Broadway Hotel and Hostel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Marrakech Hotel(New York City)
View Hotel
Broadway Tower(New York City)
View Hotel
Royal Park Hotel(New York City)
View Hotel
Hotel Newton(New York City)
  • Free Internet
Morningside Inn(New York City)
  • Free Internet
The Grant Hotel(New York City)
View Hotel
Astor on the Park(New York City)
View Hotel
Belnord Hotel(New York City)
1,228 results
All reviewssubway stationcentral parknew yorkupper west sidelounge areacleaned every daybagelstwo double bedstimes squarefew blockslocation is greatvisit nycsinkbroadwaymanhattanensuitecomputers
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 August 2013

So NY is very expensive for accommodation. Step up broadway hotel and hostel. Pros of this place include:
pretty good location, short subway ride to major attractions Times Square etc, 10 minutes walk to central park, plenty of shops bars and restaurants near hotel, fridge and kitchen available to use in common area, cheap!

Cons: lift is extremely slow, staff are a mix of friendly but unprofessional - quite often the male staff seemed to be 'hanging' with the young ones which is irritating when you're waiting to be seen at the desk, rooms are noisy and a tad shabby ( although I wouldn't have expected different for the price), air con works but is very noisy so didn't use at night thus room was very hot, wifi was not great in common area but may have been due to the volume of ppl crammed in there trying to use it!

All in all this place was fine, and good for a base to explore NY. Expect it to be a tad tough and ready as you're getting it cheap for NY and you'll be fine. I thought it was mostly good just a few minor gripes that would happen anywhere. Last point to make is that whilst I am sure the hotel style rooms are lovely, the rest of the place definitely has a hostel feel. So if you're booking a hotel room and expecting the rest of the place to feel like a hotel, don't. You're going to get noisy corridors and teenagers drinking in the common room, and a crappy lift!

Enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor to avoid traffic noise. And if you're unashamed bathroom situation check all the bathroomson the corridor as on my floor one bathroom was nicely renovated!!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank thaibanana
Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

I stayed in a 2 bed dorm for 9 nights.
Linen and towel are changed every day, the shared bathrooms are clean and plenty.
The staff was always very helpful and friendly.
A good hostel!
No washing machine, but a laundromat just around the corner.
No bar, but grocerie stores just across the street.
Subway is close and you get everywhere, fast.
Walking is also possible (i did most of the times). It takes about an hour to get to times square.

1  Thank Sap03
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Stayed there a week in July/August 2012.

Me and my family were looking for a nice, not too expensive place to stay in NYC, which is practically impossible. Since I had stayed at the HI Hostel (nearby) before, I figured I might as well stay at the Upper West Side again. I'm glad I did.

The hostel is at 101st Street, and there is a Subway station at 103rd, which made it easy to move around - it took us maybe 15 minutes by subway to go downtown). The best thing to me about staying away from the buzz at Times Square is that you actually feel like you "live" in NYC.
We ate in the local restaurants (great vegetarian pizza place a couple blocks away, and the bagel place across the street was nice and cheap, had breakfast there every single day), went to the grocery stores, and even got to see Peter Jacobson (Dr. Taub on House M.D) twice, as he was walking his dog. It was pretty cool.

Regarding our room, we booked a 4-people private room, with two double beds, and a shared bathroom. The room is on the small side, but there's a TV, a sink, and it is cleaned daily. The room was quiet, and the AC worked fine. We stayed in the 5th floor, and the one thing that irritated us was the ridiculously slow and tiny elevator, which annoyed us to a point we mostly used the stairs. The bathroom was always clean, and never had to wait to use it at all.

Didn't really make use of the kitchen or the internet, or any of the common areas in general.

All in all, I think it is a good choice for people who are looking for a place to shower and crash, and don't mind riding the subway to get to the "main attractions". No luxuries, no breakfast, no fancy stuff, and the elevator truly sucks, but clean, quiet and comfortable.

Would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank MarinaBordin
Reviewed 27 July 2013

After a long flight and trouble with my first hotel that canceled my reservation just like that, I found Broadway hotel and hostel, I arrived there it was just two blocks from the subway on 103 and the staff was so friendly and helpful, the room was a two beds shared bathroom, it was large room with a locker, a very clean room, the bathroom was very clean. In general it was a lovely experience and if I'm ever in Newyork again I would defiantly go back to this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We have never been treated so rudely and disrespectfully until staying at this hostel. We booked 4 nights in a twin (bunk bed) private room as one booking for two people, paid the 10% for this and then paid in full for the 4 nights upfront when we arrived. We went to our room and thought everything would be fine. On the second evening after a lovely day out in New York City, we came back to our room to find an urgent note telling us to go to reception. More worryingly, there was a new backpack in our room and someone had used the towel/bed. We were shocked and confused so went down to reception to be greeted by the rudest, most unpleasant receptionist who simply dismissed us and told us that we knew what we had done and that we would now be sharing our twin room with a third person. It took some time in questioning her before she then went on to rudely state that one of us (me) had only paid for the first night and was supposed to have checked out that morning but was trying to trick the hotel and stay with my partner in the room, thinking they wouldn’t notice. She then refused to believe that this was not the case and simply walked away.

First, I would like to say that when a couple book and pay for a room together on Hostelbookers, you CANNOT specify two separate checkout dates to try and “cheat the system”. She was not willing to listen and was barely interested when we showed her our 10% payment for 4 nights and our payment in FULL for 4 nights! She then reluctantly checked the system (for ages) and said oh yes you seem to have paid and the system made a mistake... We barely received any apology as if being called liars and having a third person enter our room (with all our belongings in) was no big deal. She was not even willing to consider the idea that there had been a mistake and look into this until we provided solid proof and begged her to check. What’s more, the poor guy who had been deliberately put into our room was told he now had to move and he seemed very confused. This also means that there were plenty of other beds available without having to resort to putting him in our room which shows that this was deliberate. A decent hotel would have discussed the issue with us or even checked the system to see if there had been a mistake before simply kicking one of us out and putting another person in the room to make a point! The customer service was beyond belief.

The location was also miles away from any of the sights apart from Central Park so you have to get the metro or walk for over an hour. The showers were just a trickle and the staff were constantly hoovering and sweeping the kitchen area when you are trying to cook and eat which was unpleasant.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple