“Great Value and Excellent Location”

Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea
Ranked #203 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 13 February 2010

I spent about 6 nights here in November of 2009 and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The front desk welcomed me and my partner at the early hours in the morning (1 AM) with no drama's.

We were lucky to get the discount on the room we got through the Hilton website by opting to pay the full amount for the room at the time of booking, which was a Queen sized on the 17 floor (can't remember which level) with a pretty good view of manhattan.

The Room was well maintained. Free internet was awesome. Front desk very helpful.

Location is the main draw card for this hotel. Red Line subway station at the end of the block which helped us get everywhere promptly.

Would happily stay here again. My first choice accomomdation for Manhattan

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea

Reviewed 7 February 2010

Great location for everything in NYC!!! Great price.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 February 2010

The HGI Chelsea was absolutely fantastic. Although it is classed as a "lower grade" version of the Hilton, HGI Chelsea was just as good as any 5 star hotel. Although it had fewer facilities, the room itself was modern, clean, comfortable and designed like any 5 star hotel. I had two double beds in the room with very comfortable and clean sheets and pillows. The room also had a new LCD TV with over 100 channels, a good wardrobe, ironing, adjustable thermostat. The bathroom was spotless with no broken taps or faucets, and lined with Neutrogena toiletries and hair dryer. Only thing to note was that there were no toothbrushes provided, so make sure to bring one.

I stayed on the 16th floor and heard virtually no noise at all from external environment. Sometimes could hear neighbour's door shutting.

Also, free wifi. Definitely a plus when you're on a budget.

Location was absolutely fantastic. Walk about 1 minute to the end of the street and there is a subway station on the 1 line, one stop away from 34th street shopping of Macy's. I didn't need to use any of the other 3 subway stations located only a short distance away. Time square is only TWO stops away- roughly 3-4 minute subway ride. Really, you will be pressed to find another hotel as close and as affordable.

Although I didn't eat anywhere close to the hotel, there is a McDonalds and Starbu cks at the end of the block (basically, a 2 minute walk). There also is a pharmacy at the entrance to the subway station, along with a T-mobile and Bank of America.

I was out and about till about 9pm, and felt safe walking down the street by myself as a solo female traveller.

I have high standards when it comes to accommodation and the HGI Chelsea met all my needs. Very helpful, courteous staff and manager, impeccable room, great location. All around, highly, highly recommended.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank lisau28
Reviewed 27 January 2010

I have spent a few nights in New York in January and had the chance to experience a few hotels near Penn Station. The Hilton Garden Inn on 28th was the best of the bunch.

The hotel is one of those new tall towers with eight rooms per floor, arranged in a crescent around two elevators. These tower hotels often have cramped rooms. I stayed in a room with a king bed, and then a room with two double beds, and both rooms were large enough that they did not feel cramped. I was able to exercise without hitting the beds or the desk, and the bathrooms were roomy with space for toiletries.

The room was clean and the beds very comfortable. The internet worked and I never had problems with speed. I had a room in the back, away from 28th St. and heard no street noise.

The front desk staff and bell staff were friendly and helpful; the manager was greeting guests one evening: a nice touch. If I have a complaint about the staff it is that the bell staff were too eager to help bring bags up to the room. I carry my bag around the country and can bring it up an elevator! But this was more amusing than annoying. They were very friendly.

I was glad to see them stop a fellow who came into the hotel and went right to the elevators at around 5:30 AM (I was coming back from getting coffee). They asked him for a key, which he did not have, and allowed him to call the room he was going to visit. A nice unexpected security touch.

