“Cheap basic good location”

Broadway Hotel and Hostel
Province of Guipuzcoa, Spain
“Cheap basic good location”
Reviewed 28 November 2013

We stayed for four days in November and the message is clear:if you want to spend ridicolous money, pay for an hotel, otherwise this place suited us perfectly.

It's well located, plenty of cheaper options for eating than in tourist areas, there are obviously some points that could improve but again, it is a cheap place in Manhattan

Would we go back?definitely yes

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Borås, Västra Götaland, Sweden
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I chose it because it is close to a Subway station in the area of New York I wanted to be in. Nice rooms and clean. Hostel is very suitable for young travelers who want to explore the city. Hotel is open 24 hours, which is great if you want to stay out. It was basic, but suitable for my needs and would go back there.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2013

My friends and I visited this hostel in a trip to New York. We stayed in the dormitory style rooms, and I have to say they were quite dirty. Not only are the rooms terribly old but my friend and I discovered a cockroach having a wander around our room. We were on the top floor, and the communal bathroom had some weird black gunge at the bottom of the shower that didn't disappear over the five days we stayed there! Although they changed the bedding every day, there were still hairs in most of the bedding.
I don't expect five stars from a hostel, but I'd like it to be clean.

The breakfast was OK; you could have bagels or muffins or porridge and juice and hot drinks (tea and coffee) and the staff were helpful and efficient when faced with any questions. Everything worked as far as I can tell, except there wasn't wifi in the rooms.

Room Tip: Room 232 is way too small. Avoid it. Advisable to stay in rooms other than the dormitory style.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 21 November 2013

If you`re gonna stay here I would highly recommend the private room. It`s equipped with comfy beds, sink and a flatscreen. Bathrooms are clean and apparently always available, on the downside the WiFi only works in the lobby/lounge. The lounge area is nice with some sofas ,tv`s, computers and a kitchen for whoever wants to use it. The front desk offers shuttles to all major airports for about $15/person even at ungodly hours.
Nothing special about the place except the really good price for Manhattan.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2013

This isn't bad. I've stayed in better hostels for cheaper prices - in the U.S. But this is Manhattan and this hotel's a good option for those who are budget conscious. There's free wifi in the communal areas, as well as a fridge, sofas, films, free popcorn and even an electric kettle. No wifi in the rooms. We got bumped to another, rather depressing hotel on the first night as they'd overbooked (the royal park). They did offer us a discount, but only 5% which I thought I should have challenged.

The cleaning is fine. The rooms are a bit old looking, and it'd be nice to have fresher, fluffier towels (ours were clean - just old). Quite spacious for the price. It was a bit too hot at night, but given that I went in November, better than being too cold....

The location is pretty good. It's very near to a subway, and there is a *fab* supermarket down the road. I also really liked Lenny's Bagels for breakfast! Staff are quite helpful and made some useful recommendations . There's not a lot of social stuff going on - a pub crawl was advertised and there's the film room.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Brisbane
Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

My wife and I and 2 young kids stayed here for five nights in the twin double bed room with ensuite. The room 313 was surprisingly spacious on the corner of the building. Nice view out over broadway. The ensuite was tiny but functional. We had no issues with running out of hot water. The heating was fine and the window blinds kept the light and noise out pretty well. Bed linen and towels were fresh daily and the room was clean. Old and tired, but clean.

The location is good. Subways are at 103 and 96 streets close by and plenty of food options nearby. Cheesy pizza over the road and plenty of bagel places etc.

As far as negatives go, the beds are horrible. We tried both to be sure and both are saggy and you ended up in the middle curved up like a banana. Neither of us got a decent sleep and I've got a sore back now.

There's no wifi in the rooms which sucks big time. The common room and kitchen is the only place to get wifi and that area is usually packed with desperate guests trying to book and plan and communicate.

If this hotel was anywhere else other than Manhattan I'd be giving it 2 stars. Considering where it is and that is reasonably cheap ill give it 3 stars.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

My partner and I stayed here at the beginning of September, it was our first stay in New York and we couldn't have picked a better place to stay. The staff were lovely throughout our stay and were very approachable if we had any problems. We rented a private room with an en suite, compared to other places we were looking at this was the best value; the room was clean and perfect for a good nights sleep, along with a wide screen TV. The communal area was lovely and there were plenty of places to sit even when crowded. The subway is very close at hand and a free map is available from reception. Overall the stay was very good however there were some cons. Since we where from overseas I had to use the computers to stay in contact with family and a majority of the time they weren't working. Also the bed in our room was extremely squeaky and as much as we appreciated the room service (always a nice extra!) the towels had definitely seen better days. Altogether we would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to anyone going to New York!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple