“Cosy, clean and affordable hostel with nice staff”

Broadway Hotel and Hostel
rachel1040
“Cosy, clean and affordable hostel with nice staff”
Reviewed 23 July 2009

I stayed at Broadway hotel and hostel for ten days in july. I was a bit ancious for the stay when i read in someones review that they only would recommend this hostel to homeless, my expectations were also very low. I traveled with three other friends, and we lived in to double rooms. The rooms was very nice, one double bed, TV, bathroom, air-condition and also a cooling fan in the ceiling. With other words: all we needed. The room was clean, and the housemaids cleaned the rooms every day if you wanted to (included in the price).

At the first floor, it was a small kitchen the guests could use with a micro, refridgerator and cookingplates if you have a strickt budget and can`t afford eating out every night.

If your`re planning a trip to New York, i would really recommend Broadway hostel and hotel:)

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
Broadwaymgt, Supervisor at Broadway Hotel and Hostel, responded to this review, 5 August 2009
I am very happy that you left our hostel with such a favorable impression of our facility. We really love to hear when our guests have had a good time here at the Broadway. We look forward to having you back as a guest

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 6 July 2009

We decided to drive to NYC from Maryland and were looking for a cheap hotel as close as possible to Times Square. So keeping in mind that we reserved this hotel the day before, I can't complain. One thing I learned while shopping around for a hotel, is that NYC hotels have 2 different kinds of rooms: Either you get your own private bathroom or have to use a shared bathroom. This means that you have to use a public bathroom for the entire floor!

So when I called to book my room, I requested 2 rooms with 2 double beds in each room. Either I'm confused as to the meaning on double beds, or NY considers double beds to be twin beds!

After checking in, we were waiting a while for the elevator. Since it was taking too long, we opted to take the stairs. Boy was that the worst thing I could have done! It just put a sour taste in my mouth for this hotel! The stairway halls were very narrow, dark, and dirty! I kept praying that I stranger wouldn’t be waiting further up to rob me! I accidentally entered the wrong floor as the doors do not have a number to let you know which floor you are on. Boy what a mistake! I think I had entered the floor for people actually living here! It sort of reminded me of the hotel in the movie "Coming to America!" where it was filthy and had mice everywhere! (Not that I actually saw any-but can imagine just by the looks!) After hauling my luggage up to my room- I finally find the correct floor!! As I step into my room, I realize that it’s not the rooms that I had booked. I look for a phone to call the lobby- but to my surprise- there were no phones in the room! Just my luck I didn’t have the hotel number programmed to my cell phone, plus why would I have to waste my minutes calling them?!?!

I turn right back around and have to go right back down the filthy stairs! By then I was aggravated that no one had offered to help me carry my luggage to the third floor, and that I had to go all the way back down to inform them of the mistake. I tell the receptionist that she made a mistake. I had requested 2 rooms with 2 double beds in each since there were 4 people staying in each room. She then proceeded to tell me that those were double beds! I think I would have let it go under different circumstances, but I took her attitude as “Well, you’ve already paid- now you’re screwed!” I asked if we can get 2 additional rooms at a discounted price then and they were not very accommodating! But she did offer to provide extra blankets and pillows for someone to sleep on the floor!! (Isn’t that against fire code policy??)

We ended up staying there since I didn’t want the hassle of looking for another hotel on such short notice and the majority that I had previously looked up were already booked. We only needed the room to sleep and shower- and they did their purpose. In regards to the shower- either you need to get up extra early or wait until very late at night to take your shower as the hot water is very scarce here!

All in All- it all just goes back to the saying “You get what you pay for!”
But I was just so aggravated that the pictures on their website made it seem like they were such a nicer hotel! I felt really bad with my extended family for choosing this hotel!

So the big question is – would I stay there again? Definitely not! Next time I will definitely pay the extra bucks to stay in a cleaner hotel!

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Jessica R
Broadwaymgt, Supervisor at Broadway Hotel and Hostel, responded to this review, 9 July 2009
At the Broadway we offer two different types of rooms, Shared Dormitory (Hostel Rooms) or Standard Hotel rooms (private bathroom, queen size bed). It sounds to me that you booked the twin private, which is a hostel room for just two people, bunk bed style. Even though you are "sharing" a bathroom, there is NOT just one bathroom per floor--there are 3-4 bathrooms per wing. We make sure our cleaning staff clean those facilites reguarly and thoroughly. Yes, we do only have one elevator but our stairwell is properly lit and is always in pristine order and very clean. Right above each door is a sign posted denoting which floor you are on.

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Mandurah, Australia
Reviewed 25 June 2009

The hostel was in a great location, walking distance to Central Park, great cheap restaurants close by. The staff were very accommodating and helpful. The had good amenities, and free movies in the common room every night.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
australia
Reviewed 21 June 2009

I stayed almost 3 weeks at the hostel in a 4 bed dorm. The staff were more than helpful, i always felt completely safe, especially since this was the first coed hostel i was staying in. The room was cold and the hot water not always working, however the bed was clean!!! that was a major factor in staying at this hostel. Yeah there are renovations but it just shows that the hotel is trying to make itself even better than it is. Definately recommend this hotel to anyone, including my grandparents and will be returning November 2009 for yet another wonderful stay. There is a common room - which always showed movies, very friendly atmosphere, location is far from most things but your in NY to sight see so walking everywhere is not a problem.

• Stayed April 2007, travelled solo
minnesota
Reviewed 28 May 2009

I am still waiting for a response to my review which is no longer posted. I checked my bag which contained text books and personal items; I handed it to an employee and that is the last time I saw it. It was a lap top bag although for me it contained expensive text books that I needed for my classes. No one was helpful when I tried to pick it up. I tried multiple calls once I returned to Minnesota, I faxed the requested form, Jeremy never got back to me. This left a very negative impression and caused a lot of hassles and expense to replace the stolen items.

Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
I am very distressed to read this review. We take pride in the fact that our storage system is very secure and very responsible. If you would like you can send an email to guestservices@broadwayhotelnyc.com with a list of items and I will personally look into this situation myself.
Wexford
Reviewed 26 May 2009

After searching the internet we found the Broadway Hotel to be one of the cheapest hotels in Manhatten, perfect for spending the extra money on sightseeing and shopping! Its located just 3 blocks from the nearest subway and in a lovely part of the island, surrounded by nice restaurants.The rooms were clean with comfy beds, air conditioning, nice powerful shower and were serviced everyday.Staff were really friendly too!Its basic but perfect for tourists who spend the day sightseeing!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Croatia
Reviewed 24 May 2009

This is really not like a hostel as my husband and I know them...there is no common room and the kitchen is basically non-existent, which was very disappointing as this was one of the main ways we hoped to save $ in the expensive city of NY. There is only one fridge which ws always packed solid and hot water and access to showers was limited. Staff were ok, not overly friendly or interested in their customers. A suggestion to the establishment: at least put some decent curtains or blinds in rooms so you are not woken early by the first bit of light, some travellers have travelled far and need a good sleep, no matter if it is morning. Maybe you could find something better??

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple