“Appearances are deceiving”

Broadway Hotel and Hostel
Reviewed 1 March 2009

The location of this hostel/hotel was good, and easy to find. Also the linens and towels in the rooms were changed daily which was great.
I was made to wait when I checked in as the reception staff were having a personal conversation, and despite seeing me waiting, did not put their customer first. I found this odd especially as Americans are renowned for their supposedly excellent customer service.
The door on my room was broken, the door handle actually fell off every time someone touched it. I reported this to reception and was assured it would be dealt with immediately, however it was still broken when I left. There are no lockers either in the rooms or anywhere else so the fact that the door was broken was a big security issue for me. Not entirely sure why they have people on the door when they don't help with luggage, open doors, or check IDs of guests.
When booking on the Hostelworld website, it clearly states that every guest will receive "complimentary amenities upon Check-In for all guests including brand name products - Razors, Tooth Brushes And Paste And Feminine Products". This is stated on other booking sites also. I didn't receive this, and while it's not a deciding factor as to whether to book here or not, if it is stated then it should obviously be supplied. If they were not available then this should hae been explained.
There were only 3 shared bathrooms on my floor, I never found it to be a problem for queues but could see how it might be. The shower I used was incredible and impressive, a huge shower fitted to the ceiling so the water fell like a waterfall. The lobby area was always crowded but visually very elegant. I didn't expect the photos on the website to match to what was actually there, but the lobby and common room area photos were accurate, it's a shame the actual reality of staying here (and not just for me judging by the rest of these reviews) couldn't live up to the initial appearance of the place.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Broadway Hotel and Hostel

Reviewed 16 January 2009

Ok, Firstly I would like to point out i'm not fussy when it comes to accomodation being a student and all that. We were travelling in a group of Three and the Two other girls had reservations about staying in a hostel. After much persuasion we booked the Broadway hostel for three nights.

1.We booked out a 4 bed dormitory and paid for an extra person in order to have a bit of privacy.
2 Upon arrival we checked in the receptionist was quite busy but really nice.However the lift was broken and we had to haul suitcases up a tiny staircase which was hell especially if you were on the top floor, plus we had luggage for a Four month stay in America. Noone even bothered asking if we wanted help and actually complained because we carried the suitcases up the stairs and therefore took over the staircase.
3. upon entering the room there was a male in our room even though we had paid for the room for 4 people.
4. The showers were freezing but sure I hopped in anyway.

Overall the security team is great, really nice and so helpful and you felt safe that they were there all night. The housekeepers are fantastic! The above would be expected when the room rates WERE as cheap as $18 however I have just looked up the prices and see that they have changed and are very expensive now so in my opinion they should drop there prices as they are ridiculously overpriced.We never complained about our stay! The one thing I feel strongly about is false advertisment as the room that is advertised in the picture is not what you get AT ALL!
I wonder if this room actually exists!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Broadwaymgt, Supervisor at Broadway Hotel and Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2009

Here at the Broadway Hotel and Hostel we try our best to accommodate every guest in the best possible way. We want each guest to feel happy and content with their stay at our facility. We are constantly updating and renovating the rooms in our hostel to make sure they are up to par. Unfortunately, the renovation process is one that does take time and while we do have some rooms that may not be as nice as what is pictured on our website we are working on making sure that every single room is given a complete overhaul.

Reviewed 14 January 2009

I was amazed at how cheap the place was - approx. $18 a night for a four-bed dormitory room. However, I soon realized why it was so cheap after my first night there.

The showers were always cold, and the room temperature was unstable. My first few nights were freezing cold, and my last night was extremely hot. The pictures are very deceiving. The walls are thin, so you can hear everything going on outside - including toilets flushing from down the hall.

On their Web site, their security policy says that they check the IDs of everyone that comes through the door. This is absolutely false, and it is why someone who wasn't even staying at the hostel was able to follow me to my room and showed up there the next night. I checked out a week and a half early because I was so fed up with my stay.

On the plus side, the staff was very nice and understanding. The movies in the lobby were cool (although a little loud) and it was nice that they had a little kitchenette in the lobby.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

At The Broadway Hotel and Hostel we want to make sure that all of the amenities we offer are readily available and properly functioning. We take our job as hospitality providers very seriously. However, sometimes situations arise that are unfortunately, inconvenient for the guests here at our facility. During high volume weeks there maybe one or two situations (i.e. hot water shortages or difficult wifi) which is a direct result of high volume. When these situations arise we immediately send our maintenance staff to solve the problem of hot water on a case by case basis. We want to make sure that everyone was a nice hot shower to welcome them home. Whenever a high volume of guests are logged onto the wifi system other guest may experience a slower connection or difficulty logging on but we gladly offer our desktop computers, which are plugged into LAN cables with very high speed internet connections.

Reviewed 9 December 2008

We are writing this review mainly because when we were trying to find out info about this hotel we could only find reviews for the hostel part.
We found this hotel/hostel absolutely perfect for the purpose of it. We spent very little time here as we was mainly out touring the massive New York City! We were staying here for a week and it wasnt until the end of the week that we had seen all we wanted to and shopped and walked miles that we stayed in the room a bit longer.
It is value for money (would of been better if the pound stayed strong against the dollar but oh well), in a good area( Mama Mexico restaurant was a favourite of the week and over the road from the hotel and great takeout pizzas too after the tavern! Bonus) and cleaned every day with fresh towels.
It had friendly staff and had no problems with checking in or the lift what everyone seems to moan about. And downstairs which we only found only the last day was a great shared area with tv's which they show films and a great looking kitchen.
Also its on 101st and there is a subway at 103rd so very handy once you master them.
Overall we were both very pleased are only bad point was a very noisy bed! Lol!
Dont expect the ritz but it is all you need but i can only speak for the hotel not the hostel which may be very different but you get what you pay for and this was quality for money.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 November 2008

