“Amazing Find”

62 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“Amazing Find”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The bartenders are friendly and great to chat with. The space itself is really unbelievable. Drinks are served in mugs and the decor is dark and chic. A hidden gem in the LES that is now on my list of go tos!

Visited May 2014

Alpharetta, Georgia
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Loved the tea cups”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Cocktails and beer are served in tea cups in this prohibition-style establishment. There are couches and tables away from the bar to sit down and have a conversation. I really enjoyed my visit

Northport, New York
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Door staff ruined it.”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I had made a reservation here weeks in advance to celebrate my birthday on a Saturday night,which was apparently for nothing. The doormen acted like children, turning their backs to the crowd, refusing to listen to anyone or let people in as others left.

I was showing them multiple emails on my phone, trying to get to my table- so instead of enjoying the night with friends and family (which may have worked in the industry, by the way) I was arguing with doormen.

Once inside, it wasn't even crowded! My sister in law had to pay off a doorman to get in, even though I had bought a bottle with my reservation.

If you plan on coming here with a reservation- just know that you are spending a ton of money for nothing, and will have to deal with immature doormen. On top of all that, the management didn't care at all- there are tons of other great speakeasies in NYC- go somewhere else!

Visited January 2014
4 Thank ktitone
Leeds
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“A real find in every sense”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

My partner and I set out on a bar crawl which included this place. It took a bit of finding, but we were really glad we managed to locate it. It is a prohibition-style bar where all booze is served in mugs and teacups. There are lots of nice touches, so well worth seeking out.

New York City, New York
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“A lot of potential wasted by poor staff”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Went out here with friends. This is the kind of place I really want to like…you go through a non-descript metal gate, down a set of stairs into an alley and then back up a set of stairs to a well-conceived speakeasy on the Lower East Side. The decor is well-done, and serving cocktails in coffee cups is a nice Prohibition touch. This should be a home run, except...

That said, the staff is horrible. I ordered gin and tonics - how hard is that to get wrong with decent gin - and the drink came out different every time. Wrong garnish, wrong proportions, wrong everything. When we arrived, we found an empty table without any markings or signs, and an hour later, a hostess comes over and tells us we have to move since the table had been reserved. That's fine, but either put a sign on it so we don't sit down in the first place, or tell us in advance so we know it's going to be a temporary spot.

The last piece was closing out. The bar is a madhouse, so I go to the side by the server station to close out. Bartender asks me what I want, and I tell him I want to close out. He waved me off with his hand, pointing that I had to walk around and wade through the bar crowd. No words, just wave. I tell him, again, that all I want to do is close out, and I get the hand wave again. At least 15 minutes of waiting and wading to get through the bar crowd, and I was so disgusted that I could not tip them…something I don't remember ever doing at a bar before. I have tended bar, and I know how grinding it is to work a busy bar, but you have got to be kidding me.

Cool ambience is nice, but a bar is, at the end of the day, a bar. You need to be able to serve a well-made drink and manage your crowd. If you cannot do that, that is a problem.

3 Thank Brian K