“Miserable Snobby Service”
Review of The Bowery Hotel

The Bowery Hotel
Ranked #145 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 28 May 2011

Another guest and I attempted to take some vacation style photographs today with a little bit of a dressed up flair. I am taking a photography course and came to NYC to get some shots. That doesn't make me, "in the way." I use one normal Canon camera. I didn't have lights or anything obtrusive. Management flipped. Reception was rude. It's kind of ridiculous that you don't have the same rights as some famous celebrity afraid of the paparazzi. I wouldn't stay here again because now I feel super uncomfortable. Don't stay here if you want people to be nice to you and have the same rights as a celebrity. The guest comes first.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank savannahsara

Reviewed 20 May 2011

My daughter and I just returned home from a weeklong stay in NYC. We really enjoyed the Bowery Hotel. The service was impeccable and immediate; the room extremely comfortable. The location was perfect for us .... just a couple of blocks from Nolita, Soho, the Lower East Side, the East Village, and NYU.

The lobby and bar scene in the evenings is amazing. The place is packed with celebrities! Everyone dresses up somewhat, and everyone appeared to be having a good time. You can hear the noise from the lobby late into the night, but I found it soothing.

Another fun thing was the deep, old-fashioned bathtub. They stock the bathroom with bubble bath, and you get slippers to take home.

All in all, a memorable stay!

Room Tip: Get a room with the bathtub!
  • Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank Jellish
Reviewed 12 May 2011

We stayed the weekend at the Bowery Hotel to attend our nephew's art exhibit at The Cooper Union. The hotel was not only convenient to The Cooper Union, it was also a quick walk to the East Village, West Village, SoHo, and Union Square. In addition, the staff is attentive and helpful without being overbearing. Every hotel employee we encountered was pleasant and upbeat. Our room was generously sized by Manhattan standards, and the amenities were first rate. The hotel was also quiet, and the bed comfortable. There is a sunlit enclosed patio off the lobby where guests can enjoy food and drinks.

But the lobby lounge is the pièce de résistance. It's a large room furnished with comfortable stuffed chairs and sofas arranged in conversation groupings, with sufficient coffee tables, end tables and work tables. The lighting is comfortably subdued. I spent an entire morning in the lounge with my laptop plugged in, using the hotel's free wireless internet, working. I had no trouble using the wireless in my room or the lounge. The lounge attendant who brought me breakfast and coffee was unobtrusive, yet never let my coffee cup become empty, and never made me feel I had overstayed my welcome.

And speaking of breakfast, the hotel restaurant, Gemma, was a delight. The food was freshly made using high quality ingredients, many from local producers, and prepared flawlessly. We enjoyed a thin crust pizza that was mouthwatering, and the al fresco breakfast we ate on Sunday was delectable. (Possibly the best creamy polenta with sunny-side up eggs in Manhattan.) Real Vermont maple syrup on the tables, Sarabeth jam for the toast. Very good coffee.

I know some people have dissed the hotel because they've been turned away from the lounge. (The hotel limits the use of the lounge and enclosed patio to hotel guests.) It's just petty to complain about that - the hotel keeps these areas as a comfort to its guests. The price for this is included in the cost of the stay. Get a room.

Room Tip: There are rooms with terraces.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2011

I enjoyed a delightful stay at The Bowery Hotel with dinner outside the Gemma restaurant. The service was impeccable from the front desk staff, to the wait staff, to the doormen. My room was immaculate and comfortable, with possibly the nicest rainfall shower I've ever seen in a hotel. I normally stay in Hyatt or Westin properties, and was intrigued by the 1920's style charm of The Bowery with the dark wood paneled elevators and intimate lobby seating.

Dinner was excellent and the zucchini flower appetizer is both unusual and delicious. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 April 2011

From before we arrived at the Bowery Hotel staff there had provided us with several recommendations for services in the area for our impending wedding; these all turned out to be first class. Throughout our stay we were treated with courtesy by all staff and nothing was a problem. When we booked the room we asked for a corner room on an upper floor which is exactly what we got. Our room had double full length windows providing great views; it was well equipped, extremely clean and comfortable. The bar and lobby area are very atmospheric and every day of our 5 day trip the place was buzzing. The waiting staff were all characters and very friendly. The restaurant attached to the hotel served very good and reasonably priced Italian food which probably accounted for the fact that it was very busy and again full of atmosphere. Do not be put off in the least by the close proximity of the Bowery Mission because we were treated with respect at all times by the various residents and visitors to that establishment that we came across. The area is well served by bars and restaurants, coffee shops etc and provides easy access on foot to a variety of great parts of town. We will definitely be back

Room Tip: Just ask
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 March 2011

Great part of town, staff welcoming and friendly. The bar/lounge is funky and being a guest is a little like being a VIP pushing past the crowds with priority access.

Bleeker St station is 250 metres away and can zoom you uptown or downtown with trains running every few minutes on the 6.

The rooms are nicely featured and the bed was very comfy.

My one regret was only eating breakfast on the last day at the hotel. It was the best breakfast in the 7 days we had been in NY.

Enjoy the Bowery

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 March 2011

Just rally like the place. It's home for me and just a fe blocks away from where i live. If you want to live in a hotel but never stay in one then this is for you.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo