“Step Back in Time” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #118 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Saint James, New York
“Step Back in Time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2012

The Bowery Hotel is the perfect location if you want to visit Soho and the Villages. Check in was quick and the front desk staff very nice. The King corner room was small but very cozy. We had a spectacular view of the new Freedom Tower from the floor to ceiling windows. The main level has a large sitting area with working fireplace which was cozy, inviting and beautiful! The restaurant Gemma serves delicious food. The wait staff for dinner on Friday night very attentive and helpful with menu and wine selection. We also had breakfast on Sunday morning which was also very good. But unfortunately we were ignored by our waiter for most of the meal. I had to actually get up and get things from other tables. I would definitely stay here again if given the
opportunity.

Room Tip: I sleep very light and the room we had, although great for view, was subjected to loud late night st...
2 Thank NYCHotelLady

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

We booked the Bowery for our recent trip to NYC because we like the location, within walking distance of Soho and the East Village. We also like the homey decor, big windows and large rooms.
When the hurricane hit New York on Monday, we were having dinner in Gemma, the restaurant downstairs. All of a sudden the lights went out. The restaurant and hotel staff were not fazed. Additional candles were lit and we were all served a complimentary glass of champagne.
From then on, for the rest of our elongated stay due to flight cancellations, staff went above and beyond to make the best of a less than ideal situation, including making sure all the guests were fed by offering buffet meals at breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Thanks and kudos to all.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Jane H
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

Okay so there we were my wife and I in the Bowery Hotel on the weekend of Oct 27. The storm had been announced and we tried without success Escape from New York. Monday evening as they were serving our main course in the dining room the power went out. The staff at Gemma (the hotel restaurant) immediately opened Champagne and served it to all the guests with extra candles for the tables.
From then until Wednesday evening when we were able to checkout - as the power was still not on - the hotel management and staff worked literally around the clock to take care of its guests. from breakfast lunch and dinner buffets without power to cleaning the rooms. The night the power went out , our room key failed to work although the rest of the hotel for the most part was fine. within minutes, the maintenance guys came, un assembled the frame of the door and let us in. then they proceed to re assemble the door. then they fixed the lock - after we were comfortably in our room.
It was the best stay in a bad weather situation. Our thanks goes out to everyone there.

2 Thank Rodney G
Windsor, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

Having stayed in NY before, we wanted to find somewhere in lower Manhatten, as this is where we found ourselves spending most of the time previously, especially in the evening. All the hotels we looked at were very expensive - not sure why but it may have been the week we chose. I see other visitors had rooms with great views etc, but ours was fairly basic but OK. I think for the price I should have asked for a room higher up. The Bowery Hotel is full of character and therein lies the issue. If you are just staying there to sleep and not utilising the bar area, then it is a bit of a waste. I am not sure I would be in the bar in the afternoon as the whole place is occupied by individuals with laptops who are tapping away (unless of course I needed to do that - I can see why people are there as it would be a great place to do this!). The Bowery shuts off the free WiFi at 5pm I think - so that should clear them all out - and then the bar comes into a life of its own. As a resident, they say they will find you somewhere to sit, so it would have been great if we had used it, but as we didn't, I don't think we made the most of the Bowery. Therefore I find it hard to really love the place as the room was OK but very expensive, there was no breakfast and I didn't use the best bit of the hotel - the bar. I think I would stay again provided I could get a good price for the room and I was going to use the bar!

Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2012

The Bowery Hotel is very nicely furnished in a faux antique old English kind of style. Since the building is a brand new construction and the furnishings are aging well, things are functioning and are not overly worn, noisy, or otherwise difficult to deal with, such as so many other New York hotels. The rooms have a decent size and nice powerful showers. Downstairs the scene is happening and chilled at once, with some celebrity spotting. My only suggestion would be to spend more time training the staff, especially the receptionists. They seem somewhat unprofessional and uninterested.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2012

My teenage daughter and I stayed at the Bowery for 3 nights.

I had requested - about 3 weeks in advance - a corner king with a bathtub. On our first night, we stayed in room 302, a king room with a terrace overlooking the park and on the remaining nights we stayed in room 1011, a corner king with a bathtub and a skyline view. The terrace room was very quiet; from the corner room, you could hear sounds from the street.

I chose this hotel after seeing it on the Mr. and Mrs. Smith website. I have stayed at a number of their hotel recommendations (URBN/Shanghai, Keppler/Paris, Opposite House/Beijing) and have liked every one. The monogrammed bed linens and all marble bathrooms also appealed to me.

I loved this hotel and here is why:

View
The room had two floor-to-ceiling industrial windows looking north right up to the Empire State building. The bathroom also had a large window so you could enjoy the skyline view while soaking in the oversized marble-surrounded tub. It was fabulous.

Details
Everywhere you look in the room, there are lovely details; brass bathroom fixtures, stained glass panel dividing the hall and the room, gold swirled wallpaper in the wardrobe, folding bedside lamps...it went on forever and I enjoyed looking at every inch of the room.

Location
This was my second visit to NYC and I wasn't sure what I would find in the Bowery. We arrived at 10PM on a Saturday evening and were reassured by the front desk that it was perfectly safe to walk the 8 blocks to dinner. There were a lot of people on the streets, mostly young. There are NYU buildings and the Cooper Union close to the hotel so there are students in the area.

From the hotel, we walked to the following restaurants and bakeries:
Momofuku Noodle Bar

Subway and Taxi
About a 5 minute walk to the subway
About 20-25 minutes by taxi to the Metropolitan Museum of Art

Room Service
I ordered a $4 espresso with heated half & half each morning. It arrived at the very beginning of the time frame requested. Very prompt.

Gemma's
We ate a pizza in the afternoon. I can not recommend the food.

The room was immaculate.

Water pressure
The volume and pressure of the water was incredible. I live in the land of water saving shower heads and the amount of water in the Bowery showers is not to be believed!

Improvements Needed
The elevators and elevator hallway off the lobby seemed tired and they did not smell good. On one day our room still hadn't been cleaned at 2PM!

Room Tip: North facing. Higher floor. Corner room.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Conn
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2012

First the location is great, Subways close by, Many places to eat, Both High end & Low end.
As others have said the Bedding is 1st rate, But not the bed, It is a platform bed no box spring
not enough comfort for me.
The staff was fine, And yes the lounge area did seem like a club, I got the feeling I wasn't a member.
Bathroom very clean well layed out, A//C great, Windows the open what a treat.
Cost a little high.....Welcome to the big city!

P.S. Bathrooms have rain showers ,No hand helded showers. Hard not to wash your hair

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room
1 Thank papae-conn