“"Just" drinks- wish I lived in this neighborhood!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: British, Bar, Pub
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Oxford, United Kingdom
“"Just" drinks- wish I lived in this neighborhood!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

My sister and I met up with a friend here for drinks late one night after a Broadway show. It was mid-week and there were a few other patrons there to keep my friend occupied while she waited on us. It's a great location for people from around the city because Grand Central (subway/trains) is just 2 tiny blocks away. There were definitely people from the neighborhood popping in so it did not feel like a hotel bar/restaurant at all. I bet a lot of people didn't even know there was a hotel there! The bartender was fabulous and the drinks were delicious- there were some great signature "British" cocktails to choose from. If I'm buying a cocktail in NYC this it the yummy distinctive type I'm happy to shell out city prices for. As it got later and the patrons thinned out the bartender was so gracious- he didn't rush us at all. The interior feels like a very posh British pub without being over-the-top. A few rooms to choose from, comfortable and stylish sofas and coffee tables. I wish I lived nearby as this would definitely become a local haunt!

• Visited July 2014

Hudson, New York
“Jack's review”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

This restaurant is in the William Hotel. We had dinner here the first evening and the quality of the food was great. We also had brunch there on Sunday morning prior to leaving. Also excellent. Great service and food.

Visited July 2014
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Dined here one evening and have to say, it was one of the best meals I have had. Excellent choice of food, with a heavy British influence! The sticky toffee pudding is out of this world... as is the banoffee trifle! Atmosphere is great too, with drawing rooms to enjoy your pre dinner drinks in, then the dining room which is bustling, but not in an oppressive way. There will be an outside dining area completed soon, so will have to go back for lunch soon!!!

• Visited May 2014
New York City
“The Peacock Struts it's Stuff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

The Murray Hill area has a wonderful new restaurant, The Peacock, located in the hotel The William on East 39th Street off Madison. Very British, warm small dining rooms, lots of atmosphere and very cordial staff. Excellent service. (Downstairs is The Shakespeare, pub type, much lower priced, but much louder and younger crowd.)
Almost all the dishes had unusual and innovative pairings, and my daughter and I loved all our courses. For appetizers we had a beet salad, with ricotta, and it was large enough to be a small entree. The roasted cauliflower was quite good. Main courses were excellent, salmon and curry lamb, both uniquely prepared. We splurged and ordered 2 desserts, which had several components, decadent and delicious. The cappucino was too strong, but no complaining after our leisurely feast.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
White Plains, New York
“Great dining experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

I visited with a group of British expat friends after having been to the sister restaurant (Jones Wood Foundry) a few times. We had an early table and arrived shortly after opening time for cocktails. The building is very well designed with a separate rooms for cocktails and dining. The drawing room where we enjoyed pre- and post- dinner cocktails was very cosy and reminded me of old English hotels.

We all enjoyed the food, which was a perfect rendition of English classics but with a special high-end touch. My duck cottage pie was fantastic and my friends enjoyed their dishes too.

The restaurant was a little quiet when we were first seated but it picked up as the night went on. We all appreciated a break from the usual cramped, noisy, quick turnaround Manhattan dining experience. We will definitely be back!

Visited April 2014