“Nice Hotel and a great bargain”

Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea
Ranked #211 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Reston
“Nice Hotel and a great bargain”
Reviewed 1 April 2010

We stayed here for just 1 night but for the $165 rate in Manhatten, this was a great bargain. The front desk staff were very polite and helpful with any questions I had. The hotel is located in the flower district and was in walking distance to Macy's at Herald Square. The room had 2 queen beds and a flat screen tv. Everything about the hotel was clean. We were on the 7th floor, on the street side, and had no issues with noise. I would easily stay there again. Free internet access was a little spotty at times.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
florianopolis
Reviewed 28 March 2010

It is a small hotel in a flower street . The staff is very helpful and kind.They are always ready to please you. It is surprising. The paid breakfast is very good with a big variety of food. You don't need to have lunch only dinner. The room is clean and comfortable. It could be bigger but it is NYC. There is free internet at the lobby and the subway is on the corner line A and one block the other one.I forgot how many times I went to NYC but this hotel is a real find. I will stay there again and again.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 27 March 2010

I stayed at this hotel when I went to the US to attend my sister's wedding in November 2009.

We selected this hotel because it was one of the Hilton hotels and the location was fantastic. We stayed there for 2 nights.

The room was very clean although it was a bit on a small side, which was something you would expect anyway in the middle of NY.

However, there was a disappointment in the evening when we wanted to have a shower: there was no hot water and we had to run the tap for about 20mins!!

It wasn't very late, around 9pm. The same thing happened in the morning at around 6.30am, and the next day as well...

Furthermore, towards the end of the shower the water was cold again, and my mum had to wait until the hot water came back!

The bath tab was tiny!! I mean, I'm only 5'2"(156cm) tall and less than 8st (110lb / 50kg), but there was no room for me to move. It didn't have much depth, was very narrow and my short legs even touched the end of the bath tab when I sat in it!!

Also, when we got to the hotel and were waiting at the lobby until our rooms were ready, we over-heard a group of women complaining to a manager about a theft in their room: one of the women had their purse stolen!

After hearing that, we locked everything in the suitcase when we went out!
I have just read some of the reviews and found another person who said his laptop was also stolen from his room a few years ago.

I will not be going back to this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank UK-Kit
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 26 March 2010

I absolutely loved staying here. Nice room for a very nice price in Manhattan. Friendly staff, fresh baked cookies in the afternoon, and everything you need in NYC within walking distance. The rooms are actually fairly big for NYC standards. I highly recommend this hotel--no frills, but just what you need for a very pleasant stay in NYC!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 25 March 2010

I got a rate of $149/night for the stay and felt it was a good deal and wouldn't pay more. Hotel staff were super nice. Free internet and you can print a boarding pass in the 24/7 Business Center.

I was placed in a room near the ice machine behind the elevators. It's next door to the housekeeping storage closet so the small amount of noise from this area was reasonable. I'd rather not share a wall with a guest anyways.

I noticed the vents allowed smells to sneak in. I woke one day to the smell of paint fumes; turned on the air/fans in both main room and bathroom and it went away. Smelled microwaved frozen dinner another night but the vent in the bathroom seemed to work okay when I turned on the fan. I definitely think there was construction going on in the hotel rooms below me around midday during the week.

Sometimes housekeeping would turn on the heat in the room and leave it on and I'd come back to it being 90 degrees. I don't know why they'd do this. I noticed that they didn't wash the floor in the bathroom because the same ring stain was on the floor from a previous guest for the entire time I was there. They didn't change the sheets until I left the card on the bed. They are supposed to change them every third day but I saw the same hole in the fitted sheet after the third day and thought it best they change the bed.

The cable TV is amazing because it has several hundred channels and free On Demand TV in addition to Pay Per View. I got to watch the shows I needed to keep up with while I was at the hotel.

The pantry is affordable without a high mark-up. $1 for bottled spring water is usually unheard of in most hotel stores.

The hotel is conveniently located within walking distance to the 1, N-R-W, 6, F-V trains. I walked back and forth from Macy's and walked to the NY Airport Shuttle on W. 33rd & 7th Ave. Walked to Whole Foods and to the Highline. If you're a walker, this is a good location to get to Chelsea, Penn Station, Madison Square Garden, and the Flatiron Districts.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
Ireland
Reviewed 21 March 2010

Stayed 6 days at this hotel during St Patricks week,first time in N.Y.the staff overall were very friendly.Front desk staff very polite, getting directions or advice was no problem.Rooms were very comfortable,had a problem with tv ,rang reception and someone was up very quickly,it couldnt be fixed so an alternative room was offered right away.Hotel very close to subway and within walking distance to Times Sq,Empire st bld,only bad point ,the bar , lobby area a bit small .Definitely go back to N.Y.definitely go back to HiltonGarden Inn.

Thomas.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Salt Lake City, UT
Reviewed 18 March 2010

I travel to New York frequently that I am very familiar with the city so I don't find it necessary to book a hotel that is in the heart of Times Square. I tend to look mainly for good values. This was my first time staying at the Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea. It is a very clean hotel that looks like it is fairly new from the exterior and interior. The front desk, security and bell hops were all very polite and professional. The room is quiet and I didn't hear my neighbor through the walls or under the door like you do in so many of the older Manhattan hotels.

The biggest concern I would have recommending this hotel to most people is that it is a bit off the beaten path. If you were to look at every other building around the street you would never ever guess there would be a nice hotel on this street. It isn't necessarily an unsafe street, it is just one that has a bit of industrial feel to it, especially so in the evening when all the business have slid down their metal doors across the glass fronts. For Manhattan standards, it isn't close to any restaurants or shops (not that you would have to walk far to find something.)

The only other complaints I have were that the drain in the tub was slow so I was standing in a couple of inches of water as a I showered. Not the worst thing, but this clearly didn't match the expectation of the everything else about the hotel. Also, I don't think the thermostat worked. I was a bit cold and wanted to warm the room up. I had it set for 77 degrees and there was no way it ever got above 68'ish. (I didn't really want to have it at 77 degrees, I just figured that cranking it up was the only way to tell if it was working on not.)

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business