“Great value in NYC”

Ranked #211 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Miami, Florida
“Great value in NYC”
Reviewed 26 March 2010

I absolutely loved staying here. Nice room for a very nice price in Manhattan. Friendly staff, fresh baked cookies in the afternoon, and everything you need in NYC within walking distance. The rooms are actually fairly big for NYC standards. I highly recommend this hotel--no frills, but just what you need for a very pleasant stay in NYC!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 25 March 2010

I got a rate of $149/night for the stay and felt it was a good deal and wouldn't pay more. Hotel staff were super nice. Free internet and you can print a boarding pass in the 24/7 Business Center.

I was placed in a room near the ice machine behind the elevators. It's next door to the housekeeping storage closet so the small amount of noise from this area was reasonable. I'd rather not share a wall with a guest anyways.

I noticed the vents allowed smells to sneak in. I woke one day to the smell of paint fumes; turned on the air/fans in both main room and bathroom and it went away. Smelled microwaved frozen dinner another night but the vent in the bathroom seemed to work okay when I turned on the fan. I definitely think there was construction going on in the hotel rooms below me around midday during the week.

Sometimes housekeeping would turn on the heat in the room and leave it on and I'd come back to it being 90 degrees. I don't know why they'd do this. I noticed that they didn't wash the floor in the bathroom because the same ring stain was on the floor from a previous guest for the entire time I was there. They didn't change the sheets until I left the card on the bed. They are supposed to change them every third day but I saw the same hole in the fitted sheet after the third day and thought it best they change the bed.

The cable TV is amazing because it has several hundred channels and free On Demand TV in addition to Pay Per View. I got to watch the shows I needed to keep up with while I was at the hotel.

The pantry is affordable without a high mark-up. $1 for bottled spring water is usually unheard of in most hotel stores.

The hotel is conveniently located within walking distance to the 1, N-R-W, 6, F-V trains. I walked back and forth from Macy's and walked to the NY Airport Shuttle on W. 33rd & 7th Ave. Walked to Whole Foods and to the Highline. If you're a walker, this is a good location to get to Chelsea, Penn Station, Madison Square Garden, and the Flatiron Districts.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
Ireland
Reviewed 21 March 2010

Stayed 6 days at this hotel during St Patricks week,first time in N.Y.the staff overall were very friendly.Front desk staff very polite, getting directions or advice was no problem.Rooms were very comfortable,had a problem with tv ,rang reception and someone was up very quickly,it couldnt be fixed so an alternative room was offered right away.Hotel very close to subway and within walking distance to Times Sq,Empire st bld,only bad point ,the bar , lobby area a bit small .Definitely go back to N.Y.definitely go back to HiltonGarden Inn.

Thomas.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Salt Lake City, UT
Reviewed 18 March 2010

I travel to New York frequently that I am very familiar with the city so I don't find it necessary to book a hotel that is in the heart of Times Square. I tend to look mainly for good values. This was my first time staying at the Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea. It is a very clean hotel that looks like it is fairly new from the exterior and interior. The front desk, security and bell hops were all very polite and professional. The room is quiet and I didn't hear my neighbor through the walls or under the door like you do in so many of the older Manhattan hotels.

The biggest concern I would have recommending this hotel to most people is that it is a bit off the beaten path. If you were to look at every other building around the street you would never ever guess there would be a nice hotel on this street. It isn't necessarily an unsafe street, it is just one that has a bit of industrial feel to it, especially so in the evening when all the business have slid down their metal doors across the glass fronts. For Manhattan standards, it isn't close to any restaurants or shops (not that you would have to walk far to find something.)

The only other complaints I have were that the drain in the tub was slow so I was standing in a couple of inches of water as a I showered. Not the worst thing, but this clearly didn't match the expectation of the everything else about the hotel. Also, I don't think the thermostat worked. I was a bit cold and wanted to warm the room up. I had it set for 77 degrees and there was no way it ever got above 68'ish. (I didn't really want to have it at 77 degrees, I just figured that cranking it up was the only way to tell if it was working on not.)

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 18 March 2010

Spent 4 nights at the Hilton Garden Inn – Chelsea mid February. The hotel is well located on a quiet street with a subway station at the end of the street and a short walk from other lines. It’s also a short walk from Times Square and all the delights that Chelsea has to offer. The rooms were a good size for New York, we had booked a king room with city views and while the view wasn’t terribly inspiring, the room was a great size with plenty of room for a ski bag as well as 2 suitcases. Drawers, cupboard and a desk proved useful, as was the free wi-fi. The bathroom was small but functional and most importantly everything was clean. There is also a fridge which we didn’t use but is handy to have in a hotel room. My only complaint was that on the Saturday night we had some noisy neighbours that arrived back in the wee hours of the morning with little respect for other sleeping guests, however this was not the fault of the hotel.

While a generic hotel with a bland interior, we didn’t go to New York to stay in a hotel room so we were very happy with everything that the Hilton Garden Inn had to offer. Reception staff were always friendly and professional and also assisted in booking a car to JFK when we needed it at a very competitive rate for a private car. Taxi’s are obviously cheaper but with the amount of luggage we had was not practical. We enjoyed our stay, and there are some great places to eat and drink nearby if you know where to look!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
Sydney
Reviewed 17 March 2010

Stayed here for 6 nights in december over xmas...can't fault this hotel at all. The staff are lovely, and the rooms are superb. Location is excellent with a subway stop just a couple of doors away. The area is also nice and quiet and we never felt unsafe. Free internet and printing ang gym was really nice, and the breakfast is definitely worth the money if you want to fork out the 16 bux. Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
World
Reviewed 12 March 2010

The hotel is beautiful even though it is small. I loved the wall fountain at the lobby. The staffs at the Front desk were very friendly as they always said Hi and smiled to us when we walked by. The room is small ( well, it is New York so, of course. :) ) but very trendy. I loved the fact that they used Neutrogena's products for the amenities. The towels are so soft and the bed is very comfy.
We went there around Christmas's season so the street was quite noisy in the morning because of the vendors but actually we loved the busy of it. The hotel located two block from the sub way station so it is very convenient to get to anywhere. It is also close to 5th Avenue which we used to walk there in the morning instead of taking subway. It would take you about 20 - 30 minutes but it was fun!
We will come back to stay again for sure when we get a good deal. :)

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business