“Good for the price”

Broadway Hotel and Hostel
brighton
“Good for the price”
Reviewed 14 January 2011

Stayed in a private double room. Not bad size but very dark. Bathroom clean and towels changed regularly which didn't expect in a hostel. Was disappointed with the kitchenette - not what I expected. Am used to staying in hostels where I can prepare a drink and usually a meal too. This one had a fridge, empty cupboards and a microwave. No plates, cups, mugs, cutlery - nothing to even boil water. Staff were pleasant and friendly. Felt completely safe at night in the area. Very well situated for getting around the city by both subway and walking . Would stay there again because with NY prices it is still good value but would remember its not possible to self-cater

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wmwsussex

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 January 2011

Stayed at Broadway Hotel and Hostel in November 2010 and thought it was great considering what we were paying and our location. We are students and weren't looking to spend a lot on accommodation in NYC! This was my 6th time visiting the city and my 3rd time staying in a hostel and this is by far the nicest in terms of appearance and staff. The main lobby was surprisingly well decorated! We thought maybe we were in the wrong place since we were paying for a hostel. We spent our first 2 nights in the private double bedroom. It had a flat screen tv, two large beds, lots of storage space (no lockers), and a sink and mirror. Private washrooms are across the hall. We couldn't believe the quality of this room considering what we were paying and I definitely plan on booking one of these rooms again! We were moved to a dorm style, 1 bunk bed room for our last 2 nights. Slightly disappointing in comparison to our first room but typical for any regular hostel you are going to find in nyc (or anywhere for that matter). The staff was very helpful with our room switch and stored our bags for us while we checked out the city. Another benefit is the fact that there is an elevator so you don't have to carry your bags up the long staircases. (In most hostels I've stayed in, elevators aren't typical)

There were a few cons: Wireless internet is only available in the main lobby (but it's free!) Also, depending on what you want from your trip, this hostel may be slightly out of the way. We were looking for fun places to go at night and, since we were staying in a residential area, we would have to head down to midtown or Chelsea to find places that were open/with people our own age. There is a major subway station just a few blocks up though so traveling is easy!

All in all this place surprised us, especially the private rooms. In the private rooms you are essentially staying in a regular hotel room on the upper west side but paying very little. My friends were shocked to see our pictures of the room knowing it was a hostel! There is great shopping and restaurants around and you will have a great time if you keep an open mind :)

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank dont_swear
Bielefeld, Germany
Reviewed 11 January 2011

Good compared to its cheap price.
Good location. Bathrooms clean. Elevator too small. Very narrow hallway.
Spacious room for 2 bunk bed dorm.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank mpmpmg
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 10 January 2011

After travelling from Australia to New York (ie after 24 hours of travelling!!!), we got a shuttle to the hotel - which was fine, but we were the last to be dropped off so from arriving into New York at 9pm, we didnt end up at our hotel until after midnight. Then to find a sign on the door of the Broadway Hotel and Hostel saying it was declared unfit and you should enter at your own risk, or something like that. Then the woman at the desk looked at her computer screen for about 10 to 15 mins looking confused and when I asked what the problem was she told us that for some reason we were not in the booking system! I was very fed up with this and showed her the proof that we were in fact booked in. She then said all they could do was to put us in a hotel down the street called the Marakesh Hotel as they were fully booked. Not something you want to hear after travelling over 24 hours and having no sleep. She confirmed that we were able to stay for the next 5 nights but just not the first night. So we had to drag our very heavy bags down the street to the other hotel only to find there was no lift and we were put on the 3rd floor (which was six flights of stairs!).

The next 5 nights was spent back in the Broadway Hotel and when checking in (again) I mentioned the difficulty that the woman the night before had trying to find our booking, and the guy checking us in said, "oh she could find it, we had just overbooked!". So that tells me that she was lying to us the whole time.

We were lucky to get a room with its own bathroom - very grateful for that, I could not have stood having to share a bathroom. The room was very small, very little room between the end of the bed and the wall, so had to squeeze past to get to the other side.

I would never stay there again and unless you are used to Dorm style hotels or hostels, I would not recommend staying there.

Positives about it was that it was close to the subway and Starbucks and Convenience store and some other eateries. Thats all.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 9 January 2011

Stayed here for 5 nights in December...location was okay, near 2 subway stops, however the building has a condemned sign on the door which we were told "means nothing" - but why would it be there then? Was a very off-putting first impression. My friend and I had a double bed private room and were surprised at how tiny the bed was, it barely held the 2 of us and as friends travelling together it was a bit awkward. VERY basic room and dank, unwelcoming hallways. Also there was a complete lack of activites planned meaning it was hard to interact with other hostel guests. The room cost us over $200 a night and I wish I'd paid for a proper hotel instead.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
Glasgow
Reviewed 31 December 2010

Having read a mixture of reviews I wasn't sure what to expect. We had booked a double double with shared bathroom only to be told when arrived that there had been a double booking (even though I had confimred by booking a week before I went and was told everything was fine) and the room wasn't available and were offered three singles and that our room would be ready in two days, we we're just so excited to be in NYC that we said yes no probs, in hindsight, maybe wouldv'e stuck our ground a bit more. The room was basic however the landing had a strange smell and I wasn't impressed with the shared bathrooms (tissues with blood lying around, hair etc), the further away bathroon was a lot cleaner.. We had to actually check out on the second day, we were out early which was fine but came back about lunchtime to charge our camera's etc and were told our new room still wan't ready, huge inconvieniance considering we had paid for 5 nights straight and there shouldn't have been a gap, reception didn't seem to get this and weren't very helpful I have to say. When we finally got our room it was fine, if we had this room when we arrived there would have been no problem. Oh forgot to say the bath wasn't working in the new room so couldn't have a bath. As people have said great location, subway station 5 mins away and takes you right to Times Square. You do basically get what you pay for, I have never stayed in a hostel before so I wasn't really used to the whole bathroom sharing thing and tiny rooms but as I say you get what you pay for and for all the time we were in the room it didn't really affect my enjoyment of the Big Apple.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank LauraKGlasgow
Brisbane
Reviewed 28 December 2010

This hostel/hotel is all about value for money. The staff were fairly helpfull and very friendly; special mention to the guy who checked us in! We booked a 2 bed private dorm - fairly large room but way too basic for my liking. It kinda made me a bit uncomfortable having basically just a bunk bed and a sink, but hey that's all we needed. There were 2 bathrooms on our floor, the older one having the best hot water and the newer one being a pain in the bum to work out. Either way they were both very clean. It's location is the best thing about it I feel, being right on broadway it was close to central park, subway stations and some great places to eat. As two 17 year olds, we felt very safe walking around here at night. The internet and tv in the lounge room was also very handy and a good way to meet other people. Only downside to this hostel/hotel, is that someone drank my pepsi from the fridge; not cool! Overall, would stay here again :)

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple