“great hotel, good location”

Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea
Ranked #200 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 25 March 2011

We stayed here with our two young children (ages 5 & 6). The rooms were clean and a pretty good size by New York standards. The location is great - within walking distance to the Empire State Building, and with a subway stop half a block away. The staff was very friendly to all of us, including the kids. We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank MarylandMel

Reviewed 19 March 2011

If you think you've booked a certain type of room, like two double beds in a non-smoking room, and you've called the hotel and reservations twice to confirm your reservation and told that you will indeed have the room that you booked, then think again at this hotel. We checked in tonight, and were sent to the 24th floor, a smoking floor. The rudest front desk clerk that I have ever encountered - and I've traveled extensively - told me that the hotel was sold out, she didn't care that I had allergies, the room that was confirmed by the hotel in my reservation was not available, and hung up the phone. I called HIlton corporate customer service, who in turn called the same person at the hotel, and she was rude to her own corporate office. The only other hotel that I've had similar types of problems in New York with not getting the room that I booked was the Millennium Hilton, so I canceled my Hilton accommodations for my next trip. There are many wonderful hotels in New York that provide good customer service with quality rooms. We checked out, walked across the street to the Fairfield Inn and Suites, and Daniel at the front desk could not have been nicer or more accommodating.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank JennyNewOrleans
Reviewed 14 March 2011

My wife and I spent two great days in this comfortable, no-nonsense hotel. It was our second visit to the HGI Chelsea within 5 months... this time to celebrate my mom's 90th birthday. When we got out of the taxi the bellman said "welcome back!" He recognized my wife and me from our earlier visit. This is just one small indication of what a good job this hotel does of hiring staff. Everyone in the hotel is accommodating, from the front desk to the wait staff in the breakfast room which serves perfectly cooked-to-order omlettes and eggs. The rooms are clean and modern with very comfortable beds. They are a bit tight on space - not unusual in NYC. The location of the hotel is excellent, just a short walk to either the subway or PATH train. There are only a couple of quibbles: While 28th St. has a number of charming plant and floral shops, there are no interesting restaurants within the immediately vicinity. Secondly, the lobby and public spaces in the hotel (with the exception of the sun-lit breakfast room) are on the small side. Still, the place is well run, the rates are fare for NYC, the rooms and bathrooms are modern and the staff cares. What more do you want from a Hilton Garden Inn?

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 March 2011

I loved the hotel.
Great rooms, location and service.
I booked the room at the hotel's web site. Good deal on the pre-paid rooms. Great winter rates. Got a nice room at the 17th floor.
Room with microwave, cofemaker, small frige, great bed.
Close to Empire State, metro lines, Whole Foods. You can walk or metro to any where.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2011

This was my first trip to New York and I had previously booked a double room elsewhere not taking into consideration that my husband and I would fit comfortably on a double size bed. The Hitlon Garden Inn Chelsea offered a comfortable double room with queen beds and private bath within a reasonable price range. The staff was polite, helpful and courteous. All that a hotel staff should be. The rooms were clean as the workout facilities, the business center, the lobby and the hotel entrance. It could use some curb appeal but overall it is a nice hotel. When our small group arrived early, our friends' room were available but not our room. Nonetheless, we left our luggage in their room and by the time we got back from brunch our room was ready. The beds were comfortable and it was pretty quiet at night. The room was smaller than I thought it would be but so is everything else in New York. I'm from Texas where everything is big so my scale is slightly skewed. Overall, it was a good stay.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 March 2011

This hotel was surprisingly pleasant. I stopped in early just to see if I could drop off my luggage, but a room was ready so they checked me right in and gave me several bottles of water. Everyone was smiling and very accommodating. Nice part of Chelsea on a smaller, quiet part of 28th street. Will return!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 March 2011

My wife and I went into Manhattan to see a Broadway play and decided to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn/Chelsea. The hotel was fabulous. The staff was friendly from the moment you pull up to the moment they say good bye. They were extremely knowledgeable of all the attractions/stores in Manhattan. The biggest bonus was you could literally walk to any one of a 100 different places or take a quick cab ride. It was centrally located.

If you stay here don't miss the breakfast buffet. It was excellent. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple