“Good Deal, Good Staff”

Ranked #181 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Houston, Texas
“Good Deal, Good Staff”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Nice, clean, decent coffee. Friendly staff, yes, I said friendly staff, even for NYC. They were helpful by holding our luggage the last day when we checked out so we could do more sightseeing. I would stay here again. Great location!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Columbus, United States
Reviewed 3 February 2014

This hotel has a great location near the subway, so it is very convenient to get anywhere in New York City from here. The beds were comfortable, and the room was very quiet so it was easy to get a good night's sleep. The people at the front desk were extremely helpful with directions.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Somerset, MA
Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

We were visiting our daughter in NYC and were searching for a hotel close to where she lives. We had stayed at the Hilton Millenium on our last visit, and were very well pleased. We discovered the Hilton Garden Inn on the Avenue of the Americas. This is a very nice small hotel with only six floors. It has a workout out room with treadmills, ellipticals, exercise balls, mats, and free weights. The beds were very comfortable, and we had plenty of towels and toiletries.

There were a few downsides. The new/heating cooling system, recently installed, automatically turns down the heat when occupants leave the room. The fan rarely turns off, unless set on auto, therefore it is always blowing cool air. The room would not heat up. This was during the recent extreme coldwave in the Northeast. You can shut everything off, but then you will get no heat. A hotel staff member was able to override that automatic cooling effect, but the fan would still rarely stop. We had to keep the temp very high to get warm. Not a good feature.

One of the two elevators was broken, and apparently has been for some time. As one can imagine, the waiting time for the elevator was excessively long.

The final negative was in regards to breakfast. With our reservation, we received free breakfast for two. We worked out in the morning, showered, dressed, and went down to breakfast for 10:00 am. However, breakfast was over at 10:00 during the week. No one told us that!! Luckily, the kind staff in the restaurant were able to accommodate us, even though the breads and such were cold and stale. We were able to have juice and coffee as well as oatmeal.

Overall, I believe we will stay in this hotel again, in spite of the negatives. We are Hilton Honors members, and that provides with some amenities, in addition to an incentive to use or accumulate HH points.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Coventry, UK
Reviewed 17 January 2014

I had opportunity to visit NYC for a brief stay on the back of a business trip. I was looking for somewhere affordable, in a decent/central location and preferably where I could use my Hilton Honors Gold card. The Hilton Garden Inn New York City/Tribeca seemed to tick all the boxes. I was not disappointed; in fact, the hotel exceeded expectations. I could easily walk to various sites I wanted to visit (Katz's Delicatessen, Ground Zero Memorial, High Line, The Village). It was also very close to the subway for my visit to the Williamsburg District. The hotel was clean, safe and comfortable. The staff were very friendly, even allowing my friends to help themselves to coffee. My friends were impressed, especially with the rate and commented that the hotel had a ‘boutique hotel’ feel. The bar had a great selection of beers, including local Brooklyn and Bronx options, although not at the cheapest prices. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo

New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I am from and live in Bronx, NY. My partner and I chose to stay in Manhattan for the night as we attended the Winter Jazz Fest with some friends who also stayed on the property. I searched for reasonable hotels that were in close proximity of the venues we would be visiting. We got a reasonable price, read some reviews and decided to go for it.......And WALLAH!!! I have stayed in many hotels in Manhattan and have spent so much money only to be disappointed; but not this time. I would highly recommend this particular location as it is close to everything, from the subways, shopping, restaurants, etc. It was a perfect choice for our purpose and I am looking forward to the next opportunity to stay there again.

The lobby was bright and open. The front desk staff was friendly and engaging. Answered questions with confidence and just made me feel like a welcomed guest in my hometown. The rooms were clean, spacious, had Kerigs, mini fridge, room safe, and a microwave. The bathroom was spacious as well and there were Neutrogena products on the vanity. It was truly a treat.

We went to the attached bar/restaurant AOA and had great wine and some dinner before heading out. The convenience of having a restaurant attached was lovely. In addition, there was a concession area where we were able to get snacks after our night out, which I thought was good.

My only complaints are that our room was across from the stairwell exit and because the elevators were running a little slow, so many guests took the stairs and the constant slamming of the door the next morning was a bit disturbing. And the sheets didn't seem to fit the bed and we kept having to refit the fitted sheet on the mattress. Besides those two little quirks our stay was great.

I highly recommend Hilton Garden Inn New York/Tribeca to anyone looking for a great value in NYC. Kuddos!!

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms that are in front of the stairwell.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
NEW YORK, United States
Reviewed 13 January 2014

The lobby is clean and VINNY is very helpful. The best concierge I have ever met. He answered everything and the penthouse is very convenient and it is in a very beautiful location for a GREAT price. Don't change it and keep up the good work.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends

1 Thank Yardley F
toronto
Reviewed 12 January 2014

This property is amazing. My fiance and I stayed here during the NYE holiday to celebrate our recent engagement. If you want to get away from the crazy crowds of Time Square, this place is for you. If coming from Newark airport, take the NJ transit to Penn Station and jump on the A train. Exit at Canal street and the hotel is literally at your doorstep. In terms of subway it's amazing. Not sure if it was the time of year though, but the A train was running every 10-15 min which really sucked, but who cares. I want to thank the staff at the hotel that made our trip enjoyable. We received some great recommendations for restaurants etc. The subway wasn't even that bad to be honest under the circumstances on NYE. Just make sure you do not go too south as you end up in China Town which is pretty much the sketchist area of NYC IMO. Once again, thank you to the staff that worked from dec 28th-jan 1st.....

Room Tip: every room is fine
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple