“Perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Lafayette House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Lafayette House
Ranked #397 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

I found this place from a friends recommendation in desperation as the hotel I previously booked had a broken air conditioner (it was 97f out). I called last minute and they had two rooms to pick from. I needed four nights so this was welcome news. As I walked up to the front door I had to second guess myself as it looked just like a normal SoHo brownstone. It is perfect. The best thing is not having to deal with a front desk- just helpful staff that magically appears from under the stairs - the incredible privacy and amazing comfort of being surrounded by early century antiques. The restaurant next door (right next door) serves comfort food (to your room if you wish) and of course just steps away are so many other great places. Wonderful location. Wi-Fi was fast. Room was cool intemp. Very clean. I can't wait to try another room. Maybe in the winter so I can use a fireplace.... Keep in mind that this is a little expensive and for the same price you could stay in a very nice hotel with all the usual services (bar, front desk, concierge etc)

Room Tip: I stayed in the basement- had my own lovely patio. It was great for late night glasses of wine- woul...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Janell V

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Ocean Isle Beach, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2012

We stayed in room #10 at the top of 2 very steep staircases. It was the heat wave of all heat waves and the room simply would not cool down. Also, the water in the bath sink had no pressure at all. As the room would not cool with the standard unit, they brought a fan and we still sweated through the night. Forget getting cool in the shower as the bathroom got no air at all. I complained about that fact that I was spending $325 for each of 3 nites and they moved us down to room #1 with a private courtyard for our last 2 nights. Very lovely. They were very accommodating and brought us complimentary waters, a oscillating fan and extra pillows. All my requests were immediately attended to. That said, the bathroom needs some work. Old, very poor lighting and the tub wouldn't drain during our last morning's showers. (nothing worse then standing in 4 "of water while you shower). Would I stay there again? Maybe. I see the room we were upgraded to was $450 or so. No way would I spend that. $325 tops. We went over to see the sister property "The Bowery Hotel" and saw a standard Queen for about the same price. Much brighter, great bathroom and of course, hotel services. The Layfayette House was very cool if you can get the courtyard. We had wine and cheese with our family and some friends and sat out there a long time. Very private, quiet and very New York. Great location.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

This property is a real find if, like me, you've had enough of corporate mid-town hotels.
You just have a room and a key - no concierge / bar / restaurant etc. so it's more like staying in someone's house (although you can order room service from the bar next door).
The decor is quirky and quaint - shabby chic meets Victoriana - the bathroom is particularly unusual with a old claw footed tub and brass taps.
We stayed in December and were grateful for the fire that you can light as you wish (gas with flames, not real wood!) - it really adds ambiance to an already spacious room.
The usual amenities and mini bar are on offer, with a few thoughtful extras like maps.
The location is great as well - easy walking distance into Soho and of course the lovely Bowery just around the corner for drinks.
This place is edgy and cool and beats more traditional hotels hands down.

Only criticisms would be that the TV was very old and it took us a long time to get any channels on it at all and also the iPod dock / alarm clock didn't work - but technology didn't really seem appropriate in our old-school room anyway!

Room Tip: We booked the garden room which is in the basement and has a little private terrace with chair and t...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JerseyEmily
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2011

I love this property, as it's really well located close to bowery/east village and all of the restaurants and bars that come with the neighbourhood. The rooms are a lot larger than almost anything else I've seen in the city, and it's got a laid-back feel.
The mini bar is very cool and well stocked, without being too overpriced, and the design has real character.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Colin H
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2011

After very upsetting experience at another neighborhood hotel, found this jewel of a hotel completely by accident. Beautiful 'row house' hotel built in 1848 and in excellent shape! The room was clean and comfortable furnished in elegant Victorian style. The bath was huge with an 'olympic sized' tub equipped with an overhead shower that reminded me of a tropical rain. All the room amenities (and more) of modern and more expensive hotels. The staff couldn't be more accommodating or pleasant. Great place to stay with great value, especially for NYC. Highly recommended and will definitely stay again!

Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Bruce B
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2011

Anyone staying here needs to realize this is a guest house, not a hotel. You are paying for a room only. There is no common space, no lounge, no front desk, no doorman, and no staff whatsoever after 10 pm. To charge these prices for so little in the way of services, the rooms had better be pretty great, and they are – large, beautifully if quirkily furnished, with comfortable seating, good firm bed, luxy bathroom and working fireplace. The pictures on the website are accurate. The problem is that if something goes wrong after hours, you are basically out of luck. In our case, the issue was a noisy party in the room below us, perhaps not a big deal for some people but it was very annoying for us. We tried both the operator and the “after hours” number – no answer from either. Ultimately it proved impossible to get hold of anyone on the hotel staff. The party ended eventually, but it would have been a big concern had there been something more seriously wrong. It was well into the following week before we got a call back from the hotel about our complaint. The staff when they did finally get in touch was apologetic and comped the room for that night, which we appreciated. So just be aware – lovely place in a great neighborhood, but casually managed. More like living on your own (amidst gorgeous Victoriana) than being pampered by a full service hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AMN27
Brisbane
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2010

We've just had a week in NY staying at Lafayette House. I booked it because I wanted to explore this part of Manhattan and come home to a working fireplace each chilly evening. Well - the location was great but the fireplace was a big disappointment. When I enquired about using it, I was told that as 'it wasn't winter yet' the fireplaces were not working. This seemed a bit unkind because it was definately winter weather - everyone on the streets was rugged up in overcoats and boots and scarves etc.
We arrived at around 10pm and, as arranged, collected our key from the bar next door - all good. But our room was freezing when we checked in and the central heating radiators were stone cold. I called the 'after hours' number, which our 'welcome' letter advised we must not hesitate to use, only to receive a recorded message asking me to leave a message. All very unsatisfactory. However, once we sorted out the heating (without being able to light the fire) we got used to the hotel and enjoyed the area. Lafayette House is quirky and quaint, albeit rather shabby, but I won't stay here again.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple