“Choctastic!”

Chocolate by the Bald Man, Max Brenner
Reserve with OpenTable
Chocolate by the Bald Man, Max Brenner is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #840 of 14,744 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$20 - US$30
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Manhattan
Cross street: Between 13th and 14th Streets
Transit: L, N, R, Q, W, 4, 5 & 6 trains to 14th Street/Union Square.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We visited twice during our stay and made reservations on OpenTable on both occasions which I am glad we did as it was heaving on both visits.

My husband had the steak on the first visit and found it to be delicious whilst the children and myself were delighted with the chocolate fondues!

Sadly on the second visit we found that the steak was not offered during the lunch menu so my husband was left disappointed.

We had the hot chocolates in the Alice cups and they were divine.

The staff were not particularly friendly nor attentive however it was very busy when we visited so I would like to think that was why.

Would definitely return for the fondue and hot chocolate!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,849)

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

I have had Max Brenner chocolate and was so excited to eat at this restaurant. The interior is very appealing with a chocolate shop in the front and sit down counter area to the left.
The staff, beginning to end, not good. Starting with the host, who was cold when we walked in and seemed aggrevated. Not a pleasant welcome. The waitress seemed pre-occupied and not focused. Our table was missing napkins. (We never got them) she never returned to ask us if we needed anything, if our food was ok, if we wanted refills of our drinks. The next time we saw her, was for her to ask if we wanted dessert.

The meals were mediocre. Although the food options were unique and seemed exciting, they fell short on flavor and quality. The appetizers were served without additional plates for us to actually eat the food on. The desert we choose tasted good but didn’t make up for the food or poor service.

The bathroom was dirty.

Prior to leaving, I purchased a few chocolate bars from the shop in front of the restaurant. The girl at the register focused more on watching 2 other employees attending a customer who was making a large purchase. She kept walking away while ringing up my 3 chocolate bars in order to help the other 2 employees help the large purchase customer.
From beginning to end we were made to feel unwelcomed and overlooked. All for a mediocre meal.

Reviewed 15 June 2018

TRY THE ITALIAN THICK HOT CHOCOLATE!!!! It is the most incredible hot chocolate I have ever had. I have had the milk and white chocolate versions and love them both. They transport me to Nirvana. Seriously. I also tried the Chocolate Surprise Tiramisu this trip. YUMMY!!! I loved my own little beaker of chocolate sauce to pour over it. My sister and her friend had the flatbread pizza and raved about it. Another friend really enjoyed her salted caramel hot chocolate. A crazy-busy and packed restaurant, Max Brenner's did not disappoint. Four years ago I tried their hot chocolate at Bryant Park. It was cold outside, and the hot chocolate warmed me up. This time I visited in the summer heat, but still loved the hot hot chocolate. This place is worth a visit. I am ready to go back and try more!

Reviewed 7 June 2018

Staff were preoccupied, indifferent and slow. Desserts were, mostly, impressive in size and average in quality. The kids were impressed but, otherwise, meh...

Reviewed 7 June 2018 via mobile

This was a worthy experience. Food was really tasty, dessert fondue perfect. Almost full, luckily we got a table. Recommend!