Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea
Ranked #218 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Bergen, Norway
“Good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2011

Our room was clean, the beds were comfy, and we were not bothered by any street noise.
The hotel is in a good loaction, and abt 5 min walk to Heralds Square , Empire State Building etc. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to my friends. We got a very good deal on this hotel from expedia, and should we get a similar deal in the future I would be sure to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2011

Very clean and beautiful hotel. Staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome from the time we checked in until the moment we left! Very good breakfast, nice gym, and extremely helpful and nice front desk :) Will be back soon!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2011

A very polite staff and understanding manager when my wife and I were stranded due to the blizzard. We would recommend this place and will stay when next in NYC.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2011

Great location, close to subway station. Quiet location but felt safe, walked home around 9pm with our 7 and 10 year old girls. The room and hotel were in great condition and breakfast was the best we had on our trip. The only fault was that we were double charged and also had a hold on our credit card for the amount of our entire stay. It was very hard to contact the manager as we did not realise until after we had left NY. We were half way into our holiday and this was the rest of our spending money. After three phone calls from the other side of the country I finally got in contact with the manager. He proceeded to tell me that I did not understand that there was a hold on my credit card and that the money would go back onto my credit card in a weeks time. After the manager checked the computer he realised that I had also been charged twice for my stay and was now over $3000 out of pocket. After he told me I needed a higher credit card limit to cover such mistakes he did apoIogise. I then had to call Australia to arrange the money to be returned to my Australian Credit card the call cost me around $45. I left hotel contact numbers and my email address with the Manager and asked him to contact me when he had transfered the money, I never received any further contact from the Manager or Hilton and my money was back in the account 10 days after we checked out which was the last day of our stay in the USA. I decided to write this to let others know. It ended up costing me extra money in buying more US currency to cover or spending money and over $50 in phone calls.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank AussieManda-10
hgichelsea, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea, responded to this review, 25 January 2011
Dear AussieManda -10:

I’m very happy to hear that you enjoyed our hotel and breakfast while on your holiday. At the same time, I’m sorry that a few issues got in the way. While sometimes we encounter computer glitches, there is no reason for being double charged for your stay. The professionalism of our staff is very important to us; we will investigate this matter and ensure that something like this does not happen to another of our guest. I would like to learn more about your visit. Please feel free to contact me via e-mail at silvio.zinnanti@hilton.com

Thank you for your comment and hope to hear from you soon in the near future.

Silvio Zinnanti
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2011

The Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea is a decent place in a good location for most of the places that you would want to go in NYC. Macys and the Empire State Building are a 5 minute walk away, and you can get to Rockefeller Center and Times Square with a 15 minute walk, or a quick subway ride. Union Square, Soho, Chelsea and the East Village are equally as easy to get to. The few blocks around the hotel don't have that many restaurants or nightlife, but there are a few places around that are laid back just east of the hotel. The hotel is in the middle of a street with wholesale flower shops, which is an interesting place to walk in the morning, but shut down later in the day. The street is reasonably safe, but a little on the dark side. There's also a bit of construction going on on the outside of the hotel at the moment.

The rooms are a decent size for NYC, actually enough room to walk around in. The walls are a bit thin, as we heard the couple next door to us, and a cranky 2 year old down the hall.

We had the breakfast as part of our room rate, which was standard breakfast buffet fare, and they have kitchen staff there to make you an omlette or a fresh cooked waffle. We didn't like the coffee, but otherwise everything was OK.

Don't try to drive a car here, since parking is difficult, and the street is very narrow. Use taxis or public transportation if you can. We left our bags at the front desk for the day after we checked out, and it was no problem retrieving them and getting to Penn Station for the train ride back to JFK.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
The ATL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2011

Very close to subways (1/2 block to #1 train and 1 block to N,R,W trains). Quiet and safe neighborhood dominated by flower shops and Chinese imported goods shops. Numerous coffee shops/drug stores nearby, along with some restaurant choices (including a great $1/slice pizza shop at 6th and 25th). Less than 10 minute walk to Madison Square Garden/Penn Station. Free internet (wireless and wired) and a restaurant (breakfast) on premises with a small bar should you like to have a casual drink.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
hgichelsea, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea, responded to this review, 18 January 2011
Thank you for the great review. Our staff work tirerlessly to ensure yourstay is perfect and any expectation is always exceeded. We look forward to your return to New York and your stay at HGI Chelsea
Uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2011

I stayed with two friends just after Christmas. We got a good deal through Ebookers (£300 for 2 nights) considering it is NYC.

The location is great, it was actually nearer to mid town than we had expected. Macys is only 6 blocks away and took about 5 mins to walk so we could do some late night shopping and still walk back to the hotel safely. The room itself was small, two double beds and a bit of space to walk round them, but they were comfortable. Our view was ok, it looked out to other buildings but we couldn't see anything of the street. The room had a microwave and a TV as well as a decent bathroom. Everything seemed clean.

In terms of staff we dealt with one young lady on the front desk and she was extremely polite and helpful. The hotel has a restaurant (which we didn't try) and also a small store where you can buy water and other drinks, plus many different food and snack items. Handy if you need to grab a quick bite.

If you get a good deal, this is a great hotel to use as a base for shopping and sightseeing. Highly recommended!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends