“Loved this show - Go to the Ladies Room before it starts!”
Review of Les Miserables

Les Miserables
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The epic musical that's captured the hearts of millions is back on Broadway! LES MISERABLES has returned to Broadway's Imperial Theatre in an acclaimed new production that has audiences leaping to their feet. Set against the backdrop of 19th-century France, LES MIZ is an unforgettable story of heartbreak, passion, and the resilience of the human spirit, that has become one of the most celebrated musicals in theatrical history. Featuring the timeless score and beloved songs "I Dreamed A Dream", "Bring Him Home", "One Day More", and "On My Own", this breathtaking new Broadway production has left the critics awestruck, hailing it "A LES MIZ FOR THE 21ST CENTURY!" (The Huffington Post)
Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Loved this show - Go to the Ladies Room before it starts!”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I loved this show! This was the first time I had seen it in play form and the Broadway performance was fantastic. I loved the singing. It was amazing and filled the theater. I am not an expert at the different actors but I was happy with each one. The leads were strong with good voices and the little boy was amazing. One thing I did not like was the bawdiness in a couple of scenes. I wasn't expecting that since I had only seen the movies. I thought it was vulgar and intended for laughs (which it got - so I might be in the minority). It could have been toned down and still been funny. I would not take children to this performance. But it did not keep me from loving this show. I do recommend using the ladies room before the performance and if you intend to visit during intermission - jump up from your seat and run! There was an extremely long line even though they had the funniest bathroom moniters/ushers I have ever seen. These women "barked" orders like they were evacuating a sinking ship. They weren't trying to be funny but were dead on serious. You will meet them as soon as you enter the theator and I will say it added to my total enjoyment of the experience. Do not cross them!! Ha. I want to go again. Loved, loved, loved it! We had good seats near the front but I doubt there was a bad seat there. My sister who bought the tickets because it is her favorite of all time even commented."I didn't have to pay this much for good seats". The theater is small.

• Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Disappointed with the understudies.”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My fiancee and I were very excited to see Les Mis only to be completely disappointed by the lack luster performance of that night's cast, specifically Aaron Walpole. I can't help but feel as though our trip to Manhattan was a wasted one. Such a shame.

4 Thank Nick P
“Best cast by far”
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

First of all, read the comments that gave this musical a 1 or 2. Then laugh your butt off at how stupid those reviews are. I saw this for the first time EVER so I had a hard time with the plot, but besides that, the pit sounded amazing and the actors sang even better than the original cast. The main lead, Ramin Karimloo, literally has the best voice I've ever heard. LITERALLY! After figuring out the plot, the way the music and lyrics blend together creates an emotional story throughout. The only thing that doesn't deserve a 5 is the set. There wasn't much set, BUT Victor Hugo's original paintings were used as the background which was really cool. Trust me, if you already are a fan of Les Miz, or you love music, this show will blow you away. Don't listen to the stupid inaccurate reviews about it. It is truly a magical experience.

Visited March 2014
Williamsport, Pennsylvania
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“NOT JUST ANOTHER REPRODUCTION”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

A new superbly strong cast, wonderful sets and costumes, made this production of LES MISERABLES so powerful, at least the night I was there, the audience was on its feet even before curtain call. And as somebody who has seen this show several times in various venues, I swear I saw a scene or 2 that I have never seen before. The barricade was so huge that there was no way they could turn it around, as in the original. MUST see if you are a les mis aficionado.

43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Not as good as the original, but still entertaining”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I see that most people have given this revival of Les Miserables fairly glowing reviews, so I feel bad providing an alternative view of my favorite musical of all time. I saw the original production on Broadway and have seen the traveling show two times.

I found the current production to be poorly directed. I think the movie version and the current rock musical trend has negatively impacted the delivery of the singing. There was way too much talking through lines and the singing in many of the songs was weakly delivered (poorly projected). The first act especially seemed rushed. Finally, I don't think the tweaks to the songs added anything to the production. I'm fairly certain all of this was intentional--I just didn't like the intent.

Some of the casting was also weak. Eponine had a strange voice and her facial expressions were odd. I thought Javert and Thenardier were better actors than they were singers, although Thenardier over acts to the point of distraction.

With all of that being said, the sets and especially the lighting were beautiful. Some of the characters were strong: Enjolras, Gavroche, and the Bishop. And the ensemble numbers were powerful and every bit as good as the original. It bothered me a bit that the ensemble seemed better than the leads, but I'm pretty sure that was more direction than talent.

I think if I had gotten half-priced tickets (which seem to be readily available) I would have been more generous with my review. I wouldn't buy tickets in advance if I were you. TKTS will have them and then you won't have invested as much to see the show.

If you thought the movie was good or if you think Andrew Lloyd Webber writes the best musicals, then you'll love this production. If you've never seen Les Miserables before, it's worth seeing. If you saw the original production, I doubt you'll like it as much as the original. However, it's still a great musical, so it's worth seeing again--just make sure you get your half-priced tickets and don't expect it to sound as powerful as the soundtrack you've probably listened to a hundred times.

2 Thank Rob H