“Great for moving to New York and looking for a more permanent place”
Review of Hotel Alexander

and 1 more site!
Hotel Alexander
New York City, New York
“Great for moving to New York and looking for a more permanent place”
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Moved to New York and had problems finding an apartment and then had to wait for my apartment to become available. I stayed here for a month and a half, only complaint is that the rooms were a little small, but what isn’t in New York. Great value, staff were friendly, but not overbearing. Had an issue with my air conditioner and it was replaced within a couple hours. Area is great too: close to the 2-3 express train and Central Park. Lots of grocery shopping close by too. Would definitely recommend for anyone who needs a short term place to stay when moving to NYC.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Megan L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Me and my girlfriend travelled to New York in December 2010. When we first arrived check in was quick and easy and only took a few minutes. we were given a room on the 6th floor which was basic but was perfect for us as we weren't planning on spending much time in it anyway! We were apprehensive about sharing a bathroom with other people as this was the first time we have ever done this. But to be honest it was no problem at all as the bathroom was always free and was right next to our room. So i wouldn't advise paying the extra for your own bathroom. The lift in the hotel was quite slow but thats just a minor rather picky observation. The hotel staff were also very friendly and helpful, we asked for advice a couple times about where to get off the subway and stuff, and they always went out of their way to explain everything to us. Also their was always someone on the reception 24 hours a day. Also they were quick to respond when we asked for clean towels, they were brought up really quickly. There was also internet available in the lounge area,you paid 1 Dollar and got 10 minutes which i thought was reasonable. The hotel was also in an ideal location for jumping on and off the subway as it was a two minute walk to the station. So overall i would definitely recommend this hotel to people looking to visit New York on a budget!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 February 2012

I recently stayed at the hotel for three months while my Manhattan apartment was being renovated. Let me put things in important perspective: the hotel cost less than half the price per night than at the Lincoln Center area YMCA. Let me repeat: half the price of a YMCA. I saw a photo of a room on the hotel's website which i thought way too nice to be a real photo. When i visited the hotel and looked at rooms i found rooms exactly like the photo. The one i occupied was luvly, newly renovated with a great king bed HD tv, small refrigerator and microwave, not huge but completely adequate, clean, comfortable and quiet. The hotel is situated on a quiet upper west side brownstone street, a two minute walk to the express Broadway subway line at 94th Street and one minute walk to Riverside Park. Great location. The management and support people starting with Evan, the manager, were all courteous, helpful and nice. I did not have one unpleasant exchange during three months of occupancy. Once a week the room was thoroughly cleaned and linens and towels replaced. There are shortcomings: there is one small elevator. It works but it certainly at times requires patience. The hotel wifi is very slow and i purchased mobile connectivity during my stay. And the lobby and hallways are not up to those of a high price hotel. But all in all i think it is an amazing value for the money. There is absolutely nothing on the upper west side of Manhattan as nice for the money by a country mile. It fit the bill perfectly for my needs and I heartily recommend it for anyone on a budget on a longer term stay.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank john f
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We picked this hotel to try to stay as central as possible while not paying through the nose or staying in an absolute hole. And it served its purpose pretty well. Shared bathroom was clean, good powerful shower. Ac in room a bit noisy at night but that was the main complaint, and the key point was it was a 5 min walk to the subway from which you could get downtown in 10-20 minutes on the fast train. Also very pleasant to be able to wander to Central Park. Overall would consider staying there again.

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank SGeerdron
Reviewed 31 October 2011

1) The room does not agree with I booked.
2) Do not trust this Hotel's website said "no charges for early departures". I booked room for about two months. I departed 3 days early but hotel have not given me back the money for those 3 day early departures. I am going to go to my creditcard company to claim it.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank leekqu

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 7 October 2011

I am currently staying at Hotel Alexander and I'm booked into a double queen bed room.

I am pretty happy with the hotel's location, service level and room quality. The location's splendid: the 96th street subway access is just 2 mins' walk away, and you can take the express 2 & 3 trains to Times Square in 15 mins. There are plenty of amenities within 2-5 mins' walk - pharmacies, convenience stores, supermarkets, cafes (including Starbucks), laudromarts, and restaurants.

The room I have is of decent quality. I love the modern furniture they use and the bathroom is as per the pictures you see on their website - very clean and modern. The bed's comfort is decent and the study desk and table are of good quality. There's LCD TV and wireless access in the room too. The only complaint I have though, is that there is no heater in the room. I've asked the front desk twice and apparently there have been plenty of complaints. Although New York is looking warmer this week, my room was cold as it faces the back (which is quieter than those street facing ones). So I had to get a portable heater from Bed, Bath & Beyond for $60, after having sleepless nights from the cold.

Other than the aircon issue the service quality is pretty good. Brittany reserved the room for me couple of weeks prior to my arrival and was responsive to my emails when I was overseas. I was checked in efficiently and the front desk is helpful. My parcels were duly received and I was informed too.

I would highly recommend Hotel Alexander to my anyone as long as they are not too particular about the upkeep of the common areas, but appreciates the room's quality and the hotel's accessibility.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Watamis
ct
Reviewed 27 July 2011

You may stay a minimum of a month only. Warning: do NOT book for less than that.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends