“great time in New York”

Broadway Hotel and Hostel
Chicago, Illinois
“great time in New York”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Was just at the Broadway hostel may 17th & 18th. Was looking for a cheap crash & shower in the Big apple. when i called with some questions a young man named Alex answered all my questions enthusiastically and with confidence. I was sold on the place. Upon my arrival i was greeted by Maggie , who although was quite busy promptly and with a smile took care of me. It was obvious both these people enjoyed and were good at their jobs. They continued to show me professionalism and kindness during my stay. as far as the place is concerned it was just what I was looking for room was clean and the bed was fine, bathroom was the same. Great local, right by the train and walked to central park. Just what the Dr. ordered. can't forget Harley another good helpful staff member. Thanks guys I'll be back . South side Ronnie J.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 16 May 2014

The rooms were good, I lived in a 2-bed female dormitory. Very friendly staff, ready to help)) they got maps at the reception so i didnt have to find and buy one. I would recommend it to my friends to save some budget and stay cozy.

• Stayed May 2014
Price, Utah
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Based on some reviews and the movie hostel, I had some preconceived notions about this hotel, but it was in my desired location and price range. I had never stayed in a hostel before and didn't know what to expect.
I was pleasantly surprised!
The staff was terrific. The lobby and entrance was beautiful.
The room had a great view with beautiful decor.
Having the shared bathroom wasn't as odd as I thought. They had enough that I was never waiting for one and they're modernized and lovely. The towels provided were softer than a lot of hotels I've stayed at.
Negatives: the bed wasn't fantastic but sleep able. Same with the pillows.
It's hard to prepare for how loud New York is, but the windows seemed especially thin, so bring earplugs.

All on all, on our return, we will definitely stay here.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Megan A
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 8 May 2014

My friend and I spent a week here. We were on the 2nd floor and the wifi was never a problem. Friendly and helpful staff, helped me sort out where my missing luggage was, bought anew can opener when I discovered it broken, always smiling and willing to chat Burk bed rooms cleaned well. some of the facilities needed abit of work, i.e the toilets. But I loved it here.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for. The closer to the ground, the better the wifi
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank dcuf146
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Stayed here in december 2013, basic hostel and hotel but has everything you require for a stay in new york, excellent for travellers and cheap! Staff very friendly and helpful, easy to get to from the underground. Free Wifi downstairs in lobby and has very chilled out and relaxed atmosphere with films on. Also facilities to make some food if need though i didn't use these.
With Broadway you get what you pay for, would recommend and return if i was ever to return to new york

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Flyonthewingsoflove
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I stayed here for 10 nights in a private room. I was lucky enough to have wifi in my room on the second floor, which apparently seems like a bonus based on the other reviews!
When I arrived, my sheets had stains on one side, and they didn't change them at all in my time (changed the towels and made the bed) until I left a note asking them to.
The staff were really friendly on check-in, but the last few days there was a doorman who was quite rude. He seemed like he'd been having a bad couple of days, which he must have felt the need to take out on the guests. On the last day I was there I checked out around 10ish (check-out isn't until 11 though) but my flight wasn't until 9pm, so I asked the guy at the front desk if they'd watch my bag, for a $2 fee, it was fine, so I tagged up my bag and left it where the guy said and went on my merry way. The rude doorman chased me down the street, clapping and carrying on like a mad man, to say, "you can't just leave you bag there, you have to check them in", to which I replied, "I have, my bag and coat have tags on them" He then didn't apologise, or even say "oh good", he just mumbled under his breath and turned to walk away.
Overall, the room was okay, pretty good location, and not overly expensive.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Liziles23
Vivita B, Front Office Manager at Broadway Hotel and Hostel, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Thank you so much for staying with us and for sharing your experience. We go to our reviews for guidance on how we can make improvements. I truly apologize if our staff was anything but helpful and polite, and our housekeeping staff is currently working to refresh their inventory. Thank you again for your review, and we hope that you had an enjoyable visit to NYC.
Mornington, Australia
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed 3 nights here and could really take it or leave it. Staff weren't all that friendly unless you were an overly attractive leggy female, in which case the young door guy would stare creepily. The lift is mega old and slow, a bit hard opening the old doors while trying to drag out and giant bag or case (no one offered to help, also while dragging my case up the stairs). Room was basic, I had a corner room which was pretty roomy and spacious. There is no WiFi in rooms, only in the foyer and common areas downstairs (apparently, I could hardly ever get WiFi at any time). This place is not bad if you're just passing through for a night or two but I probably wouldn't recommend it for any longer, especially if your only way of contacting friends and family and finding you way around is with WiFi.

• Stayed April 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. We are currently working to update our wifi, and hope to have the building fully wifi accessible soon. We do our best to provide quality service and comfortable accommodation at an affordable price, and we apologize if we did not meet your standards. We hope the you still had a lovely time in New York City.