Compared to the Doubletree on 29th, with cramped rooms and for-a-price internet, this hotel is far and away my choice. There is a Hotel Indigo next door that is almost as nice, but that hotel is kind of quirky and may be an acquired taste. The HGI on 35th St. is larger, and has more elevators so there is less likely to be a problem at peak times getting down to the lobby from the top floor, but since I did not experience any problems with elevator congestion, I can recommend the HGI Chelsea unequivocally.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 January 2010

Certainly not the best position in NYC, but great value for money. It is a lovely, yet simple hotel, has just what you need at the end of a long day as a tourist. We stayed here 2 nights with our 3 year old twins. The staff were really friendly. There was a nice little snack shop to get cereal, frozen meals, chips etc. Would definitely recommend as a slightly cheap alternative in NYC.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 January 2010

Stayed 3 nights 2-5 Jan. All staff v. helpful and amazingly friendly. Desk gave excellent recommendations for local restaurants, 3 of which we tried and enjoyed. Il Campanello restaurant was nearby and good. Room was large with free internet access. Beds comfortable. Room & bathroom clean, plenty of towels and toiletries. Our room was on 19th floor and sometimes we heard a bit of noise from the outside corridor (I think there was a supply room for bedlinen, towels nearby), but it didn't really bother us. We had an interesting view over city. Local area seems a little run-down, but close to all the central areas and subway and we never felt threatened or uneasy, even late at night. We walked everywhere, even up to East 54th. Hotel has cafe where you can get breakfast, but we didn't use it. There is a Mcdonalds on the corner, but instead turn left and go to American Gourmet on 29th, which does food and coffee (gourmet a bit of a misnomer, but cheap and cheerful and cooked to order). Reception booked me on a shuttle back to Newark Airport - $20, which turned up promptly outside the hotel and dropped me right outside departures for my airline - so no lugging cases. We enjoyed our stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank miraclemum
Reviewed 12 January 2010

My boyfriend and I spent Christmas in New York and booked this hotel because of the glowing reviews on TripAdvisor, plus the fact that we got a great deal online.

PRICE: We were very lucky in that we managed to get a discount by using the Hilton booking engine on their website. For a King Room with city views we paid only USD$113/night; with taxes the total was USD$670.20 for five nights over Christmas.

LOCATION: It takes roughly two hours on the airport shuttle from JFK Airport, but the hotel is in a central location. It is in Chelsea (in the flower district) two stops on the subway from Times Square/42nd St. We caught the subway or walked to most places. There are a few eating places nearby and a McDonalds on one corner. The area is safe at night and fairly well-lit. The best thing: it was QUIET. I did not hear any traffic, and I am a light sleeper.

ROOM: We were surprised with the size of the room - it was much bigger than we expected. The bed was very comfortable and large. There was plenty of drawer and wardrobe space (with a foldaway ironing board, iron and coat hangers). There was a workstation where you could plug in your laptop or use the free, high-speed wireless internet. There was a mini-fridge, microwave and tea and coffee-making facilities in the room also. The bathroom was spacious enough with a tub and shower. There were always plenty of clean towels and the cleaning staff did a great job cleaning the room. There were large windows that looked out over the nearby buildings (we were on the 21st floor) with glimpses of the city. The flat-screen TV had free cable.

AMENITIES: The hotel has a 24-hr "convenience store" downstairs that sells microwaveable food and other snacks. There is also a restaurant/bar where the buffet breakfast is every morning (about USD$16 per person). Room service is provided by a nearby restaurant outside the operation hours of the hotel restaurant.

The bathroom products are replaced once used as are the tea and coffee bags in the room.

SERVICE: The staff are what make this place incredible. About a month before I arrived I had some tickets for a Knicks game FedEx'd to the hotel, which they kept aside for me until I arrived. I called a couple of times before arriving to enquire about certain things and every time they were patient and helpful. There was always someone on the desk to greet you as you entered the hotel, or to get the elevator for you. When the mini-fridge in our room wasn't working (it had been switched off) they sent someone up to fix it promptly.

This is one of the best hotels I have stayed at - in terms of rooms, staff and general atmosphere. If I can afford to I would love to stay here again, and I will be recommending it to my family and friends. It made our Christmas in New York a relaxing and enjoyable experience.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple