“Ok”

Broadway Hotel and Hostel
Rio de Janeiro
“Ok”
Reviewed 7 May 2009

I've been there for 9 nights and it was ok. There are lots of people complaining about the pictures, but there are lots of places that the pictures are even better than the real place.

I stayed at the hostel part at a room with 4 beds and I was luck of having friendly roommates. The bathrooms at my floor were clean almost all the time and the linen and towels were changed everyday. The location is fine, close to places for eating and a small walking distance for the 103st station.

The only thing that I didn't like was the wifi connection, because you have to go to the lobby with the laptop, I think that for the future the staff should install some routers at the other floors... And the wifi signal was very poor, the connection failed lots of times... it was a little bit desapointing.

But if I come back to NY I will consider that place. It was fine for me.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
new york
Reviewed 12 April 2009

I have stayed there on occasion as well. I trust this Hostel for my family and loved ones.
Since I live in a very small apartment, I need to have a great place for my extended family to stay when they come to visit - it seems there is always someone from my family at the Broadway.
It is very clean, the staff headed by the Manager, Jeremy, are excellent.
I will continue to have my family stay there, in fact as I remodel my apartment, I will be ther too next month.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
Vienna
Reviewed 4 April 2009

I have spent few nights in this property in summer 2007. The only good thing about this hostel is its location. The rest is awfull if you compare with similar hostels in Europe, this one doesn't reach the European level !! And image you pay for 80$ for private room !!!
We stayed in a private room for 2 people. Room was very very small (prison cell) with lack of any wardrobe or a single coathanger nor small table nor chair. You cannot open the small window (NYC speciality probably) in the room and the A/C didn't work there. The cleanliness of the rooms wasn't bad, but the public toilets are awfull during morining/evening peak times.Be prepared to wait in the long long queues for Toilets each morning or evening in front of 1 toilet on each floor that works. Other toilets available on the floor were permanently off duty due to technical reasons. The lift didn't work during our stay, and bearing the luggage to the 3rd floor on your own is a little bit funny considering the bell boy is rejecting to help you even if you give him 5$ !! No comment. We have noticed few cockroaches going out of the sink at nights. But that's normal in NYC.The hostel is very noisy until morning, walls are probably made of paper, so be prepared to take ear-plugs with you ! The cleaning staff (except of front-desk) doesn't speak even basics of english, they speak only Spanish.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
BwayManagement, Supervisor at Broadway Hotel and Hostel, responded to this review, 9 April 2009
At the Broadway Hotel and Hostel we try our very best to appease all of out guests in order to guarentee they have the best stay possible. We offer several different room types for different levels of ameneties for our guests. We understand that some people may find staying in a hostel to be similar to that of a hotel and why we do our very best to offer the cleanest rooms, bathrooms and facilites to our guests, however a hostel and a hotel are two different entities.

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

UK
Reviewed 1 March 2009

The location of this hostel/hotel was good, and easy to find. Also the linens and towels in the rooms were changed daily which was great.
I was made to wait when I checked in as the reception staff were having a personal conversation, and despite seeing me waiting, did not put their customer first. I found this odd especially as Americans are renowned for their supposedly excellent customer service.
The door on my room was broken, the door handle actually fell off every time someone touched it. I reported this to reception and was assured it would be dealt with immediately, however it was still broken when I left. There are no lockers either in the rooms or anywhere else so the fact that the door was broken was a big security issue for me. Not entirely sure why they have people on the door when they don't help with luggage, open doors, or check IDs of guests.
When booking on the Hostelworld website, it clearly states that every guest will receive "complimentary amenities upon Check-In for all guests including brand name products - Razors, Tooth Brushes And Paste And Feminine Products". This is stated on other booking sites also. I didn't receive this, and while it's not a deciding factor as to whether to book here or not, if it is stated then it should obviously be supplied. If they were not available then this should hae been explained.
There were only 3 shared bathrooms on my floor, I never found it to be a problem for queues but could see how it might be. The shower I used was incredible and impressive, a huge shower fitted to the ceiling so the water fell like a waterfall. The lobby area was always crowded but visually very elegant. I didn't expect the photos on the website to match to what was actually there, but the lobby and common room area photos were accurate, it's a shame the actual reality of staying here (and not just for me judging by the rest of these reviews) couldn't live up to the initial appearance of the place.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
Ireland
Reviewed 16 January 2009

Ok, Firstly I would like to point out i'm not fussy when it comes to accomodation being a student and all that. We were travelling in a group of Three and the Two other girls had reservations about staying in a hostel. After much persuasion we booked the Broadway hostel for three nights.

1.We booked out a 4 bed dormitory and paid for an extra person in order to have a bit of privacy.
2 Upon arrival we checked in the receptionist was quite busy but really nice.However the lift was broken and we had to haul suitcases up a tiny staircase which was hell especially if you were on the top floor, plus we had luggage for a Four month stay in America. Noone even bothered asking if we wanted help and actually complained because we carried the suitcases up the stairs and therefore took over the staircase.
3. upon entering the room there was a male in our room even though we had paid for the room for 4 people.
4. The showers were freezing but sure I hopped in anyway.

Overall the security team is great, really nice and so helpful and you felt safe that they were there all night. The housekeepers are fantastic! The above would be expected when the room rates WERE as cheap as $18 however I have just looked up the prices and see that they have changed and are very expensive now so in my opinion they should drop there prices as they are ridiculously overpriced.We never complained about our stay! The one thing I feel strongly about is false advertisment as the room that is advertised in the picture is not what you get AT ALL!
I wonder if this room actually exists!

• Liked — The Location
  • Disliked — The showers
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Broadwaymgt, Supervisor at Broadway Hotel and Hostel, responded to this review, 19 February 2009
Here at the Broadway Hotel and Hostel we try our best to accommodate every guest in the best possible way. We want each guest to feel happy and content with their stay at our facility. We are constantly updating and renovating the rooms in our hostel to make sure they are up to par. Unfortunately, the renovation process is one that does take time and while we do have some rooms that may not be as nice as what is pictured on our website we are working on making sure that every single room is given a complete overhaul.
NY
Reviewed 14 January 2009

I was amazed at how cheap the place was - approx. $18 a night for a four-bed dormitory room. However, I soon realized why it was so cheap after my first night there.

The showers were always cold, and the room temperature was unstable. My first few nights were freezing cold, and my last night was extremely hot. The pictures are very deceiving. The walls are thin, so you can hear everything going on outside - including toilets flushing from down the hall.

On their Web site, their security policy says that they check the IDs of everyone that comes through the door. This is absolutely false, and it is why someone who wasn't even staying at the hostel was able to follow me to my room and showed up there the next night. I checked out a week and a half early because I was so fed up with my stay.

On the plus side, the staff was very nice and understanding. The movies in the lobby were cool (although a little loud) and it was nice that they had a little kitchenette in the lobby.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Bad security, cold showers, unreliable internet access, extreme room temperatures
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
At The Broadway Hotel and Hostel we want to make sure that all of the amenities we offer are readily available and properly functioning. We take our job as hospitality providers very seriously. However, sometimes situations arise that are unfortunately, inconvenient for the guests here at our facility. During high volume weeks there maybe one or two situations (i.e. hot water shortages or difficult wifi) which is a direct result of high volume. When these situations arise we immediately send our maintenance staff to solve the problem of hot water on a case by case basis. We want to make sure that everyone was a nice hot shower to welcome them home. Whenever a high volume of guests are logged onto the wifi system other guest may experience a slower connection or difficulty logging on but we gladly offer our desktop computers, which are plugged into LAN cables with very high speed internet connections.
coventry, england
Reviewed 9 December 2008

We are writing this review mainly because when we were trying to find out info about this hotel we could only find reviews for the hostel part.
We found this hotel/hostel absolutely perfect for the purpose of it. We spent very little time here as we was mainly out touring the massive New York City! We were staying here for a week and it wasnt until the end of the week that we had seen all we wanted to and shopped and walked miles that we stayed in the room a bit longer.
It is value for money (would of been better if the pound stayed strong against the dollar but oh well), in a good area( Mama Mexico restaurant was a favourite of the week and over the road from the hotel and great takeout pizzas too after the tavern! Bonus) and cleaned every day with fresh towels.
It had friendly staff and had no problems with checking in or the lift what everyone seems to moan about. And downstairs which we only found only the last day was a great shared area with tv's which they show films and a great looking kitchen.
Also its on 101st and there is a subway at 103rd so very handy once you master them.
Overall we were both very pleased are only bad point was a very noisy bed! Lol!
Dont expect the ritz but it is all you need but i can only speak for the hotel not the hostel which may be very different but you get what you pay for and this was quality for money.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple