“Clean, but no heat, warning sign on the entrance with no true explanation”

Broadway Hotel and Hostel
CI, LI , NY
“Clean, but no heat, warning sign on the entrance with no true explanation”
Reviewed 25 November 2010

Priceline has this place as a hotel, so when I booked it for the price and my confirmation stated I would be sharing a bathroom, I figured it was a Hostel.
Never having stayed at a hostel before, I was not prepared for the sign on the door stating basically that the place had been deemed Perilous to Life. When I inquired about the sign, I was told it was because the fire department did not approve of 4 beds to a room and they had 7 rooms that were like that. I noticed that there were 9 rooms on that list, so I doubt they were being upfront about the sign. Making sure that my room was not on that list, I agreed to stay.
The downsides: Called ahead to inquire about the parking and they told me that there was plenty of parking in front of the hotel, incorrect. One lock on the door. Woke up at 2 AM freezing, old fashioned BROKEN HEATER, packed on more clothes. Noisy with paper thin doors.
The upsides: LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION.
Clean room, clean bathroom.sink in the room, LCD 42" flat screen in the room. If I could get a straight answer about the sign on the door, I would recommend this place in warmer weather.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Scotland
Reviewed 13 November 2010

This was my second time at this hostel and it is still excellent. It is located at 101 Broadway and is only 2 blocks from the nearest subway station which takes you right into the City and Times Square etc. There are also plenty of places to eat & drink in the local area and is safe to walk around in even when it gets dark.

Hostel rooms are no frills but clean and tidy. Shared bathroom facilities are also very clean and the staff are all young and very helpful with all enquiries.

I would recommened this hotel/hostel to anyone coming to New York on a budget and looking for somewhere clean, safe and in a good location.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank SATraveller07
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed 5 November 2010

On my first trip to New York, a low-budget one, I picked Broadway Hotel and Hostel for its fantastic location: on the Broadway - 100th Street intersection, with Metro stations couple of blocks away. Thanks to its location, I could spend a great evening and late-night in the Times Square and return safely in the wee hours.

The staff are young, friendly - and helpful, which saw me through the first night. Returning late, I found the mini air-conditioner fixed on the lone window not working. Leave aside sleep, I just couldn't breathe. I went down the stairs - the lift is moody -- determined to sleep the night in the lobby or the TV room. The young man at the counter gave me a private room, as a special case. Next morning, the air conditioning was set right and I moved back into my room with twin bunk beds and a washbasin. Nothing else. The bed is squeaky but the linen is clean and the softest I have known.

The other great thing about this place is its energy, thanks to young tourists of all nationalities. The TV room is a good meeting place. The place has no coffee shop but just outside are plenty of eating options.

Even after paying for the twin bunk beds, I found the rent fair for the location.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Columbustta
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 2 November 2010

We had booked a bunk bed but were upgraded to a very nice twin room, with fan, AC, TV and a sink. It was spotlessly clean and we got fresh towels every day. Bathrooms were outside the room but this was not a problem, and they were also clean. The lay-out and quality of each bathroom differs, but you are free to use whichever you want so you can pick your favourite, and during the 6 days we stayed, we never had to wait. Nights were rather quiet, far less noisy than I had expected - which is good. What did spoil my night's rest a little, was the stiff mattress.

The location is quite convenient and the area feels safe at all times. It's basically on Broadway, there are loads of shops and restaurants within 5 mins walk, and it's only a few steps from the 103 subway station.

All receptionists were friendly and helpful. I would reccommend this hotel/hostel, and stay here again.

There is only 1 simple thing that could and should be improved: fit some hooks and shelves in rooms and bathrooms. Or place some chairs. All stuff (clothes, toilet bag, towels) had to be put on the floor, in the room there was not even a designated space to leave your coat - we just had to throw it in a corner. Same with wet towels.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dingdup
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2010

Nearest subway is 103rd Street, but 96th is close too. Maybe a 10-15 minutes ride into Midtown, and trains are frequent. It was certainly the best location we could find for our budget - most of the places suggested to us weren't even in Manhattan!

We stayed in a double room and it was perfectly clean; it appeats basic, but it had a TV, bathroom and bed, which is all we wanted. In the morning hot water could be limited, but was fine in the evenings. We found that if we waited 5 minutes between our showers, it was perfectly fine.

The staff are friendly and helpful, and overall we were happy with the place. Have breakfast at the Metro Diner on corner of 100th and Broadway - the omelettes are a bargain!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Billericay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2010

We arrived after our journey from London, and first time using the New York subway, to find 2 very official looking signs on the hotel doors. From a brief read, it said that the hotel had been shut down because it was considered unfit for humans...and tresspassers who enter the property would be arrested! SO we were pretty shocked, however, a man told us to go in, so we did.
The receptionist informed us that we would not be staying there, but would stay at their "sister hotel" The Hotel Marrakech. I asked what it was all about and what she told us was that the local authorities had decided to shut down hostels in the New York area. So, the rooms where there arte more than one set of bunk beds, had been closed completely. (They hadn't even been allowed to take the beds apart and sleep 2 people.) Therefore, the people who should have all stayed in that room, were moved to 2 private rooms, thus leaving no private rooms for those who had booked those...so were moved to the Marrakech.
(We were there from 16th-19th October 2010 and the new law had only just been passed. They need to apply to re-enter the rooms that have been closed...and they don't know when this might happen)

Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Cochrane, Canada
Reviewed 16 October 2010

First off, a double room does not ensure 2 beds, 6 of us ended up sharing 3 rooms each with only one double bed, luckily we all got along and were ok sharing a bed. Elevator was scary, would recommend taking the stairs, rooms were very hot, had the a/c on in december!! But since all we did was sleep there it was good value for the price and very close to most places we wanted to see. Oh, and you need to give them your drivers lisence in order to use a hair dryer!!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends