“Not perfectly located, pricy but good service”

Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea
Ranked #200 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 12 April 2011

My stay was OK.
Quality of service was excellent.
I had few specific request and there were properly managed.
I had booked a top floor but was not higher than 6th floor.
The street where the hotel is located is a litlle dodgy at night.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
hgichelsea, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2011

My apologies for you not receiving the high floor you requested. We try very hard to ensure each guest gets the room request and are sorry we were unable to meet your needs.

I'm sorry you felt that our location was non-desirable. Our hotel is located in a safe, residential area along with 2 other hotels on the same block. The businesses that surround us are mainly wholesale companies that do close down early. These factors make the area seem a bit more quiet and darker at night.

Thank you for staying with us, and we hope you will be our guest again in the future. We will do everything we can to ensure all your requests are met.

Reviewed 11 April 2011

We arrived to a very friendly and helpful staff. Everyone that we dealt with the entire weekend had smiles on their faces and were very eager to help. The room was clean and tidy. It was an average sized room for NYC - not tiny but not huge. However, it had two queen sized beds, which were extremely comfortable and afforded a wonderful night's sleep. The bathroom was also clean and appointed as I would expect for this level of a hotel. All in all, it was a very enjoyable and easy stay. I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to stay near midtown, but not in the middle of the hustle and bustle. Being located in the flower district, it was really neat to see all the flower vendors on the street and added a little something extra to the experience. This location was also convenient to Chelsea and the restaurants and nightlife nearby.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
hgichelsea, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2011

Thank you for the great feedback from your recent stay with us. You and every other guest of ours are very important to us. The entire staff works very hard to exceed the expectations of every guest. We agree with you that our location is convenient and beautiful with a variety of flowers lining the streets. Thank you again for choosing the Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea! We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 7 April 2011

We stayed at the HGI Chelsea the first weekend in April. Our list of activities took us to the Upper East Side, Soho, Brooklyn, theater district and to Chelsea with its surrounding neighborhoods. Every stop was easy to get to from our main base at the HGI. The breakfast was a perfect way for us to fuel up for our days of walking and exploring. We slept well in the comfortable beds and there was minimal outside noise. 3 women with suitcases were able to navigate in the room without any issues. It was larger compared to other places we have stayed at in Manhattan such as the Hampton Inn on Chelsea and the Hampton Inn in Soho. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends

Thanks so much for the very nice review of your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea! We are happy to hear our location was convenient for your many adventures. We agree that our rooms are nicely sized in NYC and that our beds are very comfortable. Our full service Great American Grill restaurant makes a great breakfast indeed. Thank you for staying with us! We look forward to seeing you next time you are in New York.

Reviewed 6 April 2011

The concierge told us that taking the shuttle to The World Trade Center would be the same price as a taxi...it wasn't. In fact we took 3 taxis to equal the cost of the 23 dollar shuttle ride. Not happy! Otherwise, the hotel was decent. Location was good, price was reasonable. We enjoyed our stay overall.

• Stayed: April 2011

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay. We take these reviews very seriously and appreciate the positive comment regarding your overall stay and our location!

I am so sorry to hear you were misinformed regarding transportation to the World Trade Center . I'm not sure which shuttle you were referred to, but we only recommend shuttles to the airport if guests are interested in that option. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you so much for staying with us! We hope you will be our guest again in the near future.

Reviewed 5 April 2011

While my preferred property in Manhattan is the HGI on 8th (just due to the fact that I am a huge theater fan), I really like this property and will stay here if I am attending an event at MSG or if the rate is substantially less than the HGI on 8th.

The staff here is great. I hadn't stayed at this property in well over a year, and my plans for thanksgiving day weekend fell through a week before so I decided to go to NYC the friday to Sunday after and this property was reasonably priced for that weekend and I wanted to go shopping and it is only a couple blocks from Macys. Even though it had been well over a year since I had last stayed there (maybe even over 2 years), the front desk clerk remembered I had stayed there before and welcomened me back and said it was good to see me again. I have stayed there since and the staff remembers me.

It is near the 1 subway line and a short walk to the 8th street subway and lots of places to eat. Very convenient to Madison Square Garden if you are attending an event there and near Macys and Herald Square shopping. When I go to NYC I spend my time in Chelsea or the theater district or the west village (both are very easy to get to on the 1 line or if you are up for the walk, it is doable walking as well). I also like how close it is to penn station if I am using EWR as the airport since you can walk a few blocks to Penn and grab the train to EWR. Much easier than grabbing the bus from manhattan.

I also like how there are only a few rooms on each floor.

Only a couple drawbacks. Biggest one is the elevator situation. There are only a couple elevators servicing the building and housekeeping also uses those elevators and the wait time can be long at times, especially if it is during the day and housekeeping is also utilitizing them. While not awful, I am not a big fan of the breakfast either, I like the vouchers they give you at the 8th avenue property a lot better than the buffett.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo

Thank you for the wonderful feedback regarding your recent stay with us! We are so pleased to hear you had a great experience at the Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea. The entire staff works very hard to exceed the expectations of every guest. We are happy that you found our hotel and location very convenient. I apologize for the elevator inconvenience and that you found our breakfast to be different than what you prefer. We hope the positive aspects of your stay will keep you coming back as our guest!

Reviewed 5 April 2011

This is the best hotel in NY. The staff is exceptional. I have stayed there at least 10 times [ in fact going back this week] and have never been disappointed!! Great location - GREAT staff.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
hgichelsea, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2011

Thanks so much for the very nice review of your stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea! You and every other guest of ours are very important to us. The entire staff works very hard to exceed the expectations of every guest. Thank you for making us your hotel of choice, and we look forward to seeing you next time you are in New York!

Reviewed 4 April 2011

I was very impressed with this hotel They gave us a great AAA discount. The staff was beyond friendly, professional and helpful! Our room was clean and comfortable, with a nice size bathroom. We spoke to other family members that stayed in other hotels for our family event and they all complained about how small their rooms were. The location is very close to a lot of the great areas in Manhatten, so we walked everywhere. They serve a good buffet breakfast or there were several good diners in walking distance for much less money. We would definately come again! We found the beds a little hard for us, but that could just be us.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a wonderful review about your stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea! We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and found our location convenient. Our staff does a wonderful job assisting guests and offering personal attention. We agree that our rooms are nicely sized in NYC, and our full service Great American Grill restaurant makes a great breakfast indeed. Thank you again for your kind words, and we hope to see you during your next visit to New York!