1,251 results
All reviewssubway stationcentral parknew yorkupper west sideshared bathtwin roomtwo blockslocation is greatsinkbroadwaymanhattancomputersdinerconslaptopdoorman
Reviewed 21 October 2017

first the good things. The staff was very nice and helpful, no problems there. The location was great.The coffee in the morning for $1.25 was delightful. The common room in the lobby was friendly and cheerful.The price was the lowest I have spent for a room in NYC. now for the bad things. I think the walls were made of paper---I could hear every single thing in the other rooms and in the hallways. The room itself? very bare bones and I don't need much. It did remind me of a prison cell. I understand that this was a very inexpensive room but one red plastic chair and the overhead light glaring down at you?? maybe two chairs and a simple light on the wall would have improved things 100%-- not sure why I was shocked when someone else entered my room at 5 am to sleep in the top bunk. I'm just happy she was quiet and polite. If you are going to rent a room for two people maybe have two chairs? That 5 am guest had no where to put her backpack or clothes. I'm thinking the room could have been half the size for the price with just a single bunk bed and that would have been ok...this idea of sharing your room with a stranger just seemed odd to me---I think I speak for a lot of single travelers when I say I love NYC but the accommodations are insane. you either pay $$$$ for a room or $ for a room with some pretty big compromises.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 October 2017 via mobile

I stayed here with two friends in a private room with an ensuite bathroom.

Whilst the room was small, it suited our needs perfectly and we were all happy with it. The reception staff were generally friendly but some were more helpful than others. The location was good in terms of there being shops and restaurants close by and was close enough to attractions if people were willing to use the subway.

This was very reasonably priced and suited our needs so if we returned to New York I would definitely stay here again. One criticism however is that the room was billed as sleeping up to 4 but in reality if a 4th person had stayed with us then there definitely would not have been enough room.

Stayed: September 2017
Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

I went with my brother and the room had no heat and it was freezing! We went to ask for an extra duvet or any covers but the receptionist was so rude and they didn’t have any. We had to cover ourselves with towels. There was no hot water either so despite the cold I had to shower with freezing water. It is understandable that there might be issues in hotel appliances but the fact they didn’t have any clean duvets or covers for us was a sign of poor management. Never be back there again.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank Explorer676285
Reviewed 18 September 2017

Better late than never, I stayed here in April, but just getting sround to review.

Huge shout out to Lauren and Ali at the front desk. They were so accommodating and super friendly from the moment I arrive to my final day.

The hostel itself is great for any "backpacker" type traveler coming to NY for the first time. It's removed enough to get a quiet day or two in, but you're still surrounding by a lot of great food places and very near to the train station.

Def take a stroll down to the Hudson River, and over to Central Park (both 10 mins walk). There are a few Chinese and Mexican restaurants worth checking out and a Subway and Chipotle nearby if you're not feeling too adventurous. The bagel shop across the street is also great for breakfast and there's a little dive-esque bar if you wanna have a drink close by late at night.

My only complaints would be issues with other guests and housekeepers being extremely loud. One guest had two kids roaming the halls at night and I just oened my door and stared at them until they ran back to their room crying. #sorrynotsorry The housekeepers are up and about by 10/11 AM. Prepare to hear them chatting loudly with each other in Spanish as they move about. It wasn't a problem, but just a bit annoying when I wanted to sleep in.

Otherwise, for a cheap (by NY standards) hostel, it was comfortable enough. If your budget allows and you don't want to be inconvenienced, def consider elsewhere. But if you're looking for cheap and cheerful, def worth it.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

I stayed in this Hostel two times. Good location. 3 minutes from Subway. Very quiet place. A lot of restaurants around. Price for night is cheap. Stuff is very friendly. I think I'll stay here next time.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo