“Home away from home”
Review of The Bowery Hotel

The Bowery Hotel
Ranked #123 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 22 January 2011

We love the Bowery Hotel. Above, I wrote "September, 2010" as my date of stay, but I'm not positive that's when I last stayed there. We've slept at the Bowery Hotel about a dozen nights a year for the past several years.

The rooms are beautiful in a stylish, tasteful, timeless way. The sheets are great, the assortment of tiny cookies they leave every night are delicious, the rooms are quiet. Some of the bathrooms have really awesome tubs with views of Lower Manhattan, but they all have wonderful showers and great lighting.

The service here is exactly what we expect from fancy hotels. Every member of the staff has been unfailingly friendly and helpful. Laundry is returned quickly, maid service is incredibly efficient yet invisible, room service is prompt, etc., etc.

We also adore the lounge area. It's true that the cocktails expensive. Of course they are! It's a very popular meeting spot in a 5 star hotel in New York City. Is it actually 5 star? I never pay attention to star numbers. It's certainly a very expensive New York City Hotel, so expect the cost of your cocktails to be representative.

Most weeknights and very late at night, the lounge/bar is elegant, yet super comfortable and relaxing, and the drinks are very good (I once received a disappointing Pimm's Cup, complained, and got an improved one immediately). At other times, the lounge can be crowded and a little crazy.

By the way, we're regular urban Adults who are not terrifically hip and stylish. I mention this because I noticed a few reviewers thought they were being discriminated against for being older or uncool or whatever.

Oh, and for the best coffee in Manhattan, go across the street!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 January 2011

This was a great hotel with lovely rooms and very good service!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 January 2011

I've never written a review of any of my many stays at The Bowery Hotel...I think perhaps it was because I didn't want to be responsible for any more visitors...I wanted it all to myself! It is, without question, my favorite hotel in the world. But instead of another glowing review, I write only to respond to those NON-GUESTS who have besmirched the Bowery's good name because they were turned away from the bar or the lobby even though there were seats available. If you are considering staying here, then you should REJOICE about this policy. The hotel lobby and bar are gorgeous--every detail is perfect. I think this is the only hotel lobby that I have ever wanted to actually spend time in, as opposed to rushing out to go eat and drink somewhere else. The first thing I always do after checking in, is to head down to the lobby or the terrace and wind down from my travel. And, every visit, I am overwhelmingly grateful to the hotel for doing their best to ensure that there is always room for me to sit down and enjoy the public areas instead of losing my seat to the hordes of people who would want to hang out there or who want to stalk the celebrity who is just trying to enjoy a quiet pot of tea by the fire. I don't care if the policy seems elitist or snobby. It's merely a policy meant to ensure an inviting atmosphere for those of us who have discovered the best hotel in the world and actually want to enjoy our stay there. THANK YOU, Bowery Hotel, for not turning your gorgeous hotel lobby into just the latest "hot spot" and ruining it for those of us who cherish what you've done with the place.

Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
7  Thank Garnet_Gyrl
Reviewed 18 December 2010

I loved this hotel and the location was perfect. The rooms are very clean and the staff is super friendly. I'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 December 2010

The scene; A cold December night. The sparsely populated lobby of the Bowery Hotel.
The people; A group of well dressed, well behaved 50 somethings in search of a drink in the opulent, beautiful setting.
The way it went down: Upon arrival, the first 3 of the out of towners are approached by an unsmiling manager who asks if they are guests of the hotel. Upon hearing an answer in the negative, he promptly informs them of the hotel policy not to serve anyone who is not a guest. Eventually offers a table. As 5 more arrive, the manager flies over to them and insists they all move over to a frigid, empty terrace. Once there, they are allowed to sit
in the outermost part which is unlit. Requests to move closer to heat and light in the empty terrace are denied. The policy is again invoked. Feeling unwelcome and offended, the visitors quickly imbibe the $17 dollar drinks and head out. While putting on coats in the lobby, the manager stands by them ensuring that a nearby palm is unharmed.
Postscript: Eight prosperous, potential guests? The Bowery Hotel doesnt need them. Just ask the manager.

Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
5  Thank viajera59_10
Reviewed 9 December 2010

Having stayed in Chelsea, Soho, Tribeca, Midtown before we wanted to stay in LES and explore this area. After careful research we chose The Bowery and were NOT disappointed. Everything about this hotel is amazing, starting even before we arrived. The Front desk really took care of us by helping us with reservations, recommendations etc. Upon arrival we were upgraded to a fantastic corner room with a tub and a bottle of champagne greeted us on the table. Throughout our stay (4 days) we enjoyed the restaurant Gemma (really great italien food - do try the polenta fritters and the seared tuna), the bar (excellent service) and more assistance from the hotel staff. The area is amazing, tried a lot of the restaurants nearby: Double Crown/Madame Geneva - spot on, DBGB - great burgers etc...). We are returning to New York every year and will never stay anywhere else. Are already looking forward to our stay in June.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 November 2010

I had friends in town from LA who were staying uptown at the Four Seasons. I wanted to introduce them to NY downtown and recommended The Bowery Hotel. So we stopped by after our dinner in SoHo on Saturday night to take a look around and have a drink in the Lobby. The Manager rudely told us that their was no room in the bar (though we saw several empty seating areas available). When questioning him further about the availabilty he became abusive and abruptly walked away. I have never experienced anything like this in my life. Noone should ever frequent this establishment.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family