Me and my mum planned a trip to new york as a special treat for ourselves. We chose this hotel as it stood out from the rest with the fancy website, pictures of the rooms and facilities, so we booked with hostelbookers.com for for a 4 night stay.
However the reality was quite different. On arrival our room was not ready so we had to go away for an hour and when we returned it took us over an hour to check in as there was a discrepency with the amount we had to pay, they were trying to charge us more than we had been quoted on the website, even taking into account the tax that had to be added it was still about 80pound more they were asking for. Something else we were unaware was that they did not accept cards and this was the way we were intending to pay so we had to use our spending money to pay, but because we only had enough to pay for one night until we could get to a cashpoint, we explained this to the receptionist and she let us do that after a lot of discussion and having to pay to use their internet to print off my confirmation!
The elavator did not work so we had to cart our heavy suitcases up for floors to our room. Our room was nothing to write home about, it was small and not very clean, it did have a fancy television tho!
The hostel was so noisy at night we could not sleep so the next day we decided we could not not stay here another night so we packed up our bags and found another hotel along the street for the same price with amazing clean rooms and great facilities!
Another thing is we have lost the £48 deposit made during the booking as we were told the hotel did not receive any of this so we ended up having to pay the full tariff for our one night stay leaving us £48 out of pocket, something which i have emailed the hotel about twice since i have returned but had no response!
Over the last few days we have both come out in lots of red spots all over our bodies, after doing a bit or research turns out we have both been bitten with bed bugs from sleeping in their bed - lovely.
All in in my message would be - don't stay here if you are visiting new york, its in a good location but thats all it has to offer!

• Stayed: October 2008
1  Thank ScotHev

Whenever we have guests booking on websites that are not our own website, we highly encourage them to read the fine print on all booking websites. We make sure to communicate our policies to the booking engines we affiliate ourselves with. We make sure to provide the information that, we do not accept any type of debit or credit card, and that when booking accommodations in the US, taxes are never included.

We try our best to inform our guests of our policies but we also ask that are guests make sure to read their confirmation letters and the terms and conditions of the facility

Reviewed 9 November 2008

I booked a 4 bed dorm for 5 nights stay for myself, (35) my sister (33) and my Mum(61). I figured that paying a little extra would mean we would have more space and more privacy. This turned out to be a top idea. We had to move rooms after two nights to ensure we had the 4 bed dorm to ourselves but it was no drama. We just stored our luggage in the locked stoage room during the day and checked back in that night. I was a little hesitant about staying in a hostel with a bunch of backpackers, especially with Mum with us but it was fine.

There was quite a bit of noise in the hallways at night and from the other dorms - just chatter and laughter, but the blue 'extreme' noise reduction earplugs from Hearos soon put an end to that! The first room window didn't open but the second one did which was great for some fresh air, although the street noise from Broadway meant we couldn't leave it open all night.

There are only 3 bathroom/restrooms in each tower/floor which meant lining up. These are in the process of being renovated and were very nice and clean considering how many people were using them. I'd suggest they install a few just 'toilet' rooms on each floor, so if you are busting to go in the morning, you don't have to wait for the person to finish in the shower first.

I second the suggestion that they introduced single-sex dorms. Although this wasn't an issue for me this time, I would have hated it if I had to share with a bunch of blokes if I was travelling alone. The smell of mens dirty socks would have driven me out into the street!

The elevator is ancient and tiny, so taking the stairs was often quicker, especially on the way down. But this is New York, whaddya expect? The foyer area is very modern and boutique style which is nice, but doesn't really reflect the rest of the accomodation. It also gets very crowded especially after 3pm when everyone is trying to check in. Staff were pretty good, especially Brendan who went out of his way to help us.
There's cheap internet access computers in the common area and free wi-fi available.

The location is pretty good. About a 8 minute walk to the 103rd st subway station on the #1 line. The neighbourhood is fairly residential although there are lots of places to eat and drink near by. It's not in the tourist-trap area of Times Square, so it's mostly locals and independent travellers in the area. I can highly recommend the mushroom and swiss cheese omlette at the French cafe on Broadway towards 103rd. Soleil something. Just get there before 9am for the breakfast special prices! The Metro Diner on Broadway is also good for fast and furious NYC food. Try the gigantic spagetti and meatballs - in fact share them with a friend!
There's a laudromat around the corner as well as a pharmacy/drugstore.

I'd stay at the Broadway hotel again and would recommend it to all who aren't too precious about their hotel accomodation. On this trip I stayed at all types including a 5* star hotel. I'm there to experience the city and culture - not worry too much about the thread count of the sheets.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank JustineK
Reviewed 6 November 2008

I had a difficult time finding a private room during the New York marathon, and stumbled upon the Broadway Hotel and Hostel. The people at the service desk were great, and the accommodations were fine. The room was small (6 x 12) a bunk bed, a small table, but no dresser or closet for clothes. There were four bathrooms on the floor (we stayed on the 2nd floor) and each had its own toilet, sink and shower, so we had privacy. The bathrooms were very clean. We had to run the fan at night as the noise in the hall was loud, and the heater didn't work, so we got more blankets. Linen and towels changed daily. No phone or TV. Lobby area spacious and clean. Computers available.
Location: From La Guardia take the M60 bus to the last stop at 106th street and Broadway and walk to hotel.
Subways: the 1 stops at 103rd Street, but the 2 & 3 express subways stop at 96th Street and it's worth walking a few more blocks to avoid the local 1.
Note well: only cash or travelers checks are accepted. Our four day stay for two people was $450.00.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family