“We will not stay anywhere else when we come to NY.”
Review of The Bowery Hotel

The Bowery Hotel
Ranked #194 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Key West, Florida
“We will not stay anywhere else when we come to NY.”
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We have 25 yrs of NY concierge experience between us. We now live out of state, but travel to NY for business at least 10 times a year and will not stay anywhere else.
The staff is professional and friendly.
Gemma is their fantastic northern Italian restaurant. The lobby/atrium is perfect for business meetings or delicious cocktails made by true mixologists!
You will not be disappointed..

• Stayed July 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Atlanta
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I honestly felt like I could move into my room at the Bowery and live there. What other hotel has hardwood floors, oriental rugs, mable baths, is immaculate etc.? I used to always stay at the W on Broadway when traveling on business, but from now on my "go to hotel" in NYC will be the Bowery...

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank veda&gary
Iowa
Reviewed 8 July 2012

I have always wanted to stay in this hotel, and finally got the chance for a long weekend in March. It is truly a beautiful place, antiquey-luxury, with gorgeous accents everywhere in the lobby and lounge. The rooms are also cute, but look much more shopworn. We stayed on a fairly high floor and the view looking uptown was truly incredible.

There are so many great things about this hotel, especially in terms of service--easy, free, no-register wi-fi, daily delivery of NYT, super friendly front desk staff and waiters--that it made me sort of want to become one of those people who always stays here when I come to NYC. The room service is from a good restaurant below the hotel, and is fairly reasonably priced (we had brunch and my caprese omelette was super tasty!). The location in the East Village is awesome--you can't beat it for having fun in Manhattan. The drinks in the bar were so good--you should definitely have a few cocktails while staying there. But on another level, the hotel has that clubby feeling that everyone staying there is trying very hard to be cool. (The staff doesn't have to try to be cool--they were naturally awesome and had zero attitude, which was lovely.) It was hard to reconcile that feeling of hoping to fit in with the fact that I was a tourist from Iowa and there is no hiding how uncool I really am, no matter how much money I spend to pretend otherwise.

I'd never really stayed in such a trendy hotel, and this one, as fun as it was, made me realize I value convenience and scrubbed-to-the-bone cleanliness over style. There was nothing wrong with the hotel or our room other than the fact that the room had like zero sound-proofing. It was St. Patrick's Day and you could hear every single thing that happened on the street below. Also: I had to iron something and the ironing board was the kind from Ikea for people who live in shoeboxes, which was mildly problematic for dealing with wrinkly travel clothes, but this is to be expected in NYC. But despite how nice the room was, it still felt very, very lived in, and for $350 a night (for the very smallest room!), I kind of want to not be reminded of how many people have stayed there before me. So it was a fun experiment, and I would certainly love to hang out at the Bowery again, but I think it caters to a very different type of traveler than myself. I would recommend it to people who want to feel like they are living sort of like hip locals, who are aiming for a more bohemian but still luxurious and trendy NY experience.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Lucy_Wanderlust
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Pros:
- hip hotel in the coolest location in NY
- friendly and helpful staff: young and beautiful people
- wifi and bikes for free
- king rooms: large bathrooms with huge windows overlooking the skyline
- cozy ambience, well equipped rooms, awesome minibar stuff with Dean and De Luca food and other amenities, Co Bigelow bathroom soaps

Cons
- NONE

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank saimonmays
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 July 2012

The Bowery Hotel is a "vintage" hotel even though it is only 5 years old. Located on the fringe of the Village, it is a quiet oasis with a beautiful terrace for breakfast or drinks. The staff is very attentive (lending me their personal phone charge) and the rooms are very clean.
I loved all the little touches like the bear logo, tasseled key and wonderful room amenities.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back are silent
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CaraMHutchins
Breinigsville, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 27 June 2012

My sister flew in from LA to stay here for a work gig, so I drove in from PA to spend the night with her. Such a beautiful, clean, classy, charming little hotel. From the second you check in, you know this isn't your typical chain hotel. The room keys are actual keys attached to an oversized, old fashioned tassel. I'm a sucker for details. Great staff- very friendly and helpful. Clean, nice size for NYC, and well renovated (updated without loosing an historical charm). Location was not much of an issue for me, as I was there to see my sis really. But lots to do and see, and walking distance to many great restaurants.

Room Tip: OK... There was no pool that I know of, but I accidentally clucked on a rating and can't unclick...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Colleen C
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Top line: book this hotel if youre looking for a more authentic New York stay.

I've visited many hotels in NYC - almost all in Midtown - and for as much fun as some of those can be, I won't be booking anywhere but the Bowery Hotel, as long as the quality, service and value continue at the high standards they exhibited on this stay. The location is great - unexpectedly so. It's within a few blocks of two useful subway lines that connect well to the rest of the system. There's a huge Whole Foods on Houston, two blocks south, and other useful shops within easy reach. The hotel seems perfectly situated between the high-styled shops and restaurants in SoHo (5 blocks) the neighborhood eateries of the East Village (2 blocks), and commercial Union Square (12 blocks). Wonderful neighborhood eateries boasting every kind of cuisine and many trying valiantly to have locally sourced organic foods on their menus can be found on virtually every corner, in every direction, and at prices that won't alarm most people willing to stay in a hotel at this price point. Better still, it's possible to get a table at most of these establishments without a reservation - but the hotel staff were fantastic about calling ahead just to be sure.

Speaking of the staff, from househeeking to host, bellhop to bartender, this team is by far the most motivated, friendly and clearly well-trained of any hotel I've stayed at recently - especially in New York. Honestly: their attitude was nothing like I'd have expected from a NYC hotel. My radar was up when I had to make a call to alter my reserved dates a few days before arriving. The person in the reservations department was so helpful and cheerful, and my request handled so smoothly, I thought perhaps some strange joke was afoot. But that attitude and pleasantness continued, even increased, from the moment I checked in until I left five days later.

I had a king room, corner, mid-rise. The view of downtown was spectacular. The room was larger than I expected for a New York City hotel room - and for the price point, better furnished and equipped. If I have to find some criticisms: the elevators are a little slow and not always promptly available. The cleanliness of the room was somewhat dampened by the need of the exterior windows to be washed. Lastly, housekeeping and I seemed to be on completely different schedules. I like my room to be serviced early in the day when I'm out, but often my room wasn't serviced until very late afternoon. Contrast this with turndown service, which seemed to want to take place too early in the evening. But I'm just nit-picking.

One thing I don't often rave about but would be remiss not to touch on here: this hotel's restaurant "Gemma" is amazing for a hotel restaurant. It fits so nicely into the neighborhood (except for its relatively large size) that it doesn't feel like the typical hotel restaurant. The food is also innovative and tasty. It's menu is reasonably priced...and happens, also, to be identical to the 24/7 room service menu. Don't overlook Gemma as an option while you're at the hotel...or even if you decide to stay somewhere else. It's a great place to eat.

Bottom line: the Bowery is a golden thread woven into a rich tapestry that is New York City. If you're looking for the carefully-constructed resort-type neighborhood...keep looking. Otherwise enjoy. I did.

Room Tip: Rooms above 4th floor will have best views.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business