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Thanks for reviewing us 226bike.
I apologize for the late response.
We're very proud of our staff, our cleanliness and our location.
You made me laugh when you called our breakfast a "feeding frenzy". Our Holiday Inn Express Start breakfast has recently been upgraded to add some additional "heathy" items. So the frenzy may get more intense, but it's worth it; given the breadth of choices. At certain time of the year, the hotel does get a little expensive, based on the events in our marketplace and the season. Believe me, when I tell you that as a brand, Holiday Inn Express is one of the best values on the average.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We checked in quite early in the morning after our flight from LHR, we were pretty tired and just wanted to sleep. Check in staff were lovely and offered us the ground floor room. I asked how was it and the check in lady advised some people like it as they don't have to queue for the elevator etc. We figured it would be fine and we were pretty tired and just wanted a nap. All seemed ok until the next morning, the smell of grease and fat stank the room out from the kitchen opposite our room. It was disgusting. We had breakfast which was pretty good, nothing amazing but a good start to a long day ahead and we then asked if we could move. Staff were really polite and sorted it straight away for us. When we went back to our room on the curtain rail there was a cockroach. So moving couldn't come quick enough!

The room we got put into was a lot better, really fresh and clean. Staff are super helpful and can't do enough for you. One of the staff gave us plenty of tourist info and recommended a really good steak house. I think it was called Uncle Jack's? Also Junior cheesecake is amazing and not too far from the hotel.

Overall was happy with the room in the end and the staff made up for any issues.

Room Tip: Don't get a ground floor room!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you Katie!
We really appreciate you taking the time to review your stay. I'm very happy to read your comments about how helpful our staff was. Some guest prefer not to use the elevators or climb stairs. So the lobby is perfect for them, but you have to be an early riser and enjoy he smell of the Express Start Breakfast being prepared in the morning. I assure that there is no abundance of grease and fat; as our pantry only contains an oven the heats and warms our quality controlled breakfast items. I wish I would have heard about your insect complaint while you were in house. I would have been happy to show you our food storage and prep areas. I and the New York City Department of Health insist upon proper food storage and cleanliness standards. Additionally, we have an aggressive pest control and maintenance program. New York City presents businesses with many natural challenges and we do our very best to eliminate them.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Great front desk folks....got be a room way earlier than 3PM so I could get work done before my meeting. Always had a bottle of water for me on these hot days in a suit go a long way! I will be making this my hotel in NYC from now on!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
gdesoiza, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City - Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Thanks for the great review Jason!
We always try to accomodate early arrivals. Our housekeeping and front office work very hard to turn the rooms around in our high occupancy hotel.
I'm really pleased to hear that you will make us your NYC hotel. If there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to contact me personally.
Gary DeSoiza, General Manager

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Three of us stayed at the HI Express. We found the rooms very clean. Although the rooms are small, you really shouldnt be in the room much, you should be out enjoying the city. Breakfast was great. They never ran out of anything.
Shelia...who worked at the front desk each day we stayed, was awesome! She answered all of our questions. The first night we were on the first floor and it was a bit noisy. Without hesitation the next day, Shelia moved us to the 15th floor. Shelia also helped us with car service to the airport. I would stay here again. It is close to Times Square the Flat Iron, Chelsea shops/restaurants and much more!!

Thank you Amydem27!
Sheila is the greatest! I'm really pleased to hear your feedback and I really appreciate you sharing your experience.
I happy to hear that you enjoyed our cleanliness and all of our staff's efforts. We're really proud of our location and we're glad to hear that you found us a value.
Gary DeSoiza, General Manager