“Stayed for a week”

Ranked #172 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Amherst, New York
“Stayed for a week”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

My husband was in town for business, so I spent the most time in the hotel. We had the car valet parked (you have to park in front of the hotel and go inside to let them know that you have a vehicle). The hotel was pricey, but convenient to my husband's place of work. The beds were so comfortable! The mattress inspired us to buy a much firmer mattress than what we have now. Getting the room cleaned was often a challenge as the housekeepers spoke little English, but if you called housekeeping, you could get your room cleaned (or stand awkwardly at the door while it was cleaned when someone finally showed up). Once the room was cleaned, we were good to go. The room has a fridge and microwave, which was nice for leftovers. The location is GREAT! Subway is almost right out the door and connects to several lines, there are also plenty of places to eat close to the hotel. I got a subway map from the front desk. The pamphlet I got also had a local map of the area so I wandered around Chinatown and Little Italy. If the weather was nicer, I would have walked around a lot more. The room also had a coffee maker (the K-cup kind) and I wish I would have known that so I could have brought along some K-cups of my own. The AOA Grill connected to the hotel was convenient for dinner (with reasonably priced meals) with good food. It was a pain to use the elevator as only one was working. It was faster to walk down the stairs rather than wait for the elevator.

Room Tip: The thermostat has a fan function, set it to fan and you have some white noise to block out any &quo...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Kristi824
PJ G, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Tribeca, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Kristi824,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to rate us on Tripadvisor. We are very delighted with your comments as I have shared them all with our staff. Thank you for sharing your feedback about our Housekeeping Service. Your feedback will help us as we continually work to improve our guest experience. I do hope that you choose us again when you return to NYC. We look forward to serving you again!

All the Best,
PJ Galang

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Middletown CT, United States
Reviewed 7 May 2014

The room is quite decent, the location excellent, and the staff is polite. However, one of the elevators was not working, the other had to be shared with the staff, and they did not clean the room until almost 7pm. Normally there are a plastic on the door nob informing the staff, "Yes you can clean now" or "No, let us rest." There was only the latter on both sides. The location is great but the management is not up to par.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

PJ G, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Tribeca, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Ronald,

Thank you for sharing this quick feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your honest input and apologize for our missteps in service and amenities. We will keep your comments in mind as we constantly look for new ways to improve our guests' experience moving forward and we hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in town and let us know how we are doing.

Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I have seen other people complain about the elevator for months and this is still not working. I do hope this is fixed soon as the waits for the elevator do take some time. Loved the location, very close to Soho with great shopping and restaurants. The subway is right next to the hotel, just a few feet! That could not be anymore convenient. I normally stay at the Hilton Garden Inn on 35th Street in NYC, the Tribeca locations rooms are definitely smaller. Great location and convenient for easy travel!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

1 Thank diachris
PJ G, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Tribeca, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Dear diachris,

Thank you for your recent review via Tripadvisor. I do appreciate sharing your feedback about our elevators. We working hard to put in back in service the soonest time possible. I'm very glad that despite the small inconvenience, you found the location "great and convenient". We do hope you'll visit us again! We will love to have you back!

All the Best,
East Lyme, Connecticut
Reviewed 2 May 2014

This was a great place to stay- very helpful staff. Good resteraunt downstairs and very convenient to get to. Room s might be a bit small- but overall great stay. nice views also and decent food in the surrounding neighborhood- close to Little Italy.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Dear lexjustine,

Thank you so much for rating your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn - Tribeca with 5 stars! We are very delighted that you had a great stay during your business trip to NYC! I do hope this gives us first consideration on future visits, may it be for business or leisure. We would love to have you back!

Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

We arrive on this hotel from France , all the staff was very comprehensive and helpful. if you need something you can ask and they find you an answer ( taxi , nail arts or other extravagant demand ;-) )
The bedroom is very calm but the air conditioner was noisy . The cleaning was doing too late some days , we returned at 5:00 pm one day and we need to find somebody to clean the room . One lift was under maintenance during our trip . But we loved to be on this hotel and we'll return to this one on our next trip in New York ...
The hotel is near Chinatown and Soho and one exit of the subway is at the exit of the hotel

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear wolfynapoli,

I am pleased to hear that you had a pleasant stay at our hotel. Thank you for complimenting our staff. I'm glad that you find them "helpful and comprehensive". I will definitely share this wonderful comment with them. Thank you for also sharing your feedback about our elevator and Housekeeping Service. Your comments will help us as we continually work to improve our guest experience as we look forward to serving you again!

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Our overall experience with this hotel was good. The beds are quite comfortable and the hotel rooms are clean. The location is perfect if you want to stay away from the hustle & bustle of Times Square. There are loads of great restaurants and shopping in the area, including the hotel's restaurant. Parking was $55/day which wasn't too bad compared to other hotels. We had an issue on our first night, too much noise since our room was near the elevator and stairwell. However after complaining the next morning our room was changed and we received complimentary breakfast passes. It was handled perfectly. Overall, we would recommend this hotel and stay again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Davenport, Iowa
Reviewed 29 April 2014

This is my second time staying at this hotel. I like the location. It's very easy to get to other parts of the city from here. The A,C,E lines are literally right out the front door and another set of lines are 1.5 blocks away.

I stayed here the first time largely because it was a good price and had gotten good reviews on TA and I had a wonderful experience. But this trip things seemed a little different at the hotel. The staff weren't quite as engaging as the first time, albeit still friendly. On my first visit the front desk staff always asked about the day's events, etc and would strike up a conversation if they weren't busy when you came in the front door.

The room rates were up nearly 50% since I last stayed in August 2013.

One of the two elevators wasn't working for the entire 3 days I stayed and the elevators are slow to begin with so you ended up standing in the lobby for quite a few minutes waiting.

I had trouble finding any breakfast at the hotel or even nearby. I probably didn't search hard enough and didn't bother to ask. I usually found something on my way to my destination anyway. AOA next door had a breakfast buffet of sorts but it was about $16 and I was just looking for a cup of yogurt, a coffee and maybe a waffle i.e. quick and inexpensive. AOA used to have an express area with those sorts of items but it was gone.

And the beds, well they're are still firm as ever. Even after dialing the firmness down to the lowest level I thought they were still fairly firm. Street noise was kind of bad this time too even on the 4th floor. Plus a garbage truck banging the dumpster up & down at 5am didn't make for very pleasant sleep.

And finally housekeeping seemed short staffed. I was periodically needing the room for work calls and my Spanish wasn't good enough to work out my coming & goings well enough to get our schedules aligned. I think I only got service 1 of the 3 days I was there.

Overall I still like this place but the rates seemed similar to a lot of other hotels and for that reason I'll probably try something different on the next trip.

Room Tip: get a room away from the street and away from the elevators/stairs. Noise travels down the halls qui...